Muzzle Loading Advise needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fishn-Hunter

Muzzle Loading Advise needed

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

My father recently purchased a Traditions Pursuit XLT 50 cal. and is going to be using 100 grains of 777 (2 pellets) and cannot decide which bullet weight to use 245grain or 295 grain in the Power Belt Hollow point. He will be hunting Whitetails only, he is leaning towards the 245 grain bullet as it should be a little flatter shooting and according to his research a little more energy but is unsure of accuracy between the 2 bullets. Has anyone out there played with this load of powder and 2 bullets and can give any advise on which bullet is the best performer. Thank you in advance very much appreciated.
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ian, this is the bullet I am currently settled on. Hi sectional density, light recoil ,flat shooting and very accurate.
http://prbullet.com/dc260.htm
You can call and speak to Cecil himself. He's a pretty interesting character.
Here's a video of a similar bullet (all Dead Centers)
http://prbullet.com/duplex.wmv
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Don has put you where you need to be,I wouldn't use any other, look at the test results of all the bullets tested on his web site, just remember to load the same way each and every time, what I mean is when you seat the bullet apply same amount of pressure each time for consistent accuracy, mark your ram rod to make sure it seats the same depth ,damp cleaning patch every 3 shots then a dry one, have fun

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
animal

Post by animal »

this has some very good info for you

http://www.chuckhawks.com/working-up_lo ... oaders.htm
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

You might want to consider using loose 777 powder instead of the pellets as it will give you more flexibility in working up a load and is cheaper to shoot the long run. The only thing you lose is the convenience of using the pellets.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
saxman

Post by saxman »

Do not push the powerbelts very hard,they will fragment on impact.
I suggest the 245 AT with 80 - 90 grains of loose Pyro,T7 or Blackhorn209.
Thye Powerbelt plats in 270 can be pushed a little harder.
Try some other bulletts as well.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dw

Post by dw »

"you gotta love it"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Just my opinion, but you'd be best to just throw the Powerbelts in the trash. I shot those things 1 year, trying every way possible to get them to fly. The best I could get was about a 4" group at 50 yds. :x I was shooting them out of Knight MK-85 in .54 cal with FFg black powder. I used them 1 year and was very disappointed with the results.

Since then, I've switched to the Barnes Expander bullets. My shots are usually less than 50 yds, so I don't worry about the ballistic coeffiecent or loss of trajectory that much.

I've not tried them, but I've heard a lot of good things about the bullets that Boo posted. Might be worth giving it a shot. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Boo wrote:Ian, this is the bullet I am currently settled on. Hi sectional density, light recoil ,flat shooting and very accurate.
http://prbullet.com/dc260.htm
You can call and speak to Cecil himself. He's a pretty interesting character.
Here's a video of a similar bullet (all Dead Centers)
http://prbullet.com/duplex.wmv
X2! I switched over last year, and LOVE them! I took two deer around 250 yards with these last year. No tracking at all, squeeze trigger, deer hits dirt. If that's what your looking for Dead Centers are your choice.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

barnes makes some good sbaots;)

I personally use the shockwave 250grain sbaots.. I havent found anything more accurate, but thats on my setup out of the pro hunter. Im using 100 grains of T7 but I might try 150 this year just to test some 200 yard shots. But 90% of my shots are 30 yards and less
wabi

Post by wabi »

Big58cal wrote:Just my opinion, but you'd be best to just throw the Powerbelts in the trash. I shot those things 1 year, trying every way possible to get them to fly. The best I could get was about a 4" group at 50 yds. :x I was shooting them out of Knight MK-85 in .54 cal with FFg black powder. I used them 1 year and was very disappointed with the results.

Since then, I've switched to the Barnes Expander bullets. My shots are usually less than 50 yds, so I don't worry about the ballistic coeffiecent or loss of trajectory that much.

I've not tried them, but I've heard a lot of good things about the bullets that Boo posted. Might be worth giving it a shot. :wink:
Very similar to my results from several different rifles(T/C, Knight, Traditions, CVA, Lyman).
The Barnes Expanders and Hornady XTPs have done well for me. Never lost a deer with either bullet, but I have had a couple go 20 - 30 yards after being hit (always in the "boiler room" :wink: ) with the XTPs, but most dropped immediately. With the Barnes every deer I've shot (probably 5 or 6 now) has dropped in it's tracks! The only drawback to the Barnes is that they load hard - very tight to extremely tight fit in every bore I've loaded them in! About all I use is 300 grain bullets with charges from 80 gr fffg BP (in my T/C Hawken w/a 21" Green mountain fast twist barrel) to 100 gr ffg BP, Pyrodex RS, or T-7 ffg in the inlines. I have pushed them with 150 gr T-7 in a T/C, but accuracy dropped off. 120 gr is about the max I've found for a load that is still accurate. Since a shot over 100 yards is rare where I hunt I have dropped back to loads that are easier on the shoulder, but still plenty potent at ranges up to 100 yards or slightly over.
wabi
JRS

Post by JRS »

A few years ago I owned a Pursuit and found the best load to be 90 grains of T7 pushing a Hornady 250 SST using a Harvester sabot. I spent a lot of time and money finding the best combo. My experience with Power Belts was not negative, I just found something more accurate and cost efficient. I have since moved on and purchased a Savage smokeless muzzleloader, which I found to be the ultimate (sorry T/C shooters :wink: )
archiarcher

Post by archiarcher »

I have 2 CVA Kodiaks and use 120 grains of Triple 7 and 295 grain Powerbelts in both and they shoot awesome out to 200 yards! I was at the range today, and a guy had a new Thompson Center "Bone Collector" and he was using those Barnes bullets. He was bitching because the bullets were so hard to load and accuracy at 100 yards was absolutely terrible.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

PRBULLETS is the way to go, I do testing for Cecil Epps got some 250gr in 45 and 50 cal that I've got to shoot with different guns with different powders, these are not on the market yet, for those who want to shoot lose powder, weigh it don't go by volume, to get weight verses volume go to high performance muzzle loading Toby has formula for all powders, POWERBELTS LOAD EASY, worst bullet ever made, I've shot up a lot of lead not every gun shoots the same bullet or load the same, and weather plays a big part in this also when sighting in, cold is good

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
philman

Post by philman »

I own the Pursuit II xlt from Traditions and shoot 45-300g sst/ml from hornady and 2 pellets of triple seven magnum and it works awesome, I can shoot a 2.5-3 inch group at 200 yrds. The 295g power belts work great too I used them last year and cant find any locally so bought the 300g sst in their place. Power belts load nice and easy man.