new excalibur broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowkidd

new excalibur broadheads

Post by xbowkidd »

has anyone tried the bolt cutters yet? http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/m ... ent_id=118
Team Dryfire
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

no i think their still pretty new
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Can anyone explain why they make such a heavy broadhead. Is it to help F.O.C.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

2 reasons.

1) FOC-

The higher the weight at the tip, the more accurate.

2) More KE-

Archers are always modifying bolt setups based on game being hunted. There is a general trade off to take advantage of. On one hand you can opt for a light bolt, and achieve maximal bolt velocities. on the other hand, you can opt for a heavy bolt, for maximal penetration, reduced wear on the limbs, and less noise. Generally speaking, very few shoot a 350Grain bolt (Excalibur's minimum weight for a bolt), and very few shoot bolts past 600Grains. Reasons? Both sides have advantages, most archers choose a bolt somewhere in the mix to take advantage of both sides.

1 more point to add.

Archers for centuries had been hunting deer with bolts traveling significantly less than 300FPS. Which proves speed is something you should be able to sacrifice. Whether you are shooting at 355FPS, or 255FPS I doubt the deer would know the difference. On the Other hand, a pass through could mean the difference between a wounder deer, and a dead one. Therefore almost everyone sacrafices velocity for penetration.

With the HUGE velocities coming out of Excalibur's, we have more velocity to sacrifice than most, therefore we can opt for a heavier broadhead than most, giving us more penetration than most. Since most don't need these heavy broadheads, Excalibur produces their own =D
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Aside from the weight, they look a lot like a 3 blade Muzzy (Bad thru the Bone) to me. For Whitetail, last double lung only went 25 yds with a 4 blade 100 gr. Muzzy. Guess I'll stick with that. :D
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Who is going to be the first to give them a try and let us know how thsy are :?: :lol:
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

i just ordered a set, so i should know in about a week or so.
Team Dryfire
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Look cool but I'm Slicked clear clean through.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

What I want to know is do they make a 150 grain practice point? Riley and I were just at our local archery shop doing some practicing on the indoor range and they didn't carry anything heavier than 125 grains. Would you not need a 150 grain point to sight in properly?

Dave
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

curmudgeon wrote:Aside from the weight, they look a lot like a 3 blade Muzzy (Bad thru the Bone) to me. For Whitetail, last double lung only went 25 yds with a 4 blade 100 gr. Muzzy. Guess I'll stick with that. :D
They look like Sullivan Innerloc broadheads to me. If so I expect that they will perform well. I am looking forward to hear how they perform.

Bob

http://www.innerloc.com/Pages/products.htm
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

They look very interesting to me, they may have a winner right there. I like that they are heavy but still have a smaller profile they should fly well. I have shot wasp boss bullets since they have been available and they are scarry accurate and have done the job well but I like the idea of the extra wieght yet small profile should penetrate like nothing I have ever tried before. I might just order some as well. :o
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

What I want to know is do they make a 150 grain practice point? Riley and I were just at our local archery shop doing some practicing on the indoor range and they didn't carry anything heavier than 125 grains. Would you not need a 150 grain point to sight in properly?
you can just use a brass insert to make up the weight. if you shoot the aluminum insert with the boltcutter it will be about 180 grains, and if you shoot a brass insert with 75 grain field point then you have 185 grain practice setup, thats the solution that i came up with. let me know if you have any better ideas.
Team Dryfire
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

xbowkidd wrote:
you can just use a brass insert to make up the weight. if you shoot the aluminum insert with the boltcutter it will be about 180 grains, and if you shoot a brass insert with 75 grain field point then you have 185 grain practice setup, thats the solution that i came up with. let me know if you have any better ideas.
You could also add one or two "Aftershock Boosters"

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Arc ... 24608.html

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire