Any suggestions for the best Broad head for Big Back Bear???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Paparock

Any suggestions for the best Broad head for Big Back Bear???

Post by Paparock »

Any suggestions for the best Broadhead for Big Back Bear that may weigh over 500 pounds??? That is a lot of heavy corded musle, fat and hide and I want a pass through if I can get it using an Equinox.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Papa ...

If you can get good reliable groups, stick with a sturdy cut-on-impact head like a Zwickey. You won't be sorry. Puncture-tip heads are OK, but they simply do not part hide, fat, muscle, bone and guts like a really stout, sharp two-blade. Use a bleeder insert. Some cut-on-impact three-blades are very good too.

Of course, you'll hear other opinions.
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'd make sure I used a heavier, wider head too.

Most importantly, I would place my cameraman 6 feet lower than me in the same tree. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Most importantly, I would place my cameraman 6 feet lower than me in the same tree.
Best advice yet. :lol:
Rich

Post by Rich »

What distance are you going to be shooting, is it over bait. Reason being, I loved Thunderhead 125's but I couldn't get them to group very well past 30 yards. If your shot is limited to 20 yards or less (i.e. bait pile) then they will do the job.

Rich
Paparock

Post by Paparock »

I"m totally new to this whole crossbow thing as before I was an old Longbowman so I don't know what works with these rigs. I'm dating myself but I learned archery back in the 1950s -1960s. I will be hunting spot and stalk on the ground as baiting is illegal where I am except on private proverty and I have no property. So distance will no be variable. I always used cut on contact broadheads with my longbow but I want to hit what I am aiming at also and crossbows are so touchy about broadheads.

I have read some positive comments about Slick Tricks heads and I will be using a 225lb. Equinox but has anoyone used them?

The NAP HellRazor looks interesting but will it shoot accutately?
dutchhunter

rage

Post by dutchhunter »

try the rage three blaes thy shot straght
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Paparock wrote:I"m totally new to this whole crossbow thing as before I was an old Longbowman so I don't know what works with these rigs. I'm dating myself but I learned archery back in the 1950s -1960s. I will be hunting spot and stalk on the ground as baiting is illegal where I am except on private proverty and I have no property. So distance will no be variable. I always used cut on contact broadheads with my longbow but I want to hit what I am aiming at also and crossbows are so touchy about broadheads.

I have read some positive comments about Slick Tricks heads and I will be using a 225lb. Equinox but has anoyone used them?

The NAP HellRazor looks interesting but will it shoot accutately?
I'm a Slick fan and hope to give a bear harvest report around Sept 16. One tough bhead.
"Eze 18:21"
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

150 grain Excalibur Boltcutters or 150 grain magnus snuffer, the snuffer cuts on contact.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Paparock

Post by Paparock »

Kelley wrote:150 grain Excalibur Boltcutters or 150 grain magnus snuffer, the snuffer cuts on contact.
I have been a fan of the Magnus Snuffer on my 36" arrows. Yes, I have very long arms. Tell me about how the fly out of a 225lb pull crossbow.
8up

Post by 8up »

I would shoot the heaviest arrow I could find put a brass insert in it then find a blade that flys well. Weight is a huge factor in penetration. The speed you lose won't matter.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I would feel 100% confident to use my "deer setup" on black bear. 125gr three blade Muzzys on Firebolts.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

took a huge bear last sun. nite,290 lbs. with no fat on it, with my vixen,181/2" gold tip shaft blazer vanes,G-5 stryker 125 gr. broad head easy passthrough,recovery 50 yds.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I went to G5 Striker Magnums this fall. In my Exomax they fly very accurately to 40 yards (I didn't test beyond that range). They are 125 grain and I added a 25 grain Aftershock Booster. It needed the extra 1/2 inch for the broadhead to clear the limb opening--these broad heads are 1&1/2" wide cut. I had been shooting 125 grain Slick Tricks in previous years and the trajectory loss arising from the extra weight was TINY.

Check these out if you want the widest cut and cut on contact.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Paparock

Thanks for all the good Information

Post by Paparock »

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone!!! :D I greatly appreciate it.

Has anyone tried the new Slick Trick's 1 1/4" GrizzTrick 100grain?