G5 Squaring Tool?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

i googled it but can't tell exactly what it does, is it like a grinding wheel?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I don't have one of those tools, and I don't do enough shooting to merit buying one.

However, having the insert square to the axis of the shaft is extremely important. I suspect retail shafts are often slapped together by kids working part time at a bow shop. I suspect their focus of attention is governed by a sex drive in high gear and not pride in workmanship in putting together a top notch bolt.

I touched up (and improved) some of my bolts with a fingernail emery board and an arrow turning device. You could use "V" blocks or the little wheels with bearings. You simply need to spin your bolt while holding it in a steady position. Then very slowly bring the emery board into gentle contact with the face of the insert. You want it to contact ONLY the part of the insert that sticks out the furthest. You do need to have a steady hand, and be patient. What you are doing is gently polishing off excess metal until the face of the insert is square to the bolt. It works and is simpler in the doing than in the explanation.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:i googled it but can't tell exactly what it does, is it like a grinding wheel?
Yes, except the "wheel" remains stationary and you rotate the shaft. In the photo I posted you can see the grinding/cutting head has two sides, you rotate it to match your shaft material.
The arrow rests in a set of grooves to insure it is square to the grinding/cutting head. The carbon surface area is a diamond grit surface, while the aluminum is a sharp edge designed to cut.
It is a very important stage in the construction of consistent arrows.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks pyd, great explanation
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Never knew anything about this. Thanks all for the education. It all makes sense for proper flight. :D :D