mmmmmmmmmmmm jerky

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I just had to throw out alot of jerky. It seems the wife moved my dehydrator to the garage when she was "cleaning up" for company. :evil: Its a good thing shes cute, and the kids like her :lol:
On the bright side, now I can make more, Honey Garlic!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

This is a tasty recipe

Jerky Recipe

1 and 1/2 lbs. Venison cut in thin strips.

1/4 cup of soy sauce.

1 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce.

1 Tablespoon of A-1 Steak sauce.

1/2 Teaspoon black pepper.

1/2 Teaspoon of garlic powder.

1/2 Teaspoon of onion powder.

1/2 Teaspoon of salt.

1 Teaspoon of liquid smoke.

Mix all the ingredients in a zip loc baggie adding the venison last. use your hand to mush it all around real good. Get all the air out of the baggie and seal it. Stash it in the fridge for 24 hours. Then its ready to dry either in your oven or dehydrator. 150 degrees with the oven door cocked open a smidgen for 5 to 7 hours or until its the way you like it.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Heres a stupid question: what is jerky cure? I have been buying the stuff from BPS, Its good, but at times a bit too salty for my taste. I would like to make my own but never have because of the whole "cure" thing. Is it a preservative?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Our jerky came out good, I never had the chance to heed the warning about not using the bacon mix.
I ate most of it last night, it was very salty, I think the wife overestimated the weight when it came time for the cure.
I still have about 30 pounds in the freezer, we are going to try again! This has been a very informative thread.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote: Made incorrectly it'll give you the trots! :D
We always called the affliction the "back-door-trots", Bob ... which tells you something about the way Ol' Grizz grew up! :P

Sometimes I almost miss the old days of the privy ... almost. 8) :wink:
Grizz
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

one shot scott wrote:Heres a stupid question: what is jerky cure? I have been buying the stuff from BPS, Its good, but at times a bit too salty for my taste. I would like to make my own but never have because of the whole "cure" thing. Is it a preservative?
Curing salt, also known as pink salt or saltpeter, contains 6.25 percent sodium nitrite. It is colored pink so as not to be confused with regular salt.
i know a lot of recipes call for it..but try and find a place to buy it,ive yet to find a store in toronto that sells it :shock:
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote: Saltpeter, charcoal and sulfur = Kaboom!
So much for my "Blackpowder Jerky" idea. :roll: :wink:
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

My father-in-law and I bought 50 lbs. of sodium nitrate at the Roanoke Farmer's Exchange last week ... he heard someone say that it worked wonders on fireants. I don't remember signing for it or anything.

Of course, it can be used as an oxidizer too, just like potassium nitrate (saltpeter).

I'm just hoping it won't fertilize the fireants and make them BIGGER and more vigorous! :shock: :lol:

Get this: Their 4.3 lb. bag on the store shelves (whatever happened to 5 lb. bags?! :? ) was $6.00 ... the 50 lb. bag in the warehouse was $12.99!

That doesn't even make sense. :? :?:
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

wow there is a slight price difference there :shock:
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

If you wont a good way to it try this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIK4DVLH ... re=related

8)
dumbdawg

Post by dumbdawg »

ecoaster wrote:I also use the dry spice mix from BPS and the wife and I love it! I put it in the smoker with only a half pan of wood chips, so as to not over smoke it. With this milder weather I may have to do up a batch.
what flavor of wood chips do you use