Who else loves hunting in the rain?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lscha

Re: Who else loves hunting in the rain?

Post by lscha »

Brenjen wrote:
Afterall; hunting isn't JUST about the kill. For me it's church, the Discovery channel, menu planning complete with cooking & tasting the dish in your mind, a time to reflect on my past, mull over aspects of projects waiting to be finished at home & shopping all rolled into one. It's definitely a spiritual experience for me & if the weather was always perfect; that would detract from the experience for me.
That pretty much says it. I'll have to steal this. Hope you don't mind. :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

lscha wrote:
Brenjen wrote:
Afterall; hunting isn't JUST about the kill. For me it's church, the Discovery channel, menu planning complete with cooking & tasting the dish in your mind, a time to reflect on my past, mull over aspects of projects waiting to be finished at home & shopping all rolled into one. It's definitely a spiritual experience for me & if the weather was always perfect; that would detract from the experience for me.
That pretty much says it. I'll have to steal this. Hope you don't mind. :D
Have at it - "Volenti non fit injuria" :lol:
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Got my best deer on a wild and woolly morning November 19, 2001. It was rifle season on
Manitoulin Island. Usually it's like a war zone with constant gun fire. That morning the only shot I heard was mine. Maybe I was the only one to go out into the wind and the rain which turned into fog and drizzle. I've heard that deer like to be out in a soft drizzle.
It's a teaching that was verified for me that day!
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
hotburn

Post by hotburn »

I don't mind a light rain, but I leave if its coming down in buckets. I have wanted to sit during a rain hunt and be there when it stops, but just have not had it work out yet for that.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I just don't like getting sopping wet ! I can be in any of my 4 stands with-in 10 min. after it stops raining, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

A rainy day at my main hunting farm means gobs of sticky clay so heavy it will pull your boots off and a swollen creek that will prevent me from reaching my favourite stand :(. So, no, I don't hunt in the rain on purpose.
bstout wrote:"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing". Having quality rain gear is a must for every hunting archer in my opinion. I'm not talking expensive clothing rather the correct clothing.
But if you can recommend a brand of rain gear, I'd be willing to reconsider!
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

ninepointer wrote: .....
But if you can recommend a brand of rain gear, I'd be willing to reconsider!
Anything with a nylon taffeta outer & a gortex liner works well & is light/small enough to pack in a cargo pocket. Nylon taslan is a bit too heavy; doesn't pack well & is a real bear when it eventually soaks up the water because it gets REALLY heavy & it will eventually soak up the water even though it's treated.

Taslan is tougher, (a lot tougher actually) but the taffeta will hold up as long as you don't go bushwacking in it. I have a set of ECWCS with polartec thermals I wear when it's snowy/icy but for rain, I prefer the light stuff....unless I'm going to be on foot for an extended period of time in differing weather then I prefer a vinyl poncho with the ECWCS & polartec :lol:
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I went on a hunt out west in Utah for mule deer. I was sneaking around and it started to pour and I thought great, nothing will sense me. I came upon a bachlor group of buck holding up until it stopped pouring. Got within 40 yards and they never knew I was there. As with most of my western shots I misjudged the distance and the arrow went right underneath a nice 5X5's chest. To us midwesterners deer seem closer than they really are. I guess we are not use to the vastness of the area. Man, that was fun. :D :D
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Cossack wrote:Game tends to be less weary it seems.
True but the reason is they are thinking "Noyone is dumb enough to be out in this crap!"
lscha

Post by lscha »

RichJ wrote:
Cossack wrote:Game tends to be less weary it seems.
True but the reason is they are thinking "Noyone is dumb enough to be out in this crap!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
gogo

Post by gogo »

I see lots of deer when it rains, it is not fun to hunt in the rain but the results can be real good.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Colors are crisper, animals are typically more active and the woods are also usually void of those hunters who only hunt on days that are comfortable for themselves.
I have seen some of the most memorable scenes in the rain, and been afforded the ability to move around a bit more because of it.
Hunt in the rain? Heck ya!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

turkeys, deer, bear and fishing. It never rains on a golf coarse and it never rains if your a real hunter.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The rain brings out the deer, as long as heavy wind is not with it. I love hunting in rain, although I will be more selective in regards to shooting range because of what others have said about blood trails washing away, even though I have learned to cope without blood trail because of a slight color blindness(green/red :roll: ) but a blood trail makes it easier for a buddy who's helping me.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I like sitting in my treestand with my tree mounted umbrella in a drizzling rain
and fog settling in taking catnaps with one eye open.
Tenn.

Equinox