my crossbow,vs my compound bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

my crossbow,vs my compound bow

Post by michiganman »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my first day in a tree stand with a crossbow.i have hunted 40 years with a bow.for you guys that think theres a advantage for the crossbow shooters,id say there are few.today i found it heavy,clumbsey,and just a pain in the butt.

with a good shoulder id take my compound any day to 35 yards.i used a lighted pendulum sight ,with one pin to 35 yards dead on.now i have to look through glare,and loose light and figure yardage from 20 to 35 yards.
.the only advantage i see is you dont have to practice much.but for the seasoned archer ,the compound takes it hands down.now for the guy with a bad shoulder,that cant shoot a bow any more,im gratefull.its not as easy to hunt with as many think.good hunting
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
BigDogKahuna

Post by BigDogKahuna »

I don't know. I have used both and just prefer the crossbow but hey, if we all had the same opinion and likes I think it would be kind of boring.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I agree MM
Those who think it is so much easier with the crossbow need to try it.
People fear what they dont understand and cant explain
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

i think from just in front of my stand were i could sit and shoot,that would be nice.but were i hunt,they come from any direction,and standing up holding that xbow gets heavy.but it sure beets not being able to hunt.one thing i did gain is alot more power,as i was down to 50lbs with my bow.about 50lbs ke,now im at 90lbs. our season opened today greatttttttttttttttt.........
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I agree that the crossbow can be more cumbersome, which is why I use my compound the majority of the time, until the clothes get too big and bulky to draw comfortably in.

Now, for some real lightweight carry...I go to the longbow. It feels like you're holding nothing after shooting the crossbow and compound for a while.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it took me a long time to get use to the crossbow.. I still cant stand hauling it into the woods and moving around with it compared to the compound bow

:P
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I also use my compound until it gets to cold to draw back and then i switch over to the trusty exocet.I find my exocet to be heavy and cumbersome but thats a small price to pay for such an awesome piece of equipment.
flintman

Post by flintman »

I too find that my Vortex is a little cumbersome. I was going to hunt all spring turkey season with it and that lasted just four hunting trips. I then grabbed the Rem SP 20ga and finished the season. It was hard to pack it up and down the hills and hollers of Ky. I do love to hunt with it thought and I am looking forward to taking it out Saturday and try to bag me a whitetail.
Vortex
Varizone
Wasp
South Central Kentucky
michiganman

crossbow,lesson #2 last night

Post by michiganman »

lesson #2 with my crossbow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i learned lesson #2 today with my excalibur.i had small buck come through behind me crossing.i had split second shot.as soon as he cleared my last opening i put 20 yard crosshairs on him and shot.not sure if the noise,or yardage was the problem.clean miss under him .
with my compound i used a pendulum to 35 yards on.he was close to 35 yards,and my old thinking pattern didnt work.just took couple jumps and walked off,not knowing what happened.lesson 2 i cant shoot like i use to with my bow and 1 pin.a need to be on at correct yardage.i can shoot dots all day at 40 yards,when i know that distance,funny how when a deer shows up i loose some brain funtion............shots 40 bucks with my bow,but learning all over
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

You got me thinking. I have an old pendulum sight and a spare cross bow I might do some tinkering. I used them in the past on my compound and loved the pendulum sights. A custom mounting bracket and it might work it is worth a try.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

my brother is a retired pattern maker,and it just might be the ticket out of tree stands.with crossbow speed,i would think you could get 35-40 same pin.we have been using them for as long as they make them.the preditor model has speed adjustments.might be some thing in the future,and with the light,you can see all shooting hours,and no glare.might have to use a rear fiber for alignment

i did more shooting off my roof,and finding the lumenok is 4 inches lower at 32 yards .im 6 inches low at 32 yards using my 20 yard crosshair,but 10 inches low with lumenok.and yes your right,should have used the 30 yard dotttttttttt.

but just wanted to see were i was at.this was also 500 grains total weight
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Often at 3D people come up and say stuff like "you can't miss with that bow".... :roll: I put on my best friendly voice and offer them a chance to shoot it. Most don't take me up on the offer, unfortunately. I guess they'd rather live with their misguided beliefs about xbows being "unfair" somehow. Those that do take me up on the offer quickly realize it's not all as easy as it looks. Sure you "just aim and pull the trigger", but there's so much more to it than that. You still have to estimate your yardage and shoot accordingly. You have to make sure your limbs are clear for a shot. You have to hold steady...
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

michiganman, I can relate to what you are experiencing. However, I can tell you that it does get easier. Although I could not hunt today, yesterday morning, opening day I went out with the crossbow and I have to say that for the first time it just felt right. I'm much happier hunting with it now.

That said, if it were possible, I'd still hunt with my recurve....without sights. Or even with my compound. But because I can't shoot them now, I am very happy with my crossbow and extremely happy I chose Excalibur.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
michiganman

pins

Post by michiganman »

i have never hunted with a 3 pin set up with my bow,so im still trying to get the yardage down.its easy in the yard,its all marked out.and the tree i hunted last night is some what marked out for my compound.but as hunting goes the deer was crossing through a area,they never go through.pull up,and shoot.thought i was in the 25 yard area,but after looking after the fast shoot was 30-33.im taking off the luminok,as i drop alot faster after the 20 yards.

looks like we got 3 days of rain for opener
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

As a fellow michigander myself, yesterday was my first chance to try out my crossbow and actually was suprised at how smooth things went,there were a few small things. I guess to sum it up, tonight when i hit the garage to get my bow my compound was laying right next to the vixen and as I walked over to grab "a bow" there was no hesitation, I went for the vixen.