H&R ultra slug gun users

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

H&R ultra slug gun users

Post by crazyfarmer »

just seeing if anyone else here shoots this gun? I ordered the new thumbhole stock for mine. I havent found a better shooting slug gun than the 20g model :D
Grizzly Adam

Re: H&R ultra slug gun users

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yeah, I do ... and my brother does too.

I'm a 20 ... he's a 12. 8)

Either gun will tear one ragged hole with most any slug at 50 yards, and with a great many at 100.

I'm shooting Hornadys right now ... a very hot combo, for a shotgun. :D
Grizz
the elf

Post by the elf »

Just curious---why a 20 instead of a 12 ? Is the recoil that bad on the 12 ?
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Why 20 ga? Flatter trajectory, higher ballistic coefficient, hits more than hard enough for deer.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Cossack wrote:Why 20 ga? Flatter trajectory, higher ballistic coefficient, hits more than hard enough for deer.
Indeed.

Not to mention that the 12 gauge version weighs about 300 lbs., handles like a field artillery piece and requires a carriage for transport! :shock: :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I shoot a Savage 210. I have the 12 ga. Mfg. recommended 3" Winchester Gold Partition and I can cut bullet holes @ 100 yards. See thread Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 2 strikes for more info. I was back in the same stand yesterday(Muzzle Loader) and looked at the trajectory of the shot on doe. I shot through a baseball size hole in the tree top. Still can't believe I made the shot. Must have been the gun.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
medicago

Post by medicago »

My daughter shot a 4 pt whitetail through the heart at 110 yards using my 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch lightfield sabot ammo. This is the most accurate 12 gauge slug gun I have ever shot.

medicago
Rich

Post by Rich »

CF,

I have 3-4 buddies that shot the H&R 20 gauge, they are using the Hornady SST's and claim great groups out to 150 yards. I have heard others claim 200 yard shoots, but I have not personally seen it done.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich, I got 1inch groups at 75 with mine. I shoot the winchestor partition gold sabots in mine. Its a 260gr sabot. Things are 26bucks for 5 though. They are good out to 200 but I'm not shooting that far lol.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote:Things are 26bucks for 5 though.
I use the Hornady SST's. I'm currently working with my bank to arrange a second mortgage, so I can stock up for next year's Indiana shotgun hunt. :? :P :lol:
Grizz
rutman

Post by rutman »

Long time away from the forum, not crazy about the new format.
I have a laminated ultra slug hunter in 20 ga. It is amazing especially with the glass I put on it. I got one of those nikon slug hunters with the BDC 200 reticle that comes in 3-9 power. The combo shooting Remington Accutips makes it a 200 yrd. machine. Extremely happy especially for the money. Best bang for the buck and best tree stand gun I have ever owned, well shotgun anyway.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rutman wrote:Long time away from the forum, not crazy about the new format.
I have a laminated ultra slug hunter in 20 ga. It is amazing especially with the glass I put on it. I got one of those nikon slug hunters with the BDC 200 reticle that comes in 3-9 power. The combo shooting Remington Accutips makes it a 200 yrd. machine. Extremely happy especially for the money. Best bang for the buck and best tree stand gun I have ever owned, well shotgun anyway.
nice scope! I have a Millet 3-9X50 on mine. At the time Nikon didnt have their BDC's out. I thought about getting that scope but ive been very happy with the scope thats on it. Plus its sighted in so I dont have to spend 25bucks for 5 shells just to resight HAHAHAHAHA

Grizz, I hear ya man;)
rutman

Post by rutman »

I've never seen a millet scope, their rings are great. It should draw lots of light with the 50 mm objective though. They are a cool gun. Thanks for the post. :)
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

crazy farmer wrote:Rich, I got 1inch groups at 75 with mine. I shoot the winchester partition gold sabots in mine. Its a 260gr sabot. Things are 26bucks for 5 though. They are good out to 200 but I'm not shooting that far lol.
Ck the price on cheaperthandirt.com H.D. I got 3" for less than $12.00 a box.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

I'm on the second year with my H&R 20. I use the Hornady sst. I shot a doe last year at 150 yards she dropped on impact. This year I got one at 40 yards same results. I hope for more luck this weekend.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme