If you could share one tip to be more accurate, it woulde be

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

just before you pull that trigger( make sure of the target ) once you pull the trigger it is too late.

a old fart,,74,, hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
lotusnight45

Post by lotusnight45 »

Heavy arrows with a high FOC% make your xbow more efficient and accurate. I like 640 grain arrows with a min. 20% FOC and very small fletching in my exomax. Currently the newer razor feather it is 2" and very quiet for a feather with amazing stabalizing effect. As a bonus the heavy arrows with the high Front Of Center % have almost no wind drift even at extended ranges. To top it all off the bow will be very silent and have almost none of the vibration it has with a fast light arrow. So within hunting ranges you lessen the chance of string jump and the trajectory of the arrow within the normal hunting range out to say 20-30yds is not effected to much.

I also agree with all the above and would add that in my opinion perfect practice makes perfect. Just because you do something alot doesn't mean you will be good at it. So quality practice is much more important in accuracy than quantity.

Nice post lots of good info from you guys

Lotus
taxman

Post by taxman »

keep your rail lubed :D every 6-8 shots. notsureif this was mentioned but the "proshop" guy told me to only cock the bow w/ a cocker(no fingers) :?
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

Thanks guys, keep them comming. This is exactly what I was envisioning this topic would deliver. These lessons learned are a wealth of knowledge we can all benefit from.
By the way, I did splerge and baught a Ameristep Penthouse after I installed it in Jim Bows Archery's backyard. Just the right size for a guy that is 6'1" 240 lbs.
Can't wait. How many days 'bstout' ?

later,
Andre
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Image Buy an Excalibur? Image
LOL

Since I am new to the sport; there isn't much I can add to this amazing thread. But as a helpful tip... If your plastic vanes are bent, you can put them over kettle steam for a couple seconds, they should straighten out :D
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Can some discribe what is bad/good trigger pull. I an having a hard time tring to correct for this.
xbowhunter

Post by xbowhunter »

Being new to the xbow the one thing that has helped me the most is staying on target after the shot. Good follow thru is essential to a good shot. :D
Scott
American Crossbow Federation
Safari Club-AK Chapter
Excalibur Phoenix
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I thought the correct way to squeeze the trigger on a crossbow was opposite of a rifle, a quick tug opposed to pulling gently?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

I thought the correct way to squeeze the trigger on a crossbow was opposite of a rifle, a quick tug opposed to pulling gently?
The only time you would want to "tug" or "slap" the trigger is with a shotgun. That's because with shotgunning it's more about timing on a moving target than it is about trying to hold steady on a stationary target. This is especially important if you use a "swing through" style as opposed to a "sustained lead" style.
Do not jerk but squeeze gently. When shooting any thing with a trigger it going off should supprise you. By that I mean if you jerk the trigger or pull it hard you pretty much know when it is going to go bang in a gun or release the arrow in a crossbow. By squeezing it off you will not be sure until it happens then you follow through as the other guys said.
Actually, the last thing you want is to be suprised. With a properly set up trigger you should know EXACTLY when it's going to let go. It's all part of getting used to the weight of a particluar trigger and developing muscle memory. If you don't know when a trigger will break you will develop a flinch. An added tip for trigger control, take several controlled breaths then when you're ready to pull the trigger breath in, exhale half of the breath, hold and squeeze. This will help prevent you from developing shakes.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Lots of good points here. There isn't much I can say that hasn't allready been mentioned so I will repeat a couple things.

As far as accuracy goes, practice makes perfect. But don't just practice in your wide open back yard or range. Practice in conditions you will find in the feild. Shoot without a rest, while standing, crouching, sitting, laying down, etc. Shoot down from your deck or out of your stand and up hill as well. Shoot in all weather conditions, at all temperatures, and light conditions. Learn the trajectory of your bolts then put your target in the woods and try shooting through or around branches to learn how small a branch can be to knock your bolt way of course or how big a hole can be for you to thread a bolt through it. Put your target in an over grown field and learn what it is like to shoot through tall grass. Don't just shoot at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards. Shoot at 5, 15, 23, 27, 34, 38 yards and learn how to adjust for situations when the shot isn't a perfect increment of 10 yards. Put your target in the woods and try wandering around and taking shots at it from different angles and yardages. Don't use your rangefinder for every shot but guess so that you can learn to judge distances by eye. In short, become one with your xbow. Learn what it will do at anytime and in any situation and learn proper shooting technique to gain confidence in your abilities because confidence is key as well as knowing when it's ok to take the shot.

If you hunt from tree or ground stands, make shooting lanes and use ribbons or stakes to mark yardages all around and not just where you think the deer will come from.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
lotusnight45

Post by lotusnight45 »

lv2hunt.

Nice, That is some good advice. A person who does not know how to use thier bow in every situation is really just cheating themselves. Being one with your bow when the time comes will make the shot instinct as opposed to learned. When a person truly knows thier xbow they know its "personality" its little quirks and temperments. I am a firm believer in knowing a weapon so well that it becomes an extention of you. When I first bought my exomax I had it with me everywhere I went until it became unatural not to have it in my hands. Every time I went for a hike in the mountains, camping, or just down the dusty roads near my home. I shot at all different ranges in all different possitions, temps, weather etc.

Great thread.
TPM

Post by TPM »

As far as shotguns go you do not have to jerk them either a smooth squeeze still works.
Personally, I use a fast squeeze when shotgunning but there is a real movement these days amongst trap/skeet/sporting clays shooters and coaches for this whole trigger slap thing. The logic is that with any shotgunning your front hand should be doing the most controlling of your swing and your rear hand should have less grip and just follow. Some shooters are claiming that if you use a traditional trigger squeeze method that it causes a stronger grip by your rear hand at the time you pull the trigger and this can throw off your swing.
Well the way I always heard it was it should supprise you. Not totally I guess its hard to explain the main thing is squeezing the trigger not jerking it. I mean you know its going to go off,but sqeezing it gently its not a jerk boom. All I know is I know how to and can shoot well so what I am doing works.
You're propably more aware of exactly when your trigger breaks than you think. If what you're doing works than keep at it! :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
ch312

Post by ch312 »

practise shooting at long range. i dont even bother target shooting under 50 yards anymore because the exomax is too accurate so its pointless under that range :D

i usually shoot at 90-100 yards with my exomax. my theory is if i can shoot accuratly at that those ranges than anything within range when hunting will be an easy shot. when hunting the farthest shot id ever take is 50 yards but most shots are 30 or less anyways.
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

Not AGAIN! jh45gun, if you want to flog this horse again do it in the 200 yds topic area. I do not want to see this argument regurgitated again. Not here! If you need closure on this topic, PM him and sort it out.
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OK . . .trigger pull vs. trigger jerk. We discussed this before at some point. I like knowing exactly when my bolt is leaving the bow. Therefore, I pull the trigger. Squeezing the trigger gives me way too much time to think about missing. I want my cross on the target and the bolt on it's way at the same time. The best way for me to describe the difference between a pull and a jerk . . .if you jerk, you use some part of your arm or hand to pull the trigger, not just the finger. Pull with the finger. . .pull as hard and as fast as you want, it will still be a clean release as long as you only use the finger.

Now for the 100 yard or 200 yard or whatever shot . . .I think what jh45gun is getting at is whether an Excalibur can be set up to shoot a 20 yard target and then shoot a 100 or 200 yard target without making major adjustments. I know guys that adjust the scope ring, however, I don't know the limits. I think you can go from 20 yards to 70 yards by simply knowing how to adjust the scope ring . . .someone with more knowledge might be brave enough to jump in . . .never tried it myself.

Back to the trigger pull vs. trigger jerk . . .if you want to know if you can pull the trigger without jerking it. Try some speed shooting. See how quickly you can shoot 5 shots and still have 2 inch groups from 30 yards. It's my favorite type of practice. Plus, it's a whloe lot closer to the type of rushed shooting you do when the buck you've been waiting for enters your crosshairs.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen