3D shoot in Elmira May 1st

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Re: 3D shoot in Elmira May 1st

Post by VixChix »

Bring comfortable shoes. Often shooters will wear some kind of hiking boot style footwear as the ground can be mucky in spots or uneven and you'll be on your feet most of the day.

I had no idea what I was getting into the first time I went to a shoot alone - I made the mistake of wearing flip flops... :roll: :lol:

Bug spray or a ThermaCell is a good plan.

At least 6 matching arrows. A hip quiver can be handy, but isn't necessary. Binoculars can also be helpful as those elusive center rings are sometimes not exactly where you expect them to be. :D NO rangefinder - obviously, as the challenge lies in estimating the distance correctly. The distance to the target is never discussed until all have finished shooting. If you have arrow lube, bring it - if not, another shooter in your group might be willing to share.

Be hyper-vigilant about making sure you have an arrow loaded before you shoot. That might sound like I'm stating the obvious, but the environment of a 3D shoot with people chatting, good fun and camaraderie can be distracting and, well, we got the name "Team DryFire" for a reason. :oops: :lol:

Most important of all, bring a sense of humour and be prepared to laugh at some of the situations you'll likely find yourself in.

Some fun trying to pull arrows:

Rob/Xbowkidd checking FOC (and being a good sport):

and a little silliness on video... it was tough to find one that I could post publicly (we get a little too silly sometimes! :oops: )

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u104 ... t09016.mp4

Here's Rob's 12 on a mosquito and TPM's robinhood on one of my favourite arrows:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u104 ... t09017.mp4
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I had no idea what I was getting into the first time I went to a shoot alone - I made the mistake of wearing flip flops...
Haha I forgot about the flip-flops . :)
Some day I want to be able to shoot as good as you`s . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
cmawdsley

Post by cmawdsley »

Written on the calendar in Sharpie marker!!!

One last(?) question. I've shared some of what you've all said about it with my wife. Now she's talking about coming along to watch.
Anyone see a problem with that?
Chris Mawdsley,
2011 Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Doe Master wrote:I would like to shoot this but will be coming back from turkey hunting that day .
Excussess, excussess!! Scared to get beat and have us make you look bad? :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Chris there is spectators all the time . :)
As for you Kevin making me look bad . Nature has already beat you`s to it . :shock: :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

cmawdsley wrote:Written on the calendar in Sharpie marker!!!

One last(?) question. I've shared some of what you've all said about it with my wife. Now she's talking about coming along to watch.
Anyone see a problem with that?
I know you'll have a ball, no matter what the shooting ends up being like. :D

Bring your wife! We often had our (then 4 yr old) boy or a friend walk the courses with us. As long as they know to stay positioned safely and not distract the shooter there's no problem. Be aware that depending on which group you're with they might expect silence during the shooting (no chatting while waiting to shoot)... our group was usually more prone to laughing during the shooting. :lol:

One year at Elmira we had this little one try to tag along with our group:

It was born while we were in for lunch break. Listening to it crying for it's Mama distracted me and I experienced my first 3D dryfire. :oops:

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Bugs and I have booked a hunt with Uncle Fester for that day so I won't be at that shoot, but depending on how the morning goes, one or both of us might zip up to Elmira and crash your party after the hunt. :D Who knows - if we get birds early enough in the a.m. we might be able to come shoot!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Here is the rest of the picture of Vix .
The fawn some how felt safe around me .
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bugs wrote:Whats that about trying to shoot a turkey? :lol: There will be 2 birds down, maybe even 3 :D :D :D It is all about positive thinking
Ya but but.......... opening morning they all go back into their eggs till hunting season is over!
Steve_Guelph

Post by Steve_Guelph »

I want to give this a try. So is it a team thing or do you do this on your own?

Steve
Micro Nightmare (Chucky)
Steve_Guelph

Post by Steve_Guelph »

How many shots per target?
Micro Nightmare (Chucky)
TPM

Post by TPM »

Steve_Guelph wrote:I want to give this a try. So is it a team thing or do you do this on your own?

Steve
You generally shoot in groups of around four. You can sign up to shoot with friends or just get assigned to a group if you're there alone. It's forty targets, one shot per target. After cocking your bow forty times in one day you begin to realize the benefit of lighter poundage bows on the 3D circuit. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

TPM wrote:After cocking your bow forty times in one day you begin to realize the benefit of lighter poundage bows on the 3D circuit. :D
Ask N8rBoy what is like for spots, cocking his heavy crossbow 60 times in a hour and a half! LOL
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

You didn`t hear me complaining about cocking my bow 60 times . :P
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Doe Master wrote:You didn`t hear me complaining about cocking my bow 60 times . :P
You shot a different night than us. I believe I did hear you all the way from Meaford!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: