"Okay, you obviously dislike crossbows"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JT of PA

"Okay, you obviously dislike crossbows"

Post by JT of PA »

I was able to get some shooting in tonight by myself and having a great time.

THEN HE CAME ONTO THE RANGE.

A guy comes up with his recurve and starts shooting. 1st clue, he's not following the rules. Example: Do not start walking for your arrows while I'm in the shooting position.

Then, he asks me what my injury is. "Excuse me, what injury?"

He wants to know why I have a crossbow.

I explain I just like shooting a crossbow. "You hunt with that?"

I share that I do not hunt because I do not do well around blood.

THEN IT GOT INTERESTING.

Okay, I'm no Norman but I am not someone most people would go out of their way to mess with. I was able to work on my "staying calm" skills and after awhile I shared that obviousy my choice of recreation was ruining his. I bid him a good night and left the range.

I had no idea there were folk that really do not like crossbow shooters.

I guess I'm a lower class of human. :lol:

Sorry, if any of my fellow Forum members have had similar experiences.

It takes all types. :wink:

All the best.

Last edited by JT of PA on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VixChix

Re: "Okay, you obviously dislike crossbows"

Post by VixChix »

Yup - several times I have had vert shooters just go walk up to pull arrows and pretend I wasn't there...

The first time I try to assume it's an oversight. But when it happens a few times in a row I ask them to wait until I take my next shot - for their own safety. :roll: If they persist, I remind them that kind of unsafe behaviour at a gun range would get them booted out.

Once at in indoor range, I asked if if the other shooter was done pulling arrows and if it would be safe for me to shoot again? He totally ignored me. I couldn't believe someone would be so totally unsafe (not to mention rude). :evil:

Some people are strange.

I've had other shooters make loud comments to each other about my crossbow... sometimes it's amusing, sometimes its offensive. Tough to stay civil when they start to get to you, but I try to use humour to come along side them. I offer them to shoot my bow, I even cock it for them. Most take me up on the offer and sometimes we manage to find some common ground.

Some people will never be willing to broaden their horizons - sucks to be them! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

VixChix ... you have a wonderful attitude.

I try to be upbeat and in constant "peace-maker" mode.

Tonight though ... it just struck me the wrong way in a BIG WAY.

I guess weasels come in all shapes and sizes. (Sorry, I'm being testy)

Thank You for sharing your experiences ... I'm not alone. :)

All the best.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I have guys at work that make comments since I have chosen a crossbow for archery season. I consider the source and mostly agree to disagree with them. Some people like to go out of their way to start an argument just like the guy you encountered. I wouldn't have given him three of my words let alone carry a conversation if he approached me with those comments.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Go girl! Hang in there. My brother is on a lease not far from ours near Fredricksburg. The landowner dropped by their camp one afternoon and when he noticed our crossbows (two identical Vixen's) leaning against the camper it was obvious there was disapproval in his attitude. As he stood with crossed arms staring down at them I walked up and said, "These things are much more accurate than our vertical bows." I picked one up and held it toward him. "Come on, shoot it." He paused but then followed me to the target. After two shots which by the way went in the center of the black dot, he looked down at the crossbow and said, "I'll be got dang. That thang if fast. I like that. Might have to get me one of them."
People just don't realize until they try these things how accurate, deadly and and fun they are to shoot. BTW, the landowner wanted to shoot it three more times.....eh eh eh....I let him know it was the best one made...an Excalibur.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You're right on, Mr. B!

Often once people get a chance to try a xbow they can't help but smile. Shooting them is FUN!

And yet - they're not as easy as it might seem: tougher to carry around in the woods, front-heavy, can be tougher to steady, slower to reload... and not always faster downrange than the verts.

At 3D shoots I've been to, usually the high scoring vert bow shooters score higher than the xbow shooters.

BTW, I'm not all sugar and spice... I confess that I'm not above muttering about some of the rude vert shooters, and mocking some of the more ignorant of the anti xbowers! :oops:
Last edited by VixChix on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I love rude , obnoxious, disrespectful people :shock: ( love to see them yelling for help laying on the ground :lol: :lol: :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Ask them how well their bow would shoot after being run over... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
the elf

Post by the elf »

I have run into the same type of person in my travels -----and
also when I have been shooting my recurves or longbows ;and
have had to wait while the guys with the training wheels used their range finders to figure out stuff ;with no concern for the rest of the people that were waiting to shoot.With snide remarks
thrown in as a bonus. :x :x :x
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

The red part of his laminated recurve makes me think it was a Black Widow, one-piece.

I guess my crossbow was an affront to his "classical, purity of achery" recurve.

Huh, I never considered myself a rebel / bad boy. :)

"He rode into town with an Ibex strapped to his back ... a child cried as the townspeople ran for their homes ..." :lol:

The Good, The Bad and the Ibex. (sorry, long day) :wink:

JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Sorry all, can't resist.

Just one bit of what happened when I say THEN IT GOT INTERESTING.

He asked why I was using a rope cocker. His exact phrase was, "Just man up and yank it back". 1 ..... 2 ..... 3 ..... 4 ..... 5 .... THEN, IT WENT DOWNHILL.

My childhood Sunday School teacher Mrs. Mayes would have been proud of my turning the other cheek. :lol: I'm too old and know better, but for some reason today, that goober got under my skin in a real way.

The only way I can explain it is I could not understand his behavior and was trying to give him the chance to rectify his actions/words.

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Threads like this is why I like this forum - it's a place to be with people who "get it". Makes me feel a little less like a square peg in a round hole! :lol:
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

JT of PA wrote:.

I was able to get some shooting in tonight by myself and having a great time.

THEN HE CAME ONTO THE RANGE.

A guy comes up with his recurve and starts shooting. 1st clue, he's not following the rules. Example: Do not start walking for your arrows while I'm in the shooting position.

Then, he asks me what my injury is. "Excuse me, what injury?"

He wants to know why I have a crossbow.

I explain I just like shooting a crossbow. "You hunt with that?"

I share that I do not hunt because I do not do well around blood.

THEN IT GOT INTERESTING.

Okay, I'm no Norman but I am not someone most people would go out of their way to mess with. I was able to work on my "staying calm" skills and after awhile I shared that obviousy my choice of recreation was ruining his. I bid him a good night and left the range.

I had no idea there were folk that really do not like crossbow shooters.

I guess I'm a lower class of human. :lol:

Sorry, if any of my fellow Forum members have had similar experiences.

It takes all types. :wink:

All the best.

good on you for holding your cool, I grew up pretty hard and I refuse to take any shite from idiots, as I got older I learnt to keep my hands in my pockets (and out of trouble), it does take all sorts, some are good some are fools, and I know that it takes a better, stronger person to smile and walk away than to lay some deserving muppet out, even though you know they would get the point if you did, you are a stronger man than he my friend. much respect, M
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
secret

Post by secret »

Around here they call them "Crossguns". One time going into the woods a guy with a vert stopped to tell me why im killing all the deer with my scoped crossgun. So i stop any listened to his rant. after ten minutes of bs. he said why do you only carry 2 arrows? I said i only get 1 shot so why carry more.The second one for if i drop one out of my stand!!!! i convinced him to meet me by my truck at noon. I left early went home grab a block target and some arrows and went back before he returned. He came out and insisted all the deer were dead. I pulled out my croosbow set the target at 30 yrds and said... You shoot guns right? He said yep.show me then. 1 shot 7' low 4" right 2nd 8" high 3" left 3rd shot was about 4 ' low. 2" right why did you miss? He said it your bow its off. I proceeded to drop arrow after arrow into the bullseye. You try same thing happened[a Excalibur not hitting bullseyes lol] He said it must TAKE SOME SKILL to shoot a "crossbow"[no longer a crossgun"] i seen him this year hes hunting with a Crossbow[wheeled one] I laughed all the way to my stand. He talks to me .... and asks me questions about how fun it is to shoot one. Full Circle in one Hour!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

secret wrote:Around here they call them "Crossguns". One time going into the woods a guy with a vert stopped to tell me why im killing all the deer with my scoped crossgun. So i stop any listened to his rant. after ten minutes of bs. he said why do you only carry 2 arrows? I said i only get 1 shot so why carry more.The second one for if i drop one out of my stand!!!! i convinced him to meet me by my truck at noon. I left early went home grab a block target and some arrows and went back before he returned. He came out and insisted all the deer were dead. I pulled out my croosbow set the target at 30 yrds and said... You shoot guns right? He said yep.show me then. 1 shot 7' low 4" right 2nd 8" high 3" left 3rd shot was about 4 ' low. 2" right why did you miss? He said it your bow its off. I proceeded to drop arrow after arrow into the bullseye. You try same thing happened[a Excalibur not hitting bullseyes lol] He said it must TAKE SOME SKILL to shoot a "crossbow"[no longer a crossgun"] i seen him this year hes hunting with a Crossbow[wheeled one] I laughed all the way to my stand. He talks to me .... and asks me questions about how fun it is to shoot one. Full Circle in one Hour!!!

Maybe I'll get that chance. But, give me a day or two. :lol: