buying a cross bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerhunterlee

buying a cross bow

Post by deerhunterlee »

im thinking on getting a new cross bow , i want the best ,is equinox the best in excalibur ?
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum. They are all good, I shoot the Exomax, which is a LOT of bow [Just my preferance]. The one thing to remember is what it takes to cock them, as you go up in poundage it is more difficult to cock. I use the crankaroo so this is not an issue with me. Bottom line is You put the arrow in the kill zone and they will all do the job :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

welcom to thje forum. equinox & emax are the most powerful in the Excal lineup. all the models are great, depends what your looking for. serving life on those 2 is about 150 shots. keep all fingers and toes below the rail or string will teach you lesson you won'r forget. those 2 shoot the most fps & it takes 112 1/2 lbs on rope to cock them or 225 lbs by hand if you can.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

I have read on here that the only difference in the excalibur models is how hard they are to cock, and how far they will drive the arrow into the ground AFTER a pass through.

That being said, I like my Exomax. I did have to buy a new target because my arrows were either in past the fletching or, if I hit the same hole twice, passing through.

Welcome to the forum. And shoot any excalibur you like and you won't be disapointed.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I have the "best" Excalibur. Exocet 175#. Pick any one and you too will have the "best" Excalibur.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Deerhunterlee,

Going off your name I’ll assume the new CB will be primarily for deer hunting, correct? Where, terrain wise, you hunt might help you decide. Not likely to be shooting deer over say 30 yards then probably all you’ll need is a 175# Excalibur.

Me? I got the Exocet 200. Not to much, not to little, just right. :)

Take care…
wabi

Post by wabi »

There is no BEST in Excalibur, they are all made with the same quality parts, and the only differences are the rail length & stock style.
A few decisions to make on what weight and what style stock you need/prefer for YOUR hunting situations, but even if you're unsure, you can pick any model and be happy & successful! :wink: :lol:

I prefer the Phoenix. The 175# pull and length of power stroke makes it easy for me to cock (I can even cock it by hand if I have to), and it's plenty of power and speed for my style of deer hunting. There are so many models and options as far as sights, arrows, accessories it seems daunting to just make a selection, but I would suggest picking the lightest draw weight you're comfortable hunting with. The lighter draw weights are much easier to cock & practice with, and practice is essential to hunting success. I would also strongly suggest practice from actual hunting setups. If you use a tree stand or ground blind - practice from it! Murphy's law is always with us, and if it can go wrong it's best to know what to look for in advance.
wabi
deerhunterlee

serving life

Post by deerhunterlee »

smokepolehall wrote:welcom to thje forum. equinox & emax are the most powerful in the Excal lineup. all the models are great, depends what your looking for. serving life on those 2 is about 150 shots. keep all fingers and toes below the rail or string will teach you lesson you won'r forget. those 2 shoot the most fps & it takes 112 1/2 lbs on rope to cock them or 225 lbs by hand if you can.
2 what do u mean serving life 2 years or 150 shots
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

chris4570 wrote:I have the "best" Excalibur. Exocet 175#. Pick any one and you too will have the "best" Excalibur.

How true!!!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

So much to choose from go to your local dealer and handle a few different ones for fit.

I have a Vortex because I like the thumb hole stock and cocking 200lbs is no problem with a cocking aid.

Once you find one that fits your body type and strength, you will have the best CB for you no doubt.

Enjoy what ever you decide to get and let us know what you get.

Lots of help here at the forum to get it tuned in and maximize your bows potential.
Tenpoint Matrix
dlzinck

Re: serving life

Post by dlzinck »

deerhunterlee wrote:
smokepolehall wrote:welcom to thje forum. equinox & emax are the most powerful in the Excal lineup. all the models are great, depends what your looking for. serving life on those 2 is about 150 shots. keep all fingers and toes below the rail or string will teach you lesson you won'r forget. those 2 shoot the most fps & it takes 112 1/2 lbs on rope to cock them or 225 lbs by hand if you can.
2 what do u mean serving life 2 years or 150 shots
The serving is the "string" wrapped around the bow's string where the trigger holds the string where the arrow is placed. Attached is a picture of a string. The Yellow is the serving. 150 shots or 2 years is no big deal really... you can get the reserved for about $6.

[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

All excal bows are good. Pick one that best fits you. Welcome to the forum.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

it says those 2, as in equinox & emax. they avg. about 150 shots per serving if yer lucky and take care of string.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

go with a 200lb bow

Post by dutchhunter »

a vortex or xocet and you will have one off the best deer hunting tools ever made .i have had both and now ahot the new EQUINOX full camo at 225 lbs .i wanted the extra speed for turkeys amd mooses thy are al great bows just get one you can handel .you donot need the bigest one out there to hunt deer DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
smokeshow

Post by smokeshow »

I've shot the exocet 175, the 09 equinox and also a vixen. They are all great. I really liked the thumb hole on the equinox, and really liked the exocet, but am using the vixen for the upcoming deer season. May have to upgrade the limbs to the new vixen 2 limbs though.
2009 Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-zone scope
Steady stix
Boltcutter broadheads
Fleming string