Exocet, Exomax, or Phoneix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jesuslovesyou

Exocet, Exomax, or Phoneix

Post by Jesuslovesyou »

I am looking to buy another crossbow. I had a exocet 200 that I really liked just didn't get time to use it. So, I sold it. Now, I looking to buy another. How much harder is it to pull back an exomax with the rope cocker? Would I be able to tell much of a difference for deer hunting between a phoneix and an exocet. Thanks
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world throught him might be be saved. John 3:17
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Dont know how old you are but im 19 and i have a equinox and i use the rope cocker with no problem. hope this helps
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
sneak

Post by sneak »

Split the difference! Get an Exocet! :wink:
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

What no thumbhole stock? I (had) an Equinox. At 225 lbs it was just too much bow for my aching back. I could shoot it but not a lot. Downsized to Vortex and couldn't be happier. But the Phoenix is the bow that I shoot most. Both have LumiZones set to their trajectory so I don't even notice the difference.
Jesuslovesyou

Post by Jesuslovesyou »

I appreciate the replies. I had an exocet and it was great. But, for the money I thought I would just get the phoneix if it was sufficient. I will probably be hunting 4 or 5 times a year with it. I just weight about 150 Lbs. so not sure if I want the exomax.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world throught him might be be saved. John 3:17
Allan

Post by Allan »

Even a Vixen will bring down North America's largest game.
I love mine.
dutchhunter

bows

Post by dutchhunter »

here is somthing to remember when looking at new bows .what would happen if you left your rope cocker at home or it brook on a hunt could you still shot your bow with out it .i am 6 foot 2 and 235lbs i had no problem cocking my xocet 200 with my hands but now i have the equinox and i must say the extra draw lenghtmakes a real big difference .i can just cock it once .a lighter bow would be nice for alaround hunting .but i have the need for speed .for many years we hunted and killed many deer with crossbows at 150lbs draw and never had any problems being under powered and have had many pass thru shots and big deer .it cmes down to your choice any of xcals bows will make a greathunting tool find one that fits you and that you will have confidence in and you are all set for a life time of hunting plasure DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

bstout wrote: The Excalibur Vixen is probably the most misunderstood of all models.

Some folks are too vain to shoot a Vixen but that's the way folks are. :P
Preach it, brother! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Exomax is what I have and I love it,making a properly placed shot is more important!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Esox

Post by Esox »

I too have an Exomax and a Vortex... I like'em both... The Vortex thumbhole stock is a little more confortable and it's silghtly shorter size makes it a little easier to cock, so I tend to favor it, but I've done a lot of tinkering with the Exomax and she's sweet and fast... But speed isn't the be all or end all when it comes to X-bows...Whenever people ask me about getting an X-bow, what keeps coming to mind is what Dan Miller told me about X-bows... As background, Dan Miller is an Excaliber Guru and probably knows more about these things than just about anyone else in the world of X-bows, but he says that faster's not necessarily better... Overall speed tends to make them a bit noiser (not a big problem to deal with) and puts a lot more stress on the bow parts than needed, that sometime makes more thing go wrong (again not a big problem with Excals) so his advice is shoot a bow that's most confortable and one of lesser poundage...He said that 150-175# X-bows will kill anything in North America and you'll have more fun target shooting with the lighter weight... Sounds like good advice to me.... and if Dan Miller says it... You can take that to the Bank!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I had the vortex and went to the equinox.. the exocet was more user friendly. I really didnt notice difference in cocking the equinox until those last inches.

I'd go with the vortex if I were you since its the exocet just redone with a thumbhole stock 8)
dw

Post by dw »

dan told me when i was ordering some arrows, do you just want to shoot fast or do you want to hit what your shooting at!
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Let me start off by saying I shoot and hunt with a Phoenix and it has never made me wish I had something else. The Vixen would be a close second choice, and I wouldn't feel under-bowed with a Vixen, but the Phoenix is what I now own (have also owned Vixen & Exocet) and it is my favorite.

Just read a great article in the current issue of Horizontal Bowhunter magazine last night. It was written by Ottie M Snyder, Jr. and titled:
Speed Kills?....
SOMETIMES!
The article has some good information and the author is basically saying any crossbow in the 150#/250-280fps range is plenty at 20 yards, and archery IS close range hunting!

I like his answer to - which bow is best?
The one that fits you physically and financially. Learn to shoot it well. Keep your arrows straight. Keep your broadheads sharp and tuned. And remember, archery hunting is a close up challenge between the hunter and the deer. A big part of the reward is taking that trophy at 20 yards or less.
wabi
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Wabi , you hit the nail on the head !!

[/quote

I like his answer to - which bow is best?
The one that fits you physically and financially. Learn to shoot it well. Keep your arrows straight. Keep your broadheads sharp and tuned. And remember, archery hunting is a close up challenge between the hunter and the deer. A big part of the reward is taking that trophy at 20 yards or less.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I had a Phoenix and sold it and went to an Exomax.

Wishing I kept my Phoenix. Exomax is overkill for whitetails. As well it is a lot harder on strings and targets. And Dutch had a great point about breaking or forgetting your rope cocker.
I come by my name honestly.