Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brainiac

Anyone into Falconry...

Post by Brainiac »

Anyone into or know about Falconry..
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I met some people one day when I was hunting and they were hunting with a falcon. I would call your local Conservation or Lands and Forest office to see if they can give you a lead. Then there is the information highway (WEB). You can find just about anything on here now.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Ive seen harris hawks used for hunting rabbits and pheasants.
The hawks were used with dogs.
the dogs flushed out the rabbits/pheasants and the hawks swoop down and get the game.
It was pretty interesting.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Would very much love to get myself a redtail hawk(a live one :wink: ) to chase down some cottontail, squirrels, and the occasional unsuspecting pigeon.

There is a falconry school in Tottenham. Google it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Some years back I read an article on falconry that talked about acquiring falcon and/or hawk chicks from nests in the wild. (Once acquired, you'd then raise them and train them to hunt.) Thinking back now, I can't remember the source of the article to save my life, but it seems like you could run afoul of more than a few animal protection laws doing that. Even if it's legal, I'm not sure I'd want to go nose to beak with Mama Redtail dangling 20 feet in the air from a dead tree branch.

As Ecoaster stated, your best bet is to contact your local conservation office for information.

TSV
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I do recall talking to the owner of the harris hawks and he told me you cant hunt with a native hawk as harris hawks are nonnative to canada.
He also told me the hunting season was the same for falcons as it was for us fellow hunters.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've always thought falconry would be neat to do. :D
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There's a guy here in Ar that's a master falconer. I've been out w/ him and his birds several times. He used to take a sparrow hawk [American Krestrel] around to Wal-Mart stores at night to clean out their birds that fly inside the stores. He got paid $100 for every one "they" caught. The sparrows and starlings would scream when they saw the kestrel coming for them. W/ the Kestrel, he had a window of only 5-6 hrs of "at weight" or the bird could go into shock if not fed.

All of these birds of prey have to be what's called "at weight". That means hungry. He weighes his birds and can tell when they are willing to hunt for food vs just sit in the sun on a tree branch and ignore him.

He has one red tail that he hunts crows w/. I would drive my truck w/ him and red tail in passenger seat. At 50-55 mph, this hawk bails out the window to ravage a crow in the ditch. If the crow see's him coming in time, and can get 6 wing beats off, it can escape. It can fly faster than the hawk. Even if there's only one crow on the ground when the hawk jumps [NEVER tossed] out the window, I would have to slam the brakes on the truck so he can jump out and run to retrieve the hawk before the other crows that don't seem to be around suddenly appear from no where to try and kill the hawk. It's taken hundreds of crows, btw.

He hunts Harris hawks also. They are native to Africa and are the only bird of prey that hunts in groups. They don't appear much bigger than a good sized red tail, but can take a 60 lb monkey right out of a tree.

I believe he can hunt them year round in the states, and I know he can hunt them in town.
"Eze 18:21"
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

fuel80guy wrote:I do recall talking to the owner of the harris hawks and he told me you cant hunt with a native hawk as harris hawks are nonnative to canada.
I do believe that is not true. You are allowed to hunt with indigenious or nonidigenious species. You do, however, require special permits for using indigenious species.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

A member of my local club is an avid falconer. Not sure where you are located, but if you'd like to get in touch with him, send me a PM.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount