horrible feeling

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

horrible feeling

Post by xbowrook »

had to try it sunday morning.. a little windy, but none the less, a good feeling day to be in the bush.. got to my stand and set up about a half hour before sun up.. shortly after the sun rose, i started some light rattling and some bleats and grunts.. about 7:30 or 7:45 am, after some light rattling and grunting, i look to my right and there's a little buck.. after last sunday's fail with a doe smelling me and snorting all the way through the bush, i opted to cover my boots and body with doe urine ( synthetic of course).. well, this guy had his nose to the ground and headed right to me.. walked to about 15 yards on my right side, so i put the old crosshairs on him and stopped him, THWACK!! he bull kicked and headed through the bush, my bolt still in him and his side was now red in blood.. gave it a good 25 minutes or so before getting down to look for blood, was honestly getting a little nervous, don't like seeing the bolt still in him.. so, down i go and start looking for blood, nothing.. hmm, walked a little more in the direction he headed, nothing.. after about 60 or so yards, i find part of my bolt ( the end with the vanes), and some blood.. now i got a pretty good blood trail, the buck should be anywhere up ahead.. nope.. i trailed this buck for over 3 km's, and nothing.. the blood just tapered off, and nothing to show for it.. don't get it man, 15 yard broadside shot, bolt hit right behind the front leg, a little low but none the less, a good shot... i hate to say it, but i think it may be time to consider a larger cutting diameter broadhead.. makes me sick to my stomach, i hate shooting deer and not finding them.. only happened to me once before, but the feeling never ever gets any better, only worse..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
shuey270

Re: horrible feeling

Post by shuey270 »

What head are you useing?
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

Sorry to hear that. I too have had that rotten feeling a couple years back. Nail a doe I saw the bolt go through in my scope. Great placement but away she went. Had 4 guys looking and found nothing. Rain was coming down so hard to find blood. We had to leave. I felt rotten to say the least.
Went out early next morning to look. I was trying to find blood my wife was looking for a dead deer. Guess who found the doe? Right you are my wife. My point is that i was so fixated on finding a blood trail through the corn I actually walked past the doe within a corn row.
My wife was simply looking for the deer. Maybe you experienced the same thing. They are har to spot most of the time while walking around.
The natives call them ghost of the forest remember.
I really hope it doesnt happen to you again, That feeling is not nice at all.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sorry to hear you didn't recover your buck. Not ever a good feeling. :(
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

At that range and angle, I'm guessing you got one lung and buried your broadhead in the brisket. I know, I've been there.

First visualing the arrow's path through inside of the deer, versus a target spot on the surface of the deer really helps before the shot.

You made a very good effort to track. Yes, its hard to shake that rock in your gut right now, but you will and you will learn from it. The fact that you currently feel the way you speaks volumes about you as an ethical hunter.
Last edited by ninepointer on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Had a similar experience on Saturday. Like a punch in the gut and the heart. So much so that I wanted to put the bows down for good.

I definitely feel your pain brother.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

punch in the gut is the best way to describe it.. by the way, i was using the 150 grain boltcutters.. about the corn rows, i thought of that when i was trailing him.. i kept kneeling down every 20 yards or so and taking a good look up the rows of corn..all i can do is learn from it..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I've lost a few in my lifetime as well most of the time because I pushed them. It is a sickening feeling when you can't find one and you know its dead. Better luck next time.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Had that same feeling this year! Would rather miss completly! But it happens to all of us.
planter

Post by planter »

Geez and I thought I was the only one feeling sick to my stomach. I looked and looked long.
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Deleted.
Last edited by Woodspike on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
singer73

Post by singer73 »

I use spitfires! Havent lost a deer since i started using them 6 years ago. They leave a great blood trail.What bow do you shoot?
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Sorry for your loss you gave an honest effort looking for your deer and yes it sucks!!!
My buddy always uses this saying "hit them high watch them die hit them low watch them go"
Two lungs are better than one. Good luck on your next shot!
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

Reading your post sounded like what happened to me just this week. I had what I thought was a good solid broadside hit right behind the front leg and he ran off with the arrow sticking out of his side. All my previous shots have been pass throughs and this has been my worst fear since I started hunting a few years ago. I searched for him for several hours but all I was able to find was the back half of the arrow. It haunts me that this guy is out there with a G5 Montec in his side. So far I have not seen any unusual bird activity so I wonder if he is still moving around.

I too have thought about putting the bow down after that but thinking it through I think I probably hit him in his shoulder and not the boiler room. I decided I needed to make doubly sure I can put the arrow where I want it, every time. I've had problems getting my Montecs to fly true this year and thought I had it fixed but after this experience I went out and got a pack of Spitfires. Even though I have concerns about mechanicals I put in many hours of practice since and am more confident than ever I am proficient with the new heads. I think you can learn something from every disaster.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

singer73 wrote:I use spitfires! Havent lost a deer since i started using them 6 years ago. They leave a great blood trail.What bow do you shoot?

this is my second year with my excal pheonix.. i almost bought some spitfires today, but opted to go with the jackhammer sst fixed blades, 125 grain.. i used them out of my compound bow and never ever had a problem with them.. i like the larger cutting diameter.. that is my only issue with the excal bolcutters, not a very big cutting diameter.. i know shot placement is key, which is why i went with such an accurate dependable xbow, but instances like this where , hopefully, a larger cutting diameter will give a little more leeway in terms of larger enterance and exit holes, leaving more bleeding in scenarios where the shot isn't perfect..