The fall turkey hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

The fall turkey hunt

Post by Pydpiper »

Can someone explain this to me, is it going to overlap bow season or does bow season stop to allow the use of shotguns?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Over lap, just read most threads on it. It is all out in Black and white...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
swiftfox

fall turkey hunt

Post by swiftfox »

Pyd -- it is going to overlap bow season in some MU areas. starts Tuesday after Thanksgiving and last for two Sundays. Yes you are going to have Turkey hunters in the wood with you with guns.
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've heard this fall season is a rumor and not happening... :?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Not a rumor TYE. It has been approved and I believe it's in the regs already. Only certain areas are open for a fall hunt.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Digger

Post by Digger »

A fall wild turkey hunting season has been approved in Wildlife Management Units 64, 67, 68, 73, 76, 77, 78, 81, 82, 84, 89, 90, 92, and 93. The season will run each year from the Tuesday following Thanksgiving until the second Sunday following Thanksgiving.

Regulations for the fall season vary slightly from the spring, so the O.F.A.H. is strongly encouraging hunters to thoroughly review the regulations before the season opens. Whereas in the spring hunters may purchase two licences and harvest a season total of two birds over two or more days, the fall limit is one bird per hunter, per season. Unlike the spring season, fall harvested wild turkeys may be of either gender, with or without a beard.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A search didn't pull up anything on here, never does..

It is unfortunate about the overlap, but I suspect it is just the beginning. There is no fall hunt in the WMU I hunt, but there is right across the road. It is going to be an interesting season.
Thanks guys!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Personally, I don't see the issue with the "overlap". I run into gun hunters each fall, who are out grouse or rabbit hunting. They have just as much right. Personally, I think it it great, because there are fewer hunters each year, and hunters are voters as well :wink: .
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

Can I ask; What is the sport of killing birds in the fall? I find it much more injoyable to hunt these majestic birds when they are proclaiming their territory while chasing hens in the spring. Dont take offence, it is just something I would never do
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It is exciting to have that big gobbler sound off to your calls in the spring and beat the snot out of your jake/gobbler decoy :D .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

flbuckmaster wrote:Can I ask; What is the sport of killing birds in the fall? I find it much more injoyable to hunt these majestic birds when they are proclaiming their territory while chasing hens in the spring. Dont take offence, it is just something I would never do
jay
I asked because it came up around the campfire last weekend, and I had a hard time imagining an overlap.
As far as the "sport" of the hunt, dunno, never tried, nobody in Ontario has ever tried, this is it's first attempt here. However, I don't believe it all to be about sport, I think part of the reasoning here is wildlife management, controlling populations to help encourage a stronger cycle.
I for one would not set out to intentionally participate in the fall hunt, but I will buy a tag, and if one happens by me while I am deer hunting, I will be bringing it home. My primary hunting area is not in a WMU where the birds are open anyways.
WMU 91
Boo string
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Pydpiper wrote:
flbuckmaster wrote:Can I ask; What is the sport of killing birds in the fall? I find it much more injoyable to hunt these majestic birds when they are proclaiming their territory while chasing hens in the spring. Dont take offence, it is just something I would never do
jay
I asked because it came up around the campfire last weekend, and I had a hard time imagining an overlap.
As far as the "sport" of the hunt, dunno, never tried, nobody in Ontario has ever tried, this is it's first attempt here. However, I don't believe it all to be about sport, I think part of the reasoning here is wildlife management, controlling populations to help encourage a stronger cycle.
I for one would not set out to intentionally participate in the fall hunt, but I will buy a tag, and if one happens by me while I am deer hunting, I will be bringing it home. My primary hunting area is not in a WMU where the birds are open anyways.
Wrong !

I have Fall hunted turkeys for years in a number of different States.

Jay to start you have to be a turkey hunting nut and enjoy the quest of feat with these birds. In the fall it is another way of hunting but can lead into as much of a exciting hunt as any spring hunt.

You are not hunting trophy birds, but you will from time to time get a trophy and any Adult Gobber is a true trophy in the fall.

Most times the hunt will concised of family groups with hens and poults that can be busted up in all directions and then called back together. When a hunter sits and can hear birds coming closer from every direction and he needs to get set on one bird only it becomes a challenge. The sport is great fun and leads inbto the best tasteing birds one will ever eat.

Every time these flocks are busted it becomes that much harder to hunt these groups.

Keep an eye out for some of the fall Turkey Seminars I may be doing this early fall....
Last edited by Adrian J Hare on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Hunting Lodge
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

What??
Don't confuse me saying "nobody from Ontario" with "nobody in Ontario"
If you read the next sentence it says "this is the first attempt here", here being the key word.
I am not wrong, you are geographically challenged. :wink:
WMU 91
Boo string
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

What about, Nobody has every tried in Ontario, but from Ontario they may have......... :wink:
Ontario Hunting Lodge
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I'll buy that.. Semantics. :D
WMU 91
Boo string