Woodstock mounted . . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Woodstock mounted . . .

Post by sumner4991 »

frisky wrote:Yes it is nice. Are you actually going to take it into the woods? :lol:
First chance I get, it's in the woods. I'll just keep telling myself, "just a normal stock, it's no big deal". :D

Didn't take no time to get use to the cheek piece. I've never had one before. I like it, a lot. Gets me on level and in the same spot every time.
Pydpiper wrote:
wabi wrote:If it were mine I'd be very tempted to send the Vixen limbs off and have them dipped with a finish that would match, or accent the color & woodgrain.
Yup! Find something that matches and dip it! It looks great, but that wood deserves a better match.
Good ideas on the dipping/matching. I've decided to leave it alone for now and concentrate on hunting. I still have to zero in both bows and get ready to hunt. Hopefully by Thursday or Friday . . .definitely next week.

The Vixen was a gift and it has some sentimental value. I'm leaning towards keeping it intact. The idea to switch the limbs seemed good at the time and I could make the Vixen all camo(limbs & stock), which would be cool too.

I suppose I could dip the camo limbs???

Enough! I got to get a deer with this awesome looking bow! :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Here is a place in New York State that dips stuff I was quoted a price of $160 + shipping both ways for stock and limbs.
http://www.tarjac.com/
Tenpoint Matrix
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

How about some gold leaf on the limbs???
Dang nice work.

How hard is it to make a blank?

I have not disassebled my Axiom to see what it would be involved?

Any links to blanks for an Axiom?

Thanks and enjoy!!
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Lakelover wrote:How about some gold leaf on the limbs???
Dang nice work.

How hard is it to make a blank?

I have not disassebled my Axiom to see what it would be involved?

Any links to blanks for an Axiom?

Thanks and enjoy!!
You need to send Agingcrossbower a pm and see what he has to say. I got the blank off Ebay and Agingcrossbower turned it into a stock. He can answer all those questions for you. I know the blank has to be a certain size . . .you need to talk to Aging . . .

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i guess the next question is how much does something like that cost on average? Im looking to get one done since I want something different;)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

crazyfarmer wrote:i guess the next question is how much does something like that cost on average? Im looking to get one done since I want something different;)

There are some variables in the cost. The blanks can cost up to $1000(or more) depending on the type of wood and the grade. When I was researching custom stocks, I ran into some stocks that should only be displayed in a art gallery. Some cost thousands of dollars.

There are low grade blanks for $50 or less. Some of these, if you get lucky(as I did), will make a good looking stock.

Don't skimp on the wood grade of the blank if you can afford it because Aging does a great job making it into a stock. The varnish will protect it from regular use.

Aging's cost is really cheap compared to what other custom stock makers are wanting. That may not be the case after word gets out about these stocks. There are a few variables on his cost depending on the style of stock you want. Tell him what you want and he will price it up for you.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

crazyfarmer wrote:i guess the next question is how much does something like that cost on average? Im looking to get one done since I want something different;)
http://www.curlymaplewood.com/8-4curlymaplewood.html

Scroll down to the bottom and there is some nice pieces for $59

this is where i got mine for curly maple, really nice wood, fast shipping and good prices. man is also very pleasant to talk to about choosing the right piece. ran me about $70 for a real nice piece but ended up breaking the stock because of dropping it on a floor
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I bought a blank a couple years ago from a member on here, maple. The blank is maple laminate and it fits on the bow and functions. It only needs to be formed to fit me.
Every time I get out in the shop and look at it I know that no amount of glue is going to be able to put it back together once I start applying tools to it. :oops:
I have a feeling that aging is going to be seeing that stock soon.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Pydpiper wrote:I bought a blank a couple years ago from a member on here, maple. The blank is maple laminate and it fits on the bow and functions. It only needs to be formed to fit me.
Every time I get out in the shop and look at it I know that no amount of glue is going to be able to put it back together once I start applying tools to it. :oops:
I have a feeling that aging is going to be seeing that stock soon.

Now this is a good case of how many variations on pricing there are. You can do it like Pydpiper or buy your own blank and send it to me. I do reserve the right to reject the blank if its a POS. I will not waste your money and my time on a sow's ear. It's only fair to both parties. So, you would have the give me the demenisions and pics of the blank BEFORE you purchase it. Aging
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Chuck Gravel wrote: http://www.curlymaplewood.com/8-4curlymaplewood.html

Scroll down to the bottom and there is some nice pieces for $59
When selecting blanks . . .make sure you get a blank the right size. Depending on what style of stock you want out of your blank, the required size blank varies too. Get the size that Aging needs to make your stock or have him get the blank.

There are things to consider when picking out a blank for a stock. You want the grain of the wood to form your stock. Before cutting the blank, you should be able to see the form of a stock in the wood grain. Especially in the grip area. This makes for a stronger stock and enhances the beauty too.

Oh yeah . . .the moisture content of the wood has to be the right level too or the blank will warp when being shaped. Aging has the means to control the moisture level.

Overall . . .it's probably best to let Aging pick out the blank . . .I got lucky. I learned a lot of this stuff after I had already bought the blank.

Another thing to consider . . .if Aging drops it and it breaks in two pieces, then he gets to buy you another blank. :shock:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
lscha

Post by lscha »

That is really beautiful!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It was killing me to know which was heavier, the walnut stock or the factory stock. I don't have a scale that would measure that weight. So, I did it the old fashion way . . .I tied the two stocks one on each end of a stick and then found the center balance. I was an inch off center having the walnut slightly heavier.

Holding one in each hand, I could not tell the difference.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen