SHOT THE STRYKER TODAY ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

[quote="sumner4991"] I'll bet it's fast and doesn't fall apart.
quote]

It would also be a nice bow for roadrunner hunting :D the extra 80fps would come in handy trying to hit one running by 8) :lol:
Allan

Post by Allan »

I know I'm on shaky ground here so I'll try to tread lightly

I own a Vixen with carved tips. I have never cronoed (sp) it, but I believe it shoots in the 270- 280 f/s range. My comfortable shooting range is 27 yards. I have taken 2 deer with it, both at 17 yards. One was a pass through the other was a strange shot that deflected off the shoulder bone, through the stomach... both were deadly shoots. The bow is suited for the deer hunting I do. I love this bow!

Excalibur makes crossbows that shoot 385 f/s, and from what I have read most owners of these fast bows LOVE them. I have read a few postings of folks who have stepped back from the fastest bows, and have gone with Exocet and the likes for practical shooting reasons.

Seeing this new bow that is seeming faster than Excalibur, my question is this: If Excalibur was to produce a crossbow that shot 500 or 600 f/s how many of us would be lured by it?
Would it be more powerful than necessary to bring down any game? Absolutely
Would it expand our hunting range? Maybe a bit.
Would it be a novelty to behold? For SURE!!
Is the idea of more power an attraction to some folks? Definitely

I think I have answered my question as to why there is a demand for more speed.
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I've been reading allot about the stryker on several different forums. The two positive comments are the speed and the quietness. All other comments are in the negative. These negative comments, I'm finding, are a real turn off to a stryker purchase by anyone, like myself, who's planning to upgrade there crossbow(s). For the cost of a stryker, I can purchase at least, two excalibers, depending on which model. I can get FPS from 285, to 350. The weight is approximately 6 pounds or 2.72 kilograms. That's 5 pounds light then the stryker.

I know my Barnett Quad 300s are on borrowed time because of strings, and the more I hear about the stryker, the less I think about upgrading to one. The excaliber presents a far superior deal all the way around.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Allan wrote:I know I'm on shaky ground here so I'll try to tread lightly

I own a Vixen with carved tips. I have never cronoed (sp) it, but I believe it shoots in the 270- 280 f/s range. My comfortable shooting range is 27 yards. I have taken 2 deer with it, both at 17 yards. One was a pass through the other was a strange shot that deflected off the shoulder bone, through the stomach... both were deadly shoots. The bow is suited for the deer hunting I do. I love this bow!

Excalibur makes crossbows that shoot 385 f/s, and from what I have read most owners of these fast bows LOVE them. I have read a few postings of folks who have stepped back from the fastest bows, and have gone with Exocet and the likes for practical shooting reasons.

Seeing this new bow that is seeming faster than Excalibur, my question is this: If Excalibur was to produce a crossbow that shot 500 or 600 f/s how many of us would be lured by it?
Would it be more powerful than necessary to bring down any game? Absolutely
Would it expand our hunting range? Maybe a bit.
Would it be a novelty to behold? For SURE!!
Is the idea of more power an attraction to some folks? Definitely

I think I have answered my question as to why there is a demand for more speed.
I understand everything you said and nothing is shaky about it.. I dont care about range though since I hunt the same with guns as I do a bow. I want them 25 yards and under. 95% of everything I shoot is under 30 yards so the added range wouldnt do me any good. I personally dont want a quicker shooting bow. 300-320 is fast enough for me. I want something that shoots 300-320 and is quiet like a compound bow. I doubt that ever happens but I can hope. If someone does make a xbow thats extremely quiet and shoots over 300fps then I would be tempted. Even with the bow that shoots 400+, most states wouldnt allow it since top fps is 325ish or something?

I went excal for ease of use, speed, and feel. If a string breaks, you can fix it yourself in minutes. Its very user friendly.. the 400+fps bow looks to dang complicated LOL
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Moxie wrote:I've been reading allot about the stryker on several different forums. The two positive comments are the speed and the quietness. All other comments are in the negative. These negative comments, I'm finding, are a real turn off to a stryker purchase by anyone, like myself, who's planning to upgrade there crossbow(s). For the cost of a stryker, I can purchase at least, two excalibers, depending on which model. I can get FPS from 285, to 350. The weight is approximately 6 pounds or 2.72 kilograms. That's 5 pounds light then the stryker.

