Climbing Tree Stands Part I

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

ninepointer wrote:No discussion about climbing stands would be complete without talking about Lone Wolf treestands http://www.lonewolfstands.com. I own the Alpha Hand Climber and I consider it to be the Ninja of climbing stands. Compared to the Lone Wolf, every other climber I have tried seems like a noisy, heavy, mechanical monster.

thats my same take on it..my Lonewolf is light quiet and strong. I feel safe climbing with it and its comfort is good..easy to use and work with..

Hoss
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ONLY8PTS

Post by ONLY8PTS »

I bought my first climber last summer.My size (6' 2"-275 lbs.) limited my choices.Also considering the weight of my clothing and gear,and after some shopping I went with the "SUMMIT 180 MAX SS". It's the only climber I have ever tried and I think I made a good choice.The sling style seat adjusts up and down,and the padded wrap around bar allows me to catch a nap from time to time without the fear of falling out.After a couple of climbs I had no problems setting up in the dark.I find it very comfortable and at 22 lbs. it is not a big chore for me to carry.The seat can also face the tree,an option I haven't used yet.I'm 52 but my body feels older and the mind is still trying to catch up.
ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR BOUNTY.
REMEMER, AIM SMALL.....MISS SMALL.
VORTEX,WITH RIGHT STUFF PKG.
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Has anyone ever tryed a climber called the Tree Walker.
Really good stand. Weighs 17 pounds.
They have a website.
Tenn.

Equinox
dutchhunter

climmers

Post by dutchhunter »

come on guys this is seriouse the best climmer for the guy that walks in to hunt is the lonewolf hand climmer the sit and clim is second best .no other that i have tried has ever come close in weight or is quieter then the lonewolf my 2 cents DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Well i bought a lone wolf hand climber and modified the seat as ive read that the lone wolf seats are not to comfortable.
Im looking forward to usiing it alot this fall.
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

To me, a climbing stand is the only way to go. I feel more secure in one than a ladder stand, but that's a personal preference.

I first started with a Baker Tree Stand 25 years ago. I have had 3 different Summit Tree stands and currently use the SS Viper. I tried a Lone Wolf and they are great stands, but I guess I had grown accustomed to the design of the Summit went back to using the SS Viper. The ease of use a major reason for my satisfaction. The seat is as comfortable as they come.

Locking on the harness at the base of the tree is the only way to go. I had my share of mishaps with the Baker, but over the years I hopeI have learned from from my mistakes. That my opinion, I would be interested in learning from yours.
northbaydude

Post by northbaydude »

anyone has a summit 180? i want to get some feedback on those and find out how to use them facing the tree?
Northbaydude
Looking for hunting groups and/or frineds in North Bay Ontario area
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I have used the Treelounger for many years...its a little heavy but it sure is comfortable...I also feel very safe in it...I bought an API climber last year and it is much lighter but I don't feel as safe...I must admit that the treelounge used to cause me to fall asleep more...I solved the problem by drinking those 5 hour energy drinks...they sure do the job for me...and they don't give me an upset stomach like the NoDoze pills used too..
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

TNXBow wrote:To me, a climbing stand is the only way to go. I feel more secure in one than a ladder stand, but that's a personal preference.
Locking on the harness at the base of the tree is the only way to go.
Words of wisdom there. When used correctly I do believe the climber is a very safe way to hunt and gives you the mobility to be very successful.
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

I currently have three climbers. 1 summit cobra easy to set up light and comfotable I did have it slip in the tree once probably the wrong type of tree. It was the foot platform that slipped as I was putting the cinch strap on the seat part. Thankful for the full body harness. 2 is an old Loggy bayou I have had it for six years and only used it maybe four times. It is light and easy, Not comfortable. 3 is the treelounge it is heavy and takes more effort to set up. It is in my opinion the safest and most comfortable of the three. I use the summit when I have a long hike to my hunting spot because it is lighter than the treelounge. If I have a short hike it will be the treelounge that I take I will leave a little earlier to set it up.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

Summit Viper SS :

Weight: 20 lbs. (Aluminum Construction)
Tree size: 8 to 20 inches
Seat height: Adjustable via buckles
Seat Size: (base) 18" wide by 12" long (back rest) 12" wide by 20" long
Overall Size: 20" wide by 36" long
Platform Area: 20" wide by 28 3/4" long
Seat Frame size: (inside) 19.75" wide by 26.5" long
Weight Limit: 300 lbs.

Lone Wolf Alpha :
•Just 20 pounds!
•Pivoting Sit & Climb bar.
•Huge 30″ x 19.5″ one-piece cast aluminum platform (US Patent #5060756)
•NEW! 2-panel, padded, contoured foam seat pad.
•Base Seat Size: 17″ x 16″
Top Foam Size: 15″ x 10″
Total Length: 33″
•One-size-fits-most bow holder molded directly into platform (optional grommet available)
•Backpack straps and one bungee cord included (padded straps available)
•Distinctive 3-D camo platform design (US Patent #D445201)
•Fits trees 6″-19″ in diameter (longer traction belts available).
•350-pound weight rating.
•Includes certified FAS

The Lone Wolf is about $100 more than the Summit. I don't own a climber yet. I've hunted out of ladder stands only. A local reservoir has just opened for hunting so I am going to invest in one.

The question I have is, which safety harness are you using for these climbers?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Philzleads wrote: The question I have is, which safety harness are you using for these climbers?

Philzleads, crazyfarmer has done a lot of research as of late regarding harnesses and I expect he will post in this thread with his views.

Regardless of the type of harness you choose, you must hook up that harness to the tree before you ascend even one foot!!

Do not under any circumstances hook up your harness after you have reached the height you want to hunt. Most all accidents happen while climbing up and climbing down.
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

Philzleads, crazyfarmer has done a lot of research as of late regarding harnesses and I expect he will post in this thread with his views.

Regardless of the type of harness you choose, you must hook up that harness to the tree before you ascend even one foot!!
Thanks Mike !
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Check these out. www.treewalkertreestands.com/
fits 8 to 26 " trees , weighs less than 18 lbs.
climbs great , will not slip on tree.
Lifetime warranty, hunt from either end. slide seat to front to sit on to climb.
Tenn.

Equinox
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Tenn. Equinox wrote:Check these out. www.treewalkertreestands.com/
fits 8 to 26 " trees , weighs less than 18 lbs.
climbs great , will not slip on tree.
Lifetime warranty, hunt from either end. slide seat to front to sit on to climb.
Do you own one and use it?

I am curious about the bright loop and "memory" of the attachment cable. It appears to be the same technology used on many climbers that use a cable loop and pin system. I know they say "bright" for the loop and I suspect it has some light reflective paint or material on the loop to make it show up.

I like the sling (ol' man treestand) type of seat and I really like the weight they post. These come in right at the same weight as the timbertall brute light, which by the way has the same cable loop and pin hook up and uses the same technique to produce "memory" with the cable.

The downfall of the timbertall, and I suspect the treewalker as well, is the pin and loop hookup is usually a pain when compared to other hook up systems utilized by other tree stands. The system used on the Lone Wolf (cam and belt) is just fantastic and is truely one you can do with your eyes closed. So is the system on the Equalizer treestand innovative and very easy to use in the dark. The Summit system is also easier to use then the pin and loop system.

The pin and loop system is not a deal breaker for me, I go for comfort and light weight and the treewalker may be one I add to my collection. I think it would compare favorably to the timbertall. I have various climbers for different situations I encounter.

Tenn. Equinox, could we talk you into doing a review on the treewalker if you own one. I would be interested in your thoughts about the hook up system and any other insight into the stand you might share with us.