ATA show

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

ATA show

Post by Woody Williams »

Lots of hunting “celebrities” at the ATA show.

As soon as I walked through the entrance door into the hall I bumped into Myles Keller. I had not seen Myles in a couple years so we spent about 15 minutes catching up. He said that he didn’t kill any deer last year; he said that he spent enough time in Kansas to almost be a resident. He did say that they glassed a buck on ground next to where they hunt that was “the biggest buck that he had ever seen”. I asked him if that meant it was a 200 class buck and he said,” I’m talking world record class”. Knowing Myles I believe him.

No picture of Myles as he is somewhat shy on that stuff.

Other “hunting celebrities that I saw was Harold Knight, Randy Ulmer, Jay Gregory, Bill Troubridge, Chuck Adams, Jimmy Houston :roll: , Lee and Tiffany Laskosky.

My son wanted his picture taken with Tiffany, but backed out when we got over there.

Lots of big antlered deer. Most were repros though.

This one is the famous “Amish Buck” from Ohio. It was displayed in the Horton booth,.

The Hoyt booth…

PSE was out in “force”..

The PSE X Force Super Short was something else. Sorry did not get a picture of it.

The Bowtech booth

The Limbsaver booth. Very interesting bows..

Bear Archery new The Truth II limbs. The limbs are no bigger around that your little finger. They do flare on the tips.

The American Whitetail Archery Target booth. The fellow in the black shirt standing in the front is the elk record holder for Idaho.

The firing line where you could shoot any manufacturer’s bow

Pearson has a new bow called Deliverance that has a rangefinder built in. Yoi u sight in on the deer and the rangefinder will tell you what yardage. You then use the appropriate red dot form the three. The range finder also has scanning ability so if the deer is approaching the range finder will change to give you the correct yardage. That is the oblong opening at the top. The round opening is the rest that is true center shot. It can take either a drop away or a Whisker Biscuit. With different cams the bow can go from right to left-handed. 318 FPS IBO.

Some of the crowd.. Kind of sparse, but it was due to pick up Friday and Saturday. Thursday is the day to go and not fight the crowds.

CROSSBOWS.

Lots of new ones. The crossbow market is the biggest growing market in archery.

Eastman has entered the crossbow market.

TenPoint was there with their new lineup of Phantom Extra and their two new recurves.

Excalibur was showing off the 25 year anniversary model - the Y25 Relayer. Very nice.

Interesting “backwards” crossbows. I found all of them a bit unwieldly in handling..

This manufacturer was the original. Sorry, but the name escapes me.

This is the Horton “backwards crossbow”. The adjustable stock and fore arm was nice.

A Russian made version.

Leopro Armcross

I went by to check out the Middleton crossbow at their booth and they weren' there. What I mean is the booth was empty....no show?

On the way out of town.. The new Colt’s stadium under construction. It is BIG..

We buzzed through pretty quick. Total time there including lunch at the Marriot (Thanks Al Rinehart) was 6 hours. Next year I’m going back for two days to spend more time looking, asking questions and just general BSing.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Digger

Post by Digger »

Thanks for a great report on the show Woody,good number of xbows and great pictures. Thanks for everything.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Thats awesome! My buddies were there, they were running the Whitetail World booth.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great report Woody .My friends from Monster bow are at the show can hardly wait to hear what they have to report .
wabi

Post by wabi »

Woody,
Did you handle the Horton "backwards" crossbow?
Just curious as to how it feels & "balances". Would it be a possibility for a small framed 7 year old to shoot?
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

wabi wrote:Woody,
Did you handle the Horton "backwards" crossbow?
Just curious as to how it feels & "balances". Would it be a possibility for a small framed 7 year old to shoot?
Wabi,

I did and thought it to be unbalanced. It did have adjustability in the stock so one could shorten it up for a youngster.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks Woody for the report, where are all the other pics of Tiffany. I believe I'd have spent all day at her booth. :lol: Kinda funny the Middleton guy didn't show, guess that speaks huge words for his reputation.

Rich
saxman

Post by saxman »

Great pictures,thanks for sharing.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Re: ATA show

Post by Pydpiper »

Woody Williams wrote: I went by to check out the Middleton crossbow at their booth and they weren' there. What I mean is the booth was empty....no show?
Excellent review Woody! Almost felt like I was there, still terribly jealous though. :D Travel safe and keep us informed!
middletons booth wasn't empty, it was actually full, full of stuff he invented himself.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I was there Friday and part of Saturday. Spent a fair amount of time talking to Dan Miller (sorry to hear that he lost a grandkid suddenly-no medical explanation yet). Great guy-tough loss. Talked to Bill about offering a front sight bracket on the APEX so that owners could easily add a serious (like a surelock or copper john) sight to the rig. The RELAYER looks really nice-the stock is very well made. I handled all the bows-I still prefer the non-thumbhole stock (the TH stock is a bit more difficult to flip the safety without moving your hand).

I shot the Ten Point recurve bow-the last time the show was in Indy, our friends Ann Clark and Ann Hoyt introduced Liz and I to the Ten Point bows (these grand dames of archery were hunting with Ten Points on their "Diana's" archery hunts for ladies) people and one of the TP guys asked me for recommendations and I told him how I preferred recurves :D

It wasn't too bad-light bow, the recoil and vibration wasn't bad. I didn't see a Middleton booth there-I did see the russian and horton backward bows (I shot the original version from Iowa 3 years ago) and some new brand of split limb xbow I cannot remember
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach