SHOT THE STRYKER TODAY ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREYWOLF

SHOT THE STRYKER TODAY ??

Post by GREYWOLF »

:roll: :roll: Yes it is very FAST !!! Well made , and well balenced. BUT boy is this thing BIG!! and heavy, compared to my MAX or PARKER. It feel like it would be more at home in IRAQ. I got to shoot one that came back from the show , I cronoed. it at 403 , 405 and 403 FPS. It is fast and I like the idea of the cocking aid built in , I found it hard to hold (I couldn't get comfortable with holding it) it jusst seemed like holding a 50 cal . deck gun. I found that the whole kit (as it comes) with case , arrows ect.) wholesales for around $1300 THAT IS BIG BUCKS !! I would say if you have that kind of money to toss around go for it . As for me I have first dibs on the first EQUINOX that hits my shop !! Along with my new MAX I will be more than happy, Just my 2 cents worth GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

It is just to long and heavy. I have not even seen one yet but I can tell from the specs.

I tried to picture any type hunting that I do where I could actually use this xbow. I can not think of any. I would not like it in my climber, to long for my blind, and too heavy for stalking.

I really think they screwed up on the thing. I bet excal could get the same performance out of a re curve at less than nine pounds and the same power stroke. I know they could design a paradox type compound that would match its performance and probably with a 16 inch power stroke and less than nine pounds total weight.

Plus why build a heavy cocking system into an xbow. I see no good reason to do that. Who wants to carry something around you are only going to use once at the very beginning of the hunt?

I have no problem with it shooting 405 fps, like some do. I just think it is way too big.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

shurite44 wrote: Plus why build a heavy cocking system into an xbow. I see no good reason to do that. Who wants to carry something around you are only going to use once at the very beginning of the hunt?
so you just leave your cocking aid in the truck? 9lbs isnt very heavy at all if you are use to hunting with a gun. my loaded 870 weighs around that and its no problem at all to carry all day so i dont see how it would be too heavy to carry to a treestand...

this bow has been discussed so much and guess what, we already heard all the whining from people who havent even seen it in person. lets keep all the whining out of this thread and leave it for people who have actually shot the bow and people aksing questions from them. :wink: gets rather annoying reading posts about people bashing something they have never even seen before :roll:
shawn_b

Post by shawn_b »

I talk to a guy at a bow shop that shot it he said it shoot good for the first 4 shoot then he put a bum bolt in it it blew up in his hands but he said it fast a quite for a crossbow

shawn
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

shawn_b wrote:I talk to a guy at a bow shop that shot it he said it shoot good for the first 4 shoot then he put a bum bolt in it it blew up in his hands but he said it fast a quite for a crossbow

shawn
I can confirm that. I was supposed to test the bow you are talking about. When I came to Targetworld-a day after I had handled it and checked it out-I had heard that Tim had it blow up. They clocked it at around 395 for three or four shots. I saw it after the accident-not pretty.

The manager who oversees archery (Tom) did tell me it was quiet. As I have noted, it is too heavy for my hunting tastes and I can't see where I need that kind of speed. I have been shooting xbows for more than three decades and have no problems with yardage out to my maximum hunting range which is about 40 yards. If people want to spend 1700 dollars and carry a bow twice as heavy as the one I got for less than 400 (Vixen deluxe with a varizone and a Miller horizontal top quiver) that is fine with me but again, for OHIO type hunting it makes as much sense as hunting Kentucky deer with a 375 H&H double gun
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
TPM

Post by TPM »

9lbs isnt very heavy at all if you are use to hunting with a gun. my loaded 870 weighs around that and its no problem at all to carry all day so i dont see how it would be too heavy to carry to a treestand...
I agree, if you're just going to your stand it's not that big of a deal. Those who are a little more mobile or who have a long walk to their stands may have a problem with weight though. Also, it's hard to compare shotgun weight to crossbow when talking about ease of carrying. A shotgun is much more balanced. It has a more even distribution of weight between your hands and no protruding appendeges to deal with. This makes ease or carrying much nicer. My Phoenix weighs about 6 1/2 pounds, about the same as my 20ga. Citori but I can tell ya it's a lot easier and more comfortable to carry my Citori than my Phoenix. :D
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

If there's just one thing that I have learned in life, it's that everything comes with a price, and there are no free rides. Every situation comes with its own set of pros, cons and compromises, since it is known that an utopian existence is just not possible.

In understanding this fact of life, one will understand that bigger opportunies, go hand in hand with bigger risks and problems. The higher we rise, the further and harder we can fall.

In my way of thinking, it is best to travel the middle of the road. By avoiding either extreme, one hopes to maximize the benefits, while minimizing the drawbacks of both.

There'll be some that will disagree, and that is fine, as society also needs these extremists.

Having had my say, I'll step down from the pulpit, and end pontificating, lest I incite and arouse those proponents of a different school of thought.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

It’s long and heavy (actually 11 pounds) and tends to blow up? Not something I would want in a crossbow.

Maybe Bowtech should have invented some better arrows first?

I know – shoot fish arrows out of it. ;)

This is the Stryker compared to a normal length crossbow.

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Woody, I have to say you're a shrewd dude, comparing the Stryker to the Tenpoint Phantom CLS, with it's 12" limbs and which, when cocked, sports a 17.5" axle to axle length. Even so, I have to agree that the Stryker is a tad larger than would be practical for a hunting bow.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

ch312 wrote:
shurite44 wrote: Plus why build a heavy cocking system into an xbow. I see no good reason to do that. Who wants to carry something around you are only going to use once at the very beginning of the hunt?
so you just leave your cocking aid in the truck? 9lbs isnt very heavy at all if you are use to hunting with a gun. my loaded 870 weighs around that and its no problem at all to carry all day so i dont see how it would be too heavy to carry to a treestand...

this bow has been discussed so much and guess what, we already heard all the whining from people who havent even seen it in person. lets keep all the whining out of this thread and leave it for people who have actually shot the bow and people aksing questions from them. :wink: gets rather annoying reading posts about people bashing something they have never even seen before :roll:
No I carry it in my waist bag. I could hang it out on the end of my xbow though if that would make you happy. I can cock my xbows without it anyway, LOL. I am sure I could hand pull this one also though.

Sometime I wonder if people read their own posts before they post, LOL.

Sorry I am annoying you, LOL. Not sure if this forum has the ignore button but it can be your friend. You are one of those rocket Scientists that just knows if someone disagree's with you they are whining and making things up.

Guess what Einstein, I have just as much right to post my opinions on here as you. I also stated I have not shot the thing, so I made sure the other members knew it was an opinion based on the specs. Guess what it is twice as heavy as many other xbows. You don't think that might be a factor in carrying it. I did not think I was really going out on a limb with that theory, LOL.

I guess my point is this. If you are going to design a new product that you advertise as a giant tech breakthrough then you have to pass some smell tests. One would be is your product twice as heavy as the competition? If it is you probably have not made any great break strides in technology.

If someone is strong enough to carry it more power to them. I am six foot tall 230, in shape and it is too heavy in my opinion for me. I just don't see there being a giant demand for this thing. I don't know that many people stronger than me to be honest, I know there are many in the world but out or that group how many buy xbow's. Lets wait and see, but I bet you they will need to scale the size down before this thing really takes off. And I am not talking about the rush to get one to have the biggest and baddest. I am talking about the general xbow hunter replacing his current xbow with this one.

Give me a 7 lbs xbow, 405 fps with a 14 inch power stroke and that is a technology break through. This is not, it is simply making an xbow bigger and faster, tenpoint and excal could easily do this. They don't because they know a 12 pound xbow is not going to sell over time.

I wish them luck and harbor no ill will, but it is a discussion topic and I gave my opinion.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Besides width, is there any advantage to the swept back limbs. It seems to make the xbows too long to me. I would think sweeping them forward and shortening the xbow would be the way to go.

What am I missing on this?
Last edited by shurite44 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

TPM wrote:
9lbs isnt very heavy at all if you are use to hunting with a gun. my loaded 870 weighs around that and its no problem at all to carry all day so i dont see how it would be too heavy to carry to a treestand...
I agree, if you're just going to your stand it's not that big of a deal. Those who are a little more mobile or who have a long walk to their stands may have a problem with weight though. Also, it's hard to compare shotgun weight to crossbow when talking about ease of carrying. A shotgun is much more balanced. It has a more even distribution of weight between your hands and no protruding appendeges to deal with. This makes ease or carrying much nicer. My Phoenix weighs about 6 1/2 pounds, about the same as my 20ga. Citori but I can tell ya it's a lot easier and more comfortable to carry my Citori than my Phoenix. :D
something else comes into play with weight also. This year I got into a standoff with my first buck. I had to hold the xbow up in shooting position for a good 1-2mins and after a minute, the weight starts taking its toll on you. 6 pounds isnt much, but over time it feels like 60. Make it 9pounds and well...... In a bow, I want the lightest and fastest made. Thats why I went with xcal;) Bows are different fromt guns, you need something lightweight since 9 times out of 10 you dont have a rest and usually have to get ready long before the shot presents itself. With a gun, you can move much quicker and take shots you couldnt with a bow;) just food for thought :D 8)

oh and like you said, its much easier to carry a heavy gun into the woods compared to a light xbow. Its just because of the dyamics 8)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

shurite44 wrote:Besides width, is there any advantage to the swept back limbs. It seems to make the xbows too long to me. I would think sweeping them forward and shorting the xbow would be the way to go.

What am I missing on this?
im guessing it just looks different, so its a cool fad? I like sticking with what works;)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

From what I'm reading . . .looks to me like it's heavy, expensive, looks cool, is FAST and it broke once. There's a market for that! Most of us are not in that market.

Anyway, there are a lot of "differences". Most don't appeal to me. However, if I see one out there and I get the offer. . .I'm going to shoot it. Probably will never buy one, but, it would be fun to pull the trigger on that thing and see how fast it shoots and see if it falls apart. I'll bet it's fast and doesn't fall apart.

That's called building interest and Stryker has done a good job of that. Even on this forum, there is interest. Otherwise, I would have never known of it's existence.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cedrus

Re: SHOT THE STRYKER TODAY ??

Post by Cedrus »

GREYWOLF wrote::roll: :roll: Yes it is very FAST !!! Well made , and well balenced. BUT boy is this thing BIG!! and heavy, compared to my MAX or PARKER. It feel like it would be more at home in IRAQ. I got to shoot one that came back from the show , I cronoed. it at 403 , 405 and 403 FPS. It is fast and I like the idea of the cocking aid built in , I found it hard to hold (I couldn't get comfortable with holding it) it jusst seemed like holding a 50 cal . deck gun. I found that the whole kit (as it comes) with case , arrows ect.) wholesales for around $1300 THAT IS BIG BUCKS !! I would say if you have that kind of money to toss around go for it . As for me I have first dibs on the first EQUINOX that hits my shop !! Along with my new MAX I will be more than happy, Just my 2 cents worth GREYWOLF
Thanks for the review GW. Sounds like an awesome bow for stand hunting!! :wink: :lol: But it's not for me. I have enough xbow in my Ten Point Woodsman Plus, just wish it was a whole lot quieter.
It's nice to hear from people who have actually had a chance to handle and shoot it.
Last edited by Cedrus on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.