Woodstock mounted . . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chuck Gravel

Re: Woodstock mounted . . .

Post by Chuck Gravel »

switch the limbs, black limbs would look nice.

Here's the powdercoated rail on mine and black limbs, im probally going to give making a woodstock a try again after i dropped mine in the process and snapped it near the handle.
Attachments
bow2.jpg
bow2.jpg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Stunning woodwork! Enjoy that machine!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

My vote would be to switch to the brown limbs as well...the brown limbs and the wood stock would look classy. :D :D Glad she shoots well. If the camo limbs go so must the camo sling.lol 8) kidding
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

That's absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

That looks super. The brown limbs would look nice. I had a target Rifle stock dipped Walnut and it looked great. You might try that i watch a DIY Video it didn't look hard to me.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WOW that is a work of art the brown limbs would really look sick!!(awesome) :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

That is incredible! You two did an awsome job! Your wife might be right, cuase i'd be scared to take it into the woods :D
Crispy
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

WOW!!! Just Beautiful!!!!
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Love it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Thank you all for the commments. I know it means a lot to Aging that his work is appreciated. He worked hard to make the perfect stock.
Crispy wrote:That is incredible! You two did an awsome job! Your wife might be right, cuase i'd be scared to take it into the woods :D
I know this is a pretty stock.

I got this stock blank off EBay for cheap. In my other thread about the stock, you know it didn't start out being pretty. Aging was wanting me to get a more expensive blank. If you look on one side of my stock, there is some lighter areas. Apparently, that discoloration is frowned upon in the wood/blank industry. However, I think it gives the stock a definite identification and some charactor.

Anyway, Aging was giving me a hard time about the grade of wood I sent him. We have been calling it a POS grade. I personally thought the POS grade would be best when it comes to dragging it through the woods. By time he finished the thing, we had changed our minds. It turned out far better than either of us had thought it would.

Turns out, you do not need a real expensive blank to get a nice stock.

HOWEVER, if I do it again and I very well may because I happen to have two Excaliburs, then I'm going to get a higher grade blank. I found out that putting on the varnish is really easy. I hand rubbed a couple of layers into the wood. Then I started brushing layers on with a sponge brush. Put on a layer, let it dry, sand it down and repeat. It's real easy to work with . . .any flaws, runs, etc sand out easily.

So, once a year or as needed, I'll sand it down a little(just enough to make sure the new layer sticks) and remove the blemishes. Then add a coat of varnish.

You can't see it too good in a photo, but, in person you can tell the finish isn't sprayed on in a factory. It's too thick. It's hand done and I put it on thick for the protection. Once it cures, the Spar Varnish is suppose to be hard as nails. It's a marine varnish made to protect wood items on boats, it has UV protection too.

I don't own anything that isn't used for its intended purpose. I want to make Aging proud and get my next deer with this pretty, yet tough, bow.

Nobody thinks I should keep the camo limbs on the MAX?
Last edited by sumner4991 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

WoW ! ... That's beautifull !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

If it were mine I'd be very tempted to send the Vixen limbs off and have them dipped with a finish that would match, or accent the color & woodgrain.
wabi
frisky

Post by frisky »

Yes it is nice. Are you actually going to take it into the woods? :lol:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

wabi wrote:If it were mine I'd be very tempted to send the Vixen limbs off and have them dipped with a finish that would match, or accent the color & woodgrain.
Yup! Find something that matches and dip it! It looks great, but that wood deserves a better match.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

frisky wrote:Yes it is nice. Are you actually going to take it into the woods? :lol:
First chance I get, it's in the woods. I'll just keep telling myself, "just a normal stock, it's no big deal". :D

Didn't take no time to get use to the cheek piece. I've never had one before. I like it, a lot. Gets me on level and in the same spot every time.
Pydpiper wrote:
wabi wrote:If it were mine I'd be very tempted to send the Vixen limbs off and have them dipped with a finish that would match, or accent the color & woodgrain.
Yup! Find something that matches and dip it! It looks great, but that wood deserves a better match.
Good ideas on the dipping/matching. I've decided to leave it alone for now and concentrate on hunting. I still have to zero in both bows and get ready to hunt. Hopefully by Thursday or Friday . . .definitely next week.

The Vixen was a gift and it has some sentimental value. I'm leaning towards keeping it intact. The idea to switch the limbs seemed good at the time and I could make the Vixen all camo(limbs & stock), which would be cool too.

I suppose I could dip the camo limbs???

Enough! I got to get a deer with this awesome looking bow! :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen