Pennsylvania passes full crossbow inclusion...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

It was a compromise to get the 4th yea vote and the PGC threw the UBP a bone on that. Better to have full inclusion and no magnification than no full inclusion at all.

The UBP thinks not as many folks will pick up a crossbow if they cant use a scope.

Fool 'em guys. Get you a nice 1X 3 dot red dot. That'll work!!
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I agree woody, but a compromise should have been for hunters who were not disabled. Current holders of the disabled permit, as someone else stated, could have been grandfathered in. If they allowed it before, I don't see what the big deal is. Next, the pgc will want me to take the 6.5-20 Leupold off my 25-06 Rem. and go back to my old Winchester 94 30-30. I'm not saying I'm not happy with the inclusion, it just happened to be at mine and others expense. This is exactly the reason I always run for the negotiating committee in my union. I'm afraid what the knuckle heads would bring back for a contract I'd have to live with for the next 3 years. Pennsylvania will screw it up, just give them the chance. Just my 2cts.
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I would ask that you and others that feel the same way contact the PGC and voice your opinions on the no magnification rule.

It is possible taht they could come up with a waiver.

It is worth a try.

I am quite sure that some of us older folks need those scopes to adequately place our arrows where they should be.
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Woody Williams wrote:I would ask that you and others that feel the same way contact the PGC and voice your opinions on the no magnification rule.

It is possible taht they could come up with a waiver.

It is worth a try.

I am quite sure that some of us older folks need those scopes to adequately place our arrows where they should be.
that's a great idea, any permit holders are able to use scopes before the vote date....any permit holders out there hang on to them in case things are turned around in 2012...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

If anyone wants to send in comments to the PA Game Comm... this is the email address

[email protected]

I sent in my long winded 2 cents worth and actually got a replay that seems like its not in stone yet but at the next meeting could poss change
with more input from crossbow hunters..
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

yeah i have there email addy from when they tryed to get inlines in the "flintlock only season" i posted a bunch rep's email on 5 forums and got that stopped...................bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Tim50

Post by Tim50 »

I agree that the scope ban is just something to sooth the UBP's inclusion anxiety! It makes no sense and was a typical political end run! I got my Exocet on trade with a great Lumi-Zone & the fellow did not include the sights! I also added a Groundpounder quiver holder I hope a red-dot or fiber sights work with this set up!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'll bet the farm there are a ton of unused P&P sights laying around on this forum alone that can be had reasonable.
"Eze 18:21"
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Does Excalibur sell them as seperate part?

If it was me I'd be looking at a Red Dot..
Woody Williams

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

bstout wrote:I have the Ultradot 25mm on my silhouette target pistol.

I haven't tried it on any of my crossbows, but it would work fine I'm sure.

It has a single dot but it doesn't take much practice to learn how high to "hold over".

You can't accidentally use the "wrong" dot.

I have no complaints about this unit.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2008_004.htm

But, but, but... wont those electronics make it illegal for P & Y entry??
Woody Williams

chadtate

Post by chadtate »

Just listed in trading post, my vari-zone scope, cover and rings that were just mounted on my Vortex, due to PA's ban on magnified optics.
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Hold off on that scope sale.. I got this in a email this morning 1 of many from the PGC board..

Wayne - I feel there may be movement to work further on the optics issue. Sit tight until after the April BOC meeting.

James Jay Delaney, Jr., Commissioner
Pennsylvania Game Commission

So the more emails they get before the better , So fire away at them..
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Bambiblaster wrote:Hold off on that scope sale.. I got this in a email this morning 1 of many from the PGC board..

Wayne - I feel there may be movement to work further on the optics issue. Sit tight until after the April BOC meeting.

James Jay Delaney, Jr., Commissioner
Pennsylvania Game Commission

So the more emails they get before the better , So fire away at them..
I would not go jumping the gun.

The optic issue was one to get the 4th Yea vote.

That can be changed and I hope it is.

There was not a lot of fore thought on that one..

All you PA boys write, email or call your PGC and express your desire to see magnified scopes allowed.

The best reason is so that everyone can make a more accurate shot on the animal we are pursuing. No one wants a miss or worse - a wounded deer.

Be nice in your writing. Honey catches more flies than vinegar..
Woody Williams

Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Here is another issue with the new regs a few people have phoned me about and I'm not sure how to answer. The new regs talk about approved broadheads and the wording is confusing:
Under the new regulation, a crossbow must have a peak drawn weight of at least 125 pounds, and a bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inches with at least two cutting edges on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and shall not exceed three inches in length.
Does this mean only 2 blade or 4 blade broadheads are permitted since they technically have blades on the same plane or are they referring to the blades not being staggered. I wish these guys who make the rules could learn how to write in English! :? I think they mean all blades must be at the same level with an exact angle per blade like a normal broadhead.

Peter
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

They do their best with American English, but it's certainly not the Queen's English. :wink: Hopefully they'll see the light and clairify the broadhead issue as well as make a more informed choice on the optics ruling. :?
Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Here is another issue with the new regs a few people have phoned me about and I'm not sure how to answer. The new regs talk about approved broadheads and the wording is confusing:
Under the new regulation, a crossbow must have a peak drawn weight of at least 125 pounds, and a bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inches with at least two cutting edges on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and shall not exceed three inches in length.
Does this mean only 2 blade or 4 blade broadheads are permitted since they technically have blades on the same plane or are they referring to the blades not being staggered. I wish these guys who make the rules could learn how to write in English! :? I think they mean all blades must be at the same level with an exact angle per blade like a normal broadhead.

Peter