I know my Barnett Quad 300s are on borrowed time because of strings, and the more I hear about the stryker, the less I think about upgrading to one. The excaliber presents a far superior deal all the way around.
another downside would be bhead choice.. everyone could forget shooting expandables since those would blow open without a doubt. Most question them on just the 330-350fps exomax..
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I may be wrong but I believe there are some states that have a maximum poundage so this bow could not be used there .If this race keeps up I could forsee a speed limit for all archery seasons .JMO
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ohio has a 200LB limit but nothing on FPS .... :D stryker is only 175LB .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Duey

Post by Duey »

Illinois is the same as Ohio

Duey
xeon

Post by xeon »

Allan wrote:
Well, you can count me IN for the 600fps model :lol:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Not trying to cause any problems for here in ont. there is no poundage limit .
Digger

Post by Digger »

Doe Master wrote:Not trying to cause any problems for here in ont. there is no poundage limit .
No poundage limits, but there will be speed limit at a lot of archery clubs. Many won't let xbows shoot at their targets now, thinking speed destroys their targets . Poundage is OK for 3D, but speed is over 100 fps too fast. You'll need to use sections of rebar to get the speed down.

For turkey season, even with a couple of grapplers on a bolt it won't stop 400 fps.

I can certainly see buying a crossbow for big game , another for small game and another for target shooting. :wink: :shock:
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: Like I said the STRYKER is a well made weapon !! it has it's good features, and it's not so great features. I would if !! I had the extra $$$ have one just in case snipers are needed our to protect our homeland,or if we have to re slaughter the BISON . Just jokeing :lol: :lol: , As I am pro EXCALIBUR like most of the folks here, I can poke fun at things that arn't too my likeing, but change is going to hapen , weather we jump on the train or not !!,and in all fairness , industry is built on modifacation of one Idea and taken to another level.!! I started out 40 years ago with a 60 # long bow and took many deer under 15 yards, do too skill not the bow , or the industry behinde it,
the main question in my mind is were is our sport going ?? TECH. or back to the basics ?? and what are we the sportsman who set the vision for an other generation going yo do ???
As a kid I remember opening day of gun season , there was not a kid over 13 in school we were all out with our folks hunting, now any one who wants to take a kid out of school to hunt is conciderd a cave man !! or a red neck !!
I think we should all draw together to support our hunting rights and not bicker over weapon choice , I dont see a winn , winn any other way
that way we need to winn hearts and minds , to keep our rights !! not decent among friends. will end our sport Just my 2 Cents GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

GREYWOLF wrote: As a kid I remember opening day of gun season , there was not a kid over 13 in school we were all out with our folks hunting, now any one who wants to take a kid out of school to hunt is conciderd a cave man !! or a red neck !!
I think we should all draw together to support our hunting rights and not bicker over weapon choice , I dont see a winn , winn any other way
that way we need to winn hearts and minds , to keep our rights !! not decent among friends. will end our sport Just my 2 Cents GREYWOLF
well said man;) I remember those days when my dad would keep me out of school for a few days off and on during hunting season. Back then it wasnt a big deal.. now if you miss school to hunt, everyone's out looking for you and when they find you you get suspended :roll:

also, like you said, change will happen and its just a matter of time. But for now, im gonna hold true to my excal;)
rutman

Post by rutman »

Question #1. Why does anyone want a bow thats gonna drive bolts behond the fletches on every target known to man?
2. When 300fps goes through 90% of deer inside 30yrds and then drives into the dirt far enough that you sometimes have to work to pull it out, why want more power?
3. If you can't get inside 30yrds of deer would it not make more sense to figure out what your doing wrong?. Rather than buy something that might encourage unethical range consideration!
4. My present bow makes my left hand sieze up and go to sleep after a long sit so weight is important. Why would anyone want a heavier bow?
5. Bolts and heads are expensive. Who wants a bow that you may only get a second shot before it has to be repaired or replaced? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rutman wrote:4. My present bow makes my left hand sieze up and go to sleep after a long sit so weight is important. Why would anyone want a heavier bow?
I forgot all about that also.... if you dont have a rest or somewhere to hang the bow, then I usually have to rest it on my leg, which suks after 20mins since my leg is numb from the weight. Then that makes the whole hunting in the stand experience crap cause you have to move to get feeling back LOL.

like everyone though, some want the fastest made.. but normally they end up going back to the one thats not the fastest, but works better in day to day situations.. I think thats why some went back to the phoenix and the exocet for hunting