If you could share one tip to be more accurate, it woulde be

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Andre Leblanc

If you could share one tip to be more accurate, it woulde be

Post by Andre Leblanc »

In my 20 years in the Air Force, the one way we would minimize repeated errors and significantly increase the learning curve, would be by sharing lessons learned. It's amazing how one can learn from others experiences, good and bad. I am very new to crossbow, hence, I want to learn from you old farts (it's ok my wife calls me a dinosaur). If everyone could think of thier 3 best tips that would make a xbow archer better and share it with the family (that's us), it would be much appreciated. Merci.
Last edited by Andre Leblanc on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
diesel

Post by diesel »

Sorry @ 42 I do not think of my self as old.
1) Practice shooting often.
2) That care of the land owner and the land.
3) Hunt the wind.
4) Always besure of your target and beyond.
M&M

Post by M&M »

when shooting at deer, follow thru.... by this I mean keep your sights or scope on target after you have pulled the trigger try to see the arrow hit the target through the scope, try to avoid the mistake of dropping the bow down to quickly to see the reaction of the deer because in doing this you can obviously pull your shot off target, I have done it and I am sure many others have too. so when I have a shot at a deer I am allways reminding myself stay on target and follow thru. M&M
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

This was about accuracy right?

I vote for consistent arrows, I make my own and do so in a very picky way. :D

If I was allowed 2 votes I would say keeping an eye on brace height and keeping the bow maintained. That was three, buy hey, I am on a roll..

know your limits, practice often and not just on the nice days, take the bow out in the rain/wind/snow and shoot from every distance you are comfortable with. You will be ready for the bad days and an outstanding shot on the good ones.

Be consistent, in your stance and in the way you hold your crossbow.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

For accuracy I'd go along with the follow through as the most important thing to remember. Longbow, compound, or crossbow if you don't develop the habit of following through you will never gain consist accuracy. With the crossbow I like to keep the crosshair on the target until the arrow hits.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My top 5 accuracy issues . . .

1. Projectile consistancy
2. Bow maintance
3. Breathing technique
4. Proper trigger pull/squeeze
5. Follow-through
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TPM

Post by TPM »

1) Trigger control
2) Trigger control
3) Trigger control

This includes breathing, proper grip and squeeze. In the time that I've spent coaching rifle shooters bad trigger control was the number detrement to consistant shooting. You can tweak and modify your equipment all you want but if your shooting technique is off it's all for nothing. It's impossible to critique yourself. You need some one qualified to watch your every move and give you feedback.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What M & M said...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Since you limited us to our "Top Three," I'll play by the rules:

1. Get CLOSER
2. Get STEADIER
3. Get SMOOTHER
Grizz
Rich

Post by Rich »

1. Number your bolts with a permanent marker, I just write on the vane.

2. Weed out your bad bolts, I have drove myself crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't shoot consistent groups when I had a bad bolt or 2 in the mix.

3. I shot one bolt through the entire shooting session, a lot more walking back and forth but it's easier sighting in.

4. I use my best shooting bolts for my hunting arrows, I also shoot each bolt with a broadhead and weed out the bad ones.

Rich
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

True diesel, at 42 you're not old, inputs from farts of all ages is good. I know I said top three but if you have more tips just keep them comming, we will all learn from them; and more importantly, I did seem to put the focus on accuracy, but if you have hunting tips from transportation to maintenance, then please share them.
Thanks again, I 'm sure this will help many.

Andre (no that old fart)
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I feel yardage estimation is the most important part of crossbow shooting.the arrow starts to drop when it leaves the bow.a few yds off makes a big difference.shoot as many 3-d shoots as you can,this will show you how good you realy are.buy a range finder you can afford,I dont think a bow hunter should be without one.practise shooting up and down hill steep angles.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

[quote="Pydpiper"]This was about accuracy right?

I vote for consistent arrows,

Same here. Weigh your arrows and try each one to see if they all fly true. You may be surprised.
swiftfox

tips

Post by swiftfox »

Andre It's ok to be a dinosaur. I qualify for dinosaurett status.

My three are 1. be comfortable with the bow you are shooting

2. Know your own ability and limitations

3. Have fun at what your are doing cause that is the most important part.

From one dinosaur to another.
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

1: Let the small bucks or first deer you see go. 9 times out of 10 the bigger buck is 5-10mins behind!

2: Expect the UNEXPECTED! Never go hunting and expect a deer to walk a certain path. About 80% of the time, deer come in from behind your tree or from a direction you havent even thought of taking a shot from. You can practice all you want at home(which does help), but once in the woods its a different ball game

3: Set limits! Its no reason you cant get a deer within 30 yards sooner or later. Move tree stands if you have to get closer. In the early season deer move the same paths over and over. Dont risk a 50 yard shot when you could get within 20 yards tomorrow. To me its more thrill to have a deer 5-10 yards than taking a shot on something 30+ :lol: