Is Speed Important and how does it affect Performance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Re: Is Speed Important

Post by strum »

yall are all making valide points,,so much so i dont know who to agree with.. :D for one Boo hit it when he said its a personale thing..thats what i love ..messing around trying different things finding what works for me..
Two .. Limbs and Sticks.. wants to not have to fool with judging yardage ..Me neither..ill range a few trees..find my 30 yard lines..i wont shoot past that ..and then after that i just want to line up those cross hairs and watch the smoke show :lol:
Now Vixenmaster is more down with it ,,,CAN WE HUNT!!
I think he just set a standard.. :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
strum

Post by strum »

wouldnt it be cool if we could adjust our rails?...
Want to shoot an elephant?..just slide it out to its max .
feel like a relaxing day shooting some targets..slide it back in to lower the poundage..
need somthing in the middle ..click its there..
i know im dreamin..
I would name it the
Axiovixexocetamax 8)
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

You're not dreaming, Tenpoint makes/made a sliding crossbow. It's called a "Slider". Although I think Tenpoint makes the best compound crossbows, I don't consider the Slider in the same class as their top of the line bows. It's a compromise. In my opinion, it was an attempt to satisify more than one need, only not to satisfy any.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
wayne

Post by wayne »

I guess, fer me,....I would have to take the side of - It's a personal thing, or there would only be one excal model........But what has already been stated....I would sure like a excal that adjusted from 40 to 225 pounds by simpley changing a pin & the speed ring on the scope.....Oh the thing that could be done with that excal :wink:
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
strum

Post by strum »

ComfyBear wrote:You're not dreaming, Tenpoint makes/made a sliding crossbow. It's called a "Slider". Although I think Tenpoint makes the best compound crossbows, I don't consider the Slider in the same class as their top of the line bows. It's a compromise. In my opinion, it was an attempt to satisify more than one need, only not to satisfy any.
wow i learn somthing every day..did see that one coming
must not have been a big seller
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

If you are going from 100 to 300 then yes

But if you are going from 290 to 310 then no.
Tenpoint Matrix
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's just a matter of being comfortable with cocking the crossbow.

My Exomax is just as accurate as my Vixen. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything to gain the speed.

Actually, the Exomax is probably more accurate than the Vixen if the shooter has to shoot at various odd yardages without a rangefinder. Plus, it's easy to lose track of the exact yardage once you put a deer in your crosshairs and you are waiting for it to stop walking. Speed can come in handy in a lot of situations.

I do believe the Vixen is just as good of a killing machine as the Exomax. But, that's a matter of the shooter being "hunt ready" . . .not the speed of the bow.

I would be OK with "speed limits" . . .really, the bows are fast enough. We are about to lose our best arguement for having an archery season.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

Interesting post,and one that generally, creates many opinons. That is why it IS interesting. I am amazed at what gives people confidence in their sport. For one it's speed, for another it's accuracy,etc., etc. Well, I have come to the conclusion that we are all right and all have a unique blend that have helped to develop our confidence levels. We try to remove all negatives(excuses) that prohibit us from becoming better hunters/shooters. We try, as best we can to have the right tools, the right skills, at the right place, at the right time. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't. And if doesn't, we strive to perfection. It is rarely one thing that attributes to success, it is many things,combined. So, we reduce the luck factor by having confidence. More speed for you great! Slower speeds great! Whatever works for YOU, the best.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yarak wrote:Interesting post,and one that generally, creates many opinons. That is why it IS interesting. I am amazed at what gives people confidence in their sport. For one it's speed, for another it's accuracy,etc., etc. Well, I have come to the conclusion that we are all right and all have a unique blend that have helped to develop our confidence levels. We try to remove all negatives(excuses) that prohibit us from becoming better hunters/shooters. We try, as best we can to have the right tools, the right skills, at the right place, at the right time. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't. And if doesn't, we strive to perfection. It is rarely one thing that attributes to success, it is many things,combined. So, we reduce the luck factor by having confidence. More speed for you great! Slower speeds great! Whatever works for YOU, the best.
Welll done!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ComfyBear

How does Speed affect Performance

Post by ComfyBear »

Sumner4991 wrote:My Exomax is just as accurate as my Vixen. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything to gain the speed
Accuracy wise I agree with that statement, since my Exomax can be and actually is just as accurate as both my Exocet 175 and Exomag. However, I have found that to achieve the same level of performance (i.e. accuracy, smoothness, and undue stress), I must use a heavier arrow with my Exomag, than with my Exocet and an even heavier one with my Exomax. So the point I'm trying to make and the purpose of this thread, is that even though my Exomax has a potential speed of 350fps it can only achieve optimal performance by reducing it's speed. Therefore, when taking that fact into account, the difference in speed between the Excalibur models isn't as great as one would be lead to believe.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
vh64

Re: Is Speed Important and how does it affect Performance

Post by vh64 »

I appreciate your post comfyBear. Very interesting and food for thought. Never thought about it but your correct about my vortex having a "sweet arrow spot". I'm enjoying all the posts on here from you all. Vince
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
Limbs and Sticks

Re: How does Speed affect Performance

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

ComfyBear wrote:
Sumner4991 wrote:My Exomax is just as accurate as my Vixen. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything to gain the speed
Accuracy wise I agree with that statement, since my Exomax can be and actually is just as accurate as both my Exocet 175 and Exomag. However, I have found that to achieve the same level of performance (i.e. accuracy, smoothness, and undue stress), I must use a heavier arrow with my Exomag, than with my Exocet and an even heavier one with my Exomax. So the point I'm trying to make and the purpose of this thread, is that even though my Exomax has a potential speed of 350fps it can only achieve optimal performance by reducing it's speed. Therefore, when taking that fact into account, the difference in speed between the Excalibur models isn't as great as one would be lead to believe.

Comfy you know how your max shoots, each I'm sure are a little different as people with that being said I know I can hit a 50cent piece at 40yds from a rest with a 350gr stick and magnus stinger all day, this all didn't happen over nite, it took yrs to make the right combo for me that hits where I aim with out lost of speed. The only reason I got a max 225# is that they don't make a 250#, wish they did :(

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
strum

Re: How does Speed affect Performance

Post by strum »

The only reason I got a max 225# is that they don't make a 250#, wish they did :(

AMEN!!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Comfy . . .I understand what you are saying, but, I have not found that to be the case for me. There are other options to making a bow "smoother". Not sure what you mean by "undue" stress . . .I figure the bow is designed to handle the stress and if it doesn't, then Excalibur stands behind the bow . . .no undue stress for me, the shooter. :)

There are a lot of variables in getting the desired accuracy. Can't simply blame accuracy on the draw weight of the bow.

The faster the speed of the projectile, the more precise the projectile must be in order to fly straight. Thus the reason I switched to mechanicals.

This makes for a great discussion . . .but, your conclusion/solutions just aren't the same as mine. Not saying there isn't any truth to it. What you are saying can be true . . .I just don't think it's the only valid answer.

Question . . .is your opinion of optimal speed actually slower for all bows than the speed advertised? Either way . . .you have a difference in speed, even at all optimal levels.

With all bows shooting at optimal levels, then I still don't feel like I'm giving anything up to gain the speed . . .well, other than the cash. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TB

Post by TB »

Just a question Comfybear I have a Exomax and was thinking about going from a 20 in arrow to a 22 inch. That would add a little weight but I've been told longer also = more accurate. Have you ever tried that along with brass inserts?