Arrow Speed and Noise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Aero320

Arrow Speed and Noise

Post by Aero320 »

I have recently watched all of the hunting videos on the DVD that came with my new Excal. Specifically, I have been watching for string jump. You can always hear the bow when it is fired but the deer that are around 25 yards are less do not jump the string. You do see string jumping on the 40 yard shots. It appears that the animal hears the bow noise and looks in thst direction, then sees the arrow and reacts to it. If that is the case, then you are better off to shoot the lightest arrow possible so the increased arrow speed will give the less time to react. The additional noise because of the lighter arrow will not make any difference.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
sumner4991

Re: Arrow Speed and Noise

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree, to an extent . . .I shoot the fastest arrow possile and still get a complete pass through. For the broadhead I use, the animal I hunt, and the bow I shoot, the Exomax for hunting . . .that makes my arrow weigh 408 grains. I kept adding weight until I get the results I wanted.

The more cutting surface the broadhead has, the more weight it needs. I like the very short tracking jobs that I get from the large cut broadheads.

The deer I hunt are not as large as some . . .weighing, at max, a little over 200 pounds.

I have only taken one deer at 40 yards. It did not jump. Somebody went through the math in a thread once. Speed of arrow vs. ability to jump. If you keep the shots to less than 40, then you should be OK as far as string jump.

Human error is still the number 1 issue when it comes to missing a live target. Either in the technique of the shot or in the building of the arrow. Then mother nature is #2 . . .wind, rain, twigs, branches, sun.

Super deer getting out of the way of arrows traveling at 300+ FPS are very rare, if not a myth. You just need to make sure your down range speed is still 300 FPS.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i shot a deer at 50 yards and it did nothing at all....didn't make any move/jump at the trigger pull or even as the arrow was on it's way, heck it didn't do nothing when it got hit....it just walked as it was eating and fell over within 20 feet :shock: ....as soon as this snow we got the past days days is gone, i'm going set my camcorder up by my target to catch any noise the arrow makes in flight as well as my crossbow at the trigger pull out to 50 yards starting from 20 yards....i seen some you tube video's that had arrow wizz as it got closer to the target and cam, don't remember if it was vert bow or xbow so stay tuned folks........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bob1961 wrote:i shot a deer at 50 yards and it did nothing at all....didn't make any move/jump at the trigger pull or even as the arrow was on it's way, heck it didn't do nothing when it got hit....it just walked as it was eating and fell over within 20 feet :shock:....
Bob . . .I believe you missed and that deer died of natural causes. :lol:

It's a crap shoot at that distance. I've had them stand there and I've had them be into their second leap before the arrow got there. You never know.

You are safe 40 and under . . .the odds start favoring the deer at over 40 . . .that's based on the math alone.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

string jump will depend on a number of things like from how alert the deer. I wouldnt reccomend the lightest possible arrow since its harder on the limbs, string life, and lacks some UMPH when it hits bone. I like keeping my setup in the 375-410grain range which isnt heavy by any standard but its not the lightest you can go
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

sumner4991 wrote:
Bob . . .I believe you missed and that deer died of natural causes. :lol:
is bleeding to death a natural cause :shock: cause there was blood all over the place :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've never, ever went for the string jumping thing, as fast as a deer can be, it's not going to duck, jump or side step a good shot, as far as noise goes some factors come in mind, is there a breeze that can carry any sound away from the deer, the reason I say this I had wind in my face and the deer were coming right me, I started clapping my hands they never heard me until the 60yd mark [not hunting season] I like my set-up which is speedy in 09 I shot a 350gr stick with a 125gr magnus stringer thru both front shoulder's of a doe, heavy or lite they all kill.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
strum

Post by strum »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I've never, ever went for the string jumping thing, as fast as a deer can be, it's not going to duck, jump or side step a good shot, as far as noise goes some factors come in mind, is there a breeze that can carry any sound away from the deer, the reason I say this I had wind in my face and the deer were coming right me, I started clapping my hands they never heard me until the 60yd mark [not hunting season] I like my set-up which is speedy in 09 I shot a 350gr stick with a 125gr magnus stringer thru both front shoulder's of a doe, heavy or lite they all kill.

Wes
im with wes on this one..im not saying a deer cant duck an arrow but more times than not its a bad shot with the duck as an excuse :shock:
I know i said excuse..but like most have said on here when a deer is relaxed and dont know your there it aint going to get out out of the way of a well placed shot..I think its an over sold topic that sells bows. it sure makes Sims limbsavers and such a lot of money..
My exomax may be loud but im sure the deer was more interested in the hole in their side than the sound .
I want my bow to sling an arrow as accurate and consistant as possible..that all. Seems like it gets real quiet after the loud ,obnoxious,exo has been unleashed.. :) then the noise is me whinning about how heavy and how far i have to drag :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I knowed them tick toters can & do hear my Bow shot & arrow coming to them. My shots in the area i have my stands placed are less than 35 yds. Seldom does one get away from me when i shoot. One of these days i will get a fast Bow to see if'en they can get away from it!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bob1961 wrote:[is bleeding to death a natural cause :shock: cause there was blood all over the place :wink: .........bob

I was just messing with ya Bob. But, you got to admit, that was a strange one, not your average result from a 50 yard fling. What the poster wanted to know was a safe yardage to shoot using his set-up and you gave him an odd ball. I had a deer to drop after gut shooting it, but, I don't recommend taking aim at the gut.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Sound does travel at twice the speed of an arrow. However, a deer that is relaxed and unaware of impending danger hears the sound of the bow/arrows and poises for flight-their primary defense-as the arrow arrives. One that has been stopped, like with noise or is otherwise already poised for flight, hears the same sound and REACTS instantaneously. (Personally I feel they also see the arrow coming at times, when in that state). Some call it string jump, I've even seen it demonstrated from a noisy safety. It's just deer doing what has helped them evolve over eons. Solution: minimize creating the poised for flight state in your target, either by noise, movement, sound or scent.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!