Help Please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ricoh

Help Please

Post by ricoh »

When I purchased my Exomax and the Right stuff package it came with Beman thunderbolts and Wasp 100grain broadheads. Now I see Excalibur recommends Firebolts which have shorter fletchings.

Question #1 Is there a difference between the two bolts with the 100 grain Wasp broadheads.

Excalibur also is now recommending Boltcutter broadheads which are 150grains.

Question #2 Should I switch to the 150grain broadheads? I know this will mean resighting.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am new to the forum and think this is great! Thanks ricoh
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Welcome to the forum ricoh.

You will receive the answers to these and any future questions that arise here at this forum. We have a lot of technical type guys around here. I am not one of them. :lol:

I do however give advice to the lovelorn.

Again, welcome and hope to see you around and posting.
Limbs and Sticks

post SUB

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, All of the right stuff packages will work, it's what you prefer, I've seen fire bolts with 5in vanes, either way your good to go

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

If you are happy with the results you are getting now, then there is no need to switch anything.

There is very little difference between the arrows. You would probably like the boltcutters better than the Wasps, however, if the Wasps are serving you well, then stick with them.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Do those Bemans come with a brass insert? I modified my "Right Stuff" package, which I got from Danny Miller, to get GT arrows with brass inserts so that I could have more BH choices and still have a good percent FOC. Not sure if it really matters but thats what I wanted. Happy so far with my choice.

Good luck...
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

just shoot each and see which you like best... shoot them in groups of 3 and see what does better from a good rest
mikej

Post by mikej »

sumner4991 wrote:If you are happy with the results you are getting now, then there is no need to switch anything.
i agree and welcome to the forum
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I used to shoot the Beaman Thunderbolts out of my Exocet. I still have half a dozen sitting on the shelf. With 125g Slick Tricks the FOC was a little over 10%. They typically shot high right and low left. The only way I could get any consistancy out of them is to orient the blades of the broadhead vertivally and horozontally. At the time I could find no brass insert. Now Wyvern makes a bress insert for the Easton arrows that should fit in the Beaman Thunderbold as they are supposed to be the same diameter. I switched to the GT Laser II's with a brass insert and never looked back.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
dw

Post by dw »

the bemans should weigh 320gr i used to shoot them out of a parker and a tenpoint because with a 100 grain head they weighed in at 420gr the minimum for most compound crossbows
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
ricoh

Post by ricoh »

Thanks everyone for your help!! :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I just grabbed one of my Thunderbolts . . .it weighs 296gr with alu. insert and alu nock . . .20" arrow, no vanes. Add 2" Blazers and a 125gr head and it's 439 gr. Obviously , with the 100 grain head, it would be 414gr and add a little more for the longer vanes and you are looking at around 420gr.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

I just check mine and I only have 8% FOC so should I go from 100gr to a 125 to make it better...
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope