How long do you keep a crossbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Arkbow

How long do you keep a crossbow?

Post by Arkbow »

I know we all get the urge to buy new bows but how often do you buy a new crossbow? how old is your current hunting bow? how many animals have you "stacked" up with it?

I treat my bow like I would a fine gun and don't believe I'll ever sell it; it has been responsible for many meals and it has never let me down; excalibur trully makes a quality crossbow; thank you for your replies;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I first xbow was a Horton purchased in 1990, I hunted with both vertical & horizontal bows up to a few years ago. I have taken more deer than I can remember, (getting up in years), but I have enjoyed each & every hunt.

Last July I got an Exocet 200. the Excal is great. I've shot several hundred bolts with the Excal and it has responsed perfectly. I still use the Horton for sentimental reasons, but the Excal has everything over my old Horton.

I hope to be able to use the Exocet for as many years as I've had the Horton. :lol:
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Bought an Exocet in 1994, harvested 12 deer with it and sold it to a young hunter who I was mentoring into bowhunting in the year 2000. I then bought a Horton Hunter and got 2 deer that year and sold it at the end of the season, after owning an excalibur nothing else compares. 2001 bought another exocet, took 20 deer with it and sold it this year to a friend who wanted it and he took 2 deer with it in our late season. Just bought a Phoenix and am waiting for next season.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I still have the first (and crappy) crossbow I got when i was 13 (1972) and my first serious hunting xbow (a 125 lb Horton Safari Magnum I bought from the then distributor which was near my law school at Cornell in 1981).
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
wabi

Post by wabi »

Started seriously hunting with an Excalibur Vixen and used it for a couple years before I got the urge for more speed. Bought an Exocet and found it to be very good for deer hunting, probably all I needed. Then the Phoenix came out with basicly the same power & velocity on a shorter frame, so I bought one. Haven't been disappointed and probably will use it for several more years.
wabi
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

wabi wrote:Started seriously hunting with an Excalibur Vixen and used it for a couple years before I got the urge for more speed. Bought an Exocet and found it to be very good for deer hunting, probably all I needed. Then the Phoenix came out with basicly the same power & velocity on a shorter frame, so I bought one. Haven't been disappointed and probably will use it for several more years.
I got the last of the vixen deluxes-(camo, dissipator bars, machined risers) and have one of Danny's top mount bow quivers on it. It is now my main hunting bow-when our shop closed down in October of 05 I sold my two original vixen hunting rigs and upgraded to this. I have my original Exocet 165 as a back up. I have two phoenixs -- I bought them for 3D. I don't see buying another hunting crossbow in the near future
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Allan

Post by Allan »

My 1996 Vixen is still doing me fine.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Started with a gross old barnett, what a piece!. Then borrowed my brothers wolverine what a difference, actually shot a few deer. He is scared of heights so when he upgraded to an exocet I got to use it some more. About 15 deer later I finally bought my own, an old wolverine. I got a couple deer with that and then bought a new paradox that has been a wonderful xbow, (don't even have to compensate for deer drop). I love it and I have alway's admired the amazing trigger mech that EXCALIBUR produces. I helped my brother get a good deal on a paradox to compensate for his generosity not to mention alot of good blood trail fun.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!