buying a cross bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I have several not counting the half dozen Point Blank Pixel and Apex target rigs I use to teach young and novice shooters. I started off with an original exocet about 13 or so years ago. I still have it. I had a 200 pound job later which I sold to a customer (My wife ran an archery shop-excalibur was the only brand we stocked though we would order PSE or Horton xbows for those who felt a need for wheels). I then got the original vixen with light limbs for my wife. Then a Vixen "deluxe" which had the D Bars and the top of the line camo. That 150 Pound rig is my favorite hunting rig though I have not hunted much in the last few years due to first a shoulder surgery that kept me out of stands and then too much time coaching etc. I also have a pair of Phoenix bows I bought for 3d and WCSA Sport since the Phoenix complies with all the IBO and WCSA rules.

As some of the long time posters know-I have always advised against the super heavy bows for deer hunters. SOme people think the 225 pound rigs are crutches for those who cannot judge yardages. My view is heavy bows are for HEAVY game-not to shoot 150 pound deer and 60M as some have suggested.

I spent alot of time trying to convince customers to buy the vixens or Phoenixes for Ohio deer. They are far more pleasant to shoot and don't tear up the strings as quickly. They will survive a dry fire more readily and are easier to cock. I have blown through every deer save a spine shot (the arrow made it half way out the other side) when a deer ducked on the 17yard shot with my 175 pound or 150 pound bows. The Vixen with Lite limbs has had 4 pass throughs as well.

When I was 22, the Horton Safari magnum with its short stroke and 125 pound steel limbs was considered adequate for MOOSE. Indeed Bernard Horton had a picture of him with a huge moose on the horton catalog.

I never felt a need to hunt coyotes with a 338 either :D
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i think they are the same limbs so you don't have to buy another set. unless you have the carved tip limbs and want the mag tip limbs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I never felt a need to hunt coyotes with a 338 either
I hunt moose with mine but if I cross paths with a yote I don't hesitate to penetrate.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece