Dryfire mechanism

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mister B

Re: Dryfire mechanism

Post by Mister B »

By the way my contact was a man in Quebec named Michel Blais you can reach him at. [email protected]
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
M&M

Post by M&M »

Secret - besides my exocet I also own a horton and a ten point and my brother owns a ten point and you don't have to shoot an arrow to unload or decock it
M&M
Dash

Post by Dash »

Mr B,
Thanks for the post mate, I was interested to hear of a excal member try one of these.
You were saying you checked the bows accuracy after testing this. Good to hear it doesn't pull the sight out of wack with the shock of release. And also that it can be released to uncock the bow. There's two of my questions answered.
Is there much shock when fired ?
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

One of the reasons I purchases (several) Excals is because they have no DF device.
That way I can easily let the bow down, even in the dark. Having found a partially dislodged arrow in (my compound CB), which likely would have resulted in a dryfire, (past the DFD but not against the string), I check arrow seating regularly while hunting. A bow with DFD can be dryfired by failing to insert the arrow all the way back to string or misaligned nock. More mechanical things means more mechanical things to go wrong. I treat a bow as any other lethal implement: carefully. Keep it simple, keep thinking.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its nice to have the option... but one reason I like the excals is because of less moving parts that can break or etc. I have never been a fan of the dryfire prevention tools on bows. But this one seems a little different. Hopefully it works out well for all those whom try it. Goodluck
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
Are these sold in Canada also? If so, who is selling them?
Thanks,
Raymond
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

just a string catcher? pricey for about what looks like 3 $ in parts.
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Rufus wrote:I am going to buy one and take the string stoppers and pads off to get the weight off the front of the bow.
Sounds like the way to go to me. And the price is comparable to the STS. Is there a link to purchase from? Thanks for the review!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Click the link below to see this mechanism in action.

Video - ARC-INTER Stop Dryfire mechanisms
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

shaftthrower wrote:
Rufus wrote:I am going to buy one and take the string stoppers and pads off to get the weight off the front of the bow.
Sounds like the way to go to me. And the price is comparable to the STS. Is there a link to purchase from? Thanks for the review!
i shoot my vixen with no pads or sts stoppers but my equinox and vortex have both. the sts does wonders for vibration and sound somewhat . i dont know if excalibur says its o.k. to run there heavier bows without the limb pads. the sts systems are 49$ or less if you make your own. the dry fire is 70$. i emailed them and they said there not available. there gonna list 100 of them on ebay but no set date.gonna try one but it doesnt replace sts or dis pads. they havent got back to me on what the weight of there invention is .
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Thanks ComfyBear for posting that.

It looks like a simple idea. I'm very carefull and so far haven't had a dryfire. Still, if it is something that works well and doesn't create other problems, it might be worth spending a few bucks.

I haven't had to take out the spare tire for my truck since I bought the truck five years ago. I don't plan to stop carrying it though. Similar thinking, I guess.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Mister B wrote:Yes, I tested it and it was flawless on my Exocet 200. I also shot it to make sure it didn't alter my arrow flight. Typical for an Excal it was as dead accurate as it was before. And, the release lever is right above the safety and very easy to reach with the thumb while pressing the trigger with your finger to decock it as usual.
It just saves me having use cotton balls to check for limb damage, having to replace damaged STS bumpers, and keeps me from having to change the string (which I do just in case a strand broke under my serving) should I have another brain fart and dryfire it again.
The trouble is, it sounds like you are going to rely on this device. Yes it worked as tested, but it is a mechanical device and a mechanical device will fail, you just never know when.

People the only safe way to handle a crossbow or gun is to always pay attention to what you are doing. Always follow the same steps in cocking, loading your crossbow and you will be safe. Many people feel that there is a need for these devices, but there is not a need. IF you need one then you are unsafe and should not handle a crossbow. Plain and simple, a crossbow is not a toy, they are a dangerous hunting tool that can hurt someone if you are not paying attention all the time. I have known and hunted with many hunters with crossbows (5 close to 30 years experience each) and non have had a dry-fire.

Sorry if my above statement hurt someone's feelings but it is the plain truth.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I guess if a person doesn't or can't trust themselves to pay attention then this is a wise buy.....I don't think I would want to be around someone that can't remember to load an arrow......maybe they would forget to use the safety also.

Long
secret

Post by secret »

Amen .......Tom and Longwinters!!!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

Tom wrote:
The trouble is, it sounds like you are going to rely on this device. Yes it worked as tested, but it is a mechanical device and a mechanical device will fail, you just never know when.

People the only safe way to handle a crossbow or gun is to always pay attention to what you are doing. Always follow the same steps in cocking, loading your crossbow and you will be safe. Many people feel that there is a need for these devices, but there is not a need. IF you need one then you are unsafe and should not handle a crossbow. Plain and simple, a crossbow is not a toy, they are a dangerous hunting tool that can hurt someone if you are not paying attention all the time. I have known and hunted with many hunters with crossbows (5 close to 30 years experience each) and non have had a dry-fire.

Sorry if my above statement hurt someone's feelings but it is the plain truth.
sounds like you and your hunting partners are safe and lucky enough to never had a dry fire. there are just too many cenarios that can happen using a crossbow. i dont see how one can compare a crossbow to a gun. there are similarities in operation and thats about it. for instance if you forget to load a gun and squeeze the trigger theres usually no issues with a dry fire. with a gun you dont need to fire it off at the end of every hunt either.i know you can de-cock some crossbows but ive found it very tricky and choose not to.while hunting in a tree i usually just hold my x-bow. your dealing with holding your xbow in downward angles and things getting bumped around the shooting rails or foiliage.if because of some reason the arrow gets pushed off the string a little i could see this dry fire device helping.if your at the range and your shooting proceedure gets thrown off say from talking to friends and get distracted i could see this thing helping.at the end of the days hunt you remove your hunting arrow and you get back to your vehicle in the pitch dark. you set your x-bow down and grab your discharge target and set it up several yards out. now youve just sat in a tree for hours with a cocked crossbow and all your brain sees is a xbow loaded with the string back and now you pick up your xbow and forget to load your field point discharge arrow being frozen and in a rush to get home to dinner. im sure the list of possibilties could go on forever. no ones perfect and i dont see relying on this dry fire device.worse case it fails. you would have the same mess anyway without the device. sorry just dont agree the dry fire issue is all that cut and dry. there is a need for it . just gotta decide if its right for you. me im gonna fork up the 70$.