Ottawa area bow hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fox

Ottawa area bow hunting

Post by Fox »

Hey guys, well my boss told me I could come up to his place this fall for some deer hunting. He mentioned that you are only allowed to use a bow. I know the city of Ottawa has some weird laws as to discharge of firearms and that the areas are unique and specify if there is a complete discharge or just that of guns.
Does anyone know of these maps? All I can find is a broad no discharge map but I know a number of these areas were simply no guns within the last 6 years and the by-law was approved in 2002.
Rick Teal

Post by Rick Teal »

The only bows-only area around here that I'm aware of is the Ferguson nursery down by Kemptville. Of course there are the bows-only seasons, but during the regular gun seasons, the only restrictions I'm aware of are shotguns and Muzzleloaders in 64B and 65.

The city itself has closed vast areas to hunting altogether, but sunday gun hunting is permitted whenever the gun season is on.
I hunt, therefore I am.
fletch

Post by fletch »

I had the link for the map for the city of Ottawa but can't find it right now I will keep looking. The map grows each year pretty much as more subdivisions are created. I know for sure that there is a "no discharge of any weapon" inside the former boundaries of Gloucester. Kanata's map changes almost monthly. Even in rural sections of the "city of Ottawa" like Metcalfe Vernon Osgoode there are no discharge areas on the map. There are still hunting areas but you should really get a copy of the maps. If I find it I will post them.
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks
maple

Post by maple »

Fox,

Here's the link.

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/bylaw/a_ ... ex_en.html

As I recall, without looking, there are bow only areas around Dunrobin, Constance Lake etc, as well as the Ferguson Forest.

Good luck.

Maple
Al

Post by Al »

Fox,

Below is the link for the "Discharge of Firearms" in the By Law section of City of Ottawa, it appears to be outdated, but it is the current version on the site and may prove helpful.

http://www.city.ottawa.on.ca/residents/ ... ex_en.html
Fox

Post by Fox »

I contacted to city to see if I can get updated maps.
These are the ones I have seen before, but they do not show any of the bow only areas, hmm.

Thanks though, it seems like everyone up here knows that at least there were some bow only areas but where they are the city is hiding that.
Al

Post by Al »

Fox,

My understanding is that the City of Ottawa deems a crossbow to be a firearm and therefore treat it as though it were a rifle, shotgun etc... (see "Definitions and Interpretations" under point #1). I spoke to the Ottawa police a couple of years back and they confirmed this to me. That would indicate any shaded area on maps are restricted. Please let me know if you find otherwise and I am mistaken.

Thanks.
maple

Post by maple »

If you look in the curren regulations, it indicates areas in 'Schedule E' that are bow- only sections in the Dunrobin area.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Hmm, that is the only one that shows a difference.

The area I want to hunt is the Rock Forest area, on the east side of Constance Bay.