Deer Hunting in a Blizzard??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

Deer Hunting in a Blizzard??

Post by drkeenan »

With only 2 weekends left I am dying to get out there but we have blizzard conditions. I'll be within a quarter mile of my house so safety isn't an issue.

Is it worth it or will the deer be hunkered down??
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
hunter with MS

Re: Deer Hunting in a Blizzard??

Post by hunter with MS »

Deer will be laying low during the storm will be up and feeding after it passes.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

If I was you,,,I would be out in my stand or ground blind.You just never know!I I know from experience that deer can move in blizzard like conditions,,and they will be more likely to be traveling in numbers.If you can keep warm,its a cool time to be out in the woods.JMHO

JUST DO IT!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
SEW

Post by SEW »

Corn if legal.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Blizzards are a good time to hunt! Deer are hunkered down and usually bedded waiting out the storm and are fairly easy to stalk up on. The heavy falling snow and wind does a good job of masking most sound you would make.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Waif

Post by Waif »

Just my opinion.
Safety first.
A working compass and know how to use it.
Maybe a decent sportsman's blanket should you need a windbreak.
Fire starting gear ,food and water .Sorry but why suffer unduly if things go wrong?
I've caught deer bedded in fowl weather before. Usually under umbrella type pines.
A Christmas tree plantation would be prime too. Or deep cedar bottom.
Heavy cover out of or below the wind.
Corn fields been getting hammered here the last two calm nights.
Must have been the barometer or something.
Little movement prior during snow and cold.
The deer should be feeding/moving when the weather breaks.
Then catching sun when rebedding on preferably southern exposures,eastern at least with wind at their backs.
If you go be careful and easy does it. Take a break if you begin to tire at all and stay dry..keep orientated and expect to not be able to see far or not at all , just in case.
Googles or shooting glasses for your eyes. Sun glasses if sun hits new snow after storm.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I have shot a decent amount of deer during a blizzard , lucky enough I was in a good blind with heat.I was always told deer won't move during a bad storm and not to waste my time .. I guess if your well prepared and have good knowledge of the area your hunting give it a try . I usually would bail out if trees and branches started falling .. Be safe
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

As they say, any day hunting is better than the best day at work! The deer are out there, and do move about in all conditions. It's just on you to be able to brave the elements or not. I personally would and do. Just choose a tactic. Slow stalking, or sit it out. Combine the both if the cold gets to you. Good luck.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

DaGriz wrote:Blizzards are a good time to hunt! Deer are hunkered down and usually bedded waiting out the storm and are fairly easy to stalk up on. The heavy falling snow and wind does a good job of masking most sound you would make.

You got it. Nothing beats the rush of sneaking up so close to deer that you could throw your bow and hit one.

However, with heavy snowfall you'll need to move a bit quicker if you're tracking in an area with older tracks as it'll be easy to lose the track. Waking up to a fresh 6-8" of nice quiet snow with a bit still falling is a great thing for the still hunter.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I'm heading to Southern Ohio for the last 2 weeks of season, hoping the Temps start dropping a little more,,,, the colder it gets,,, the more I like it. Last year in 7 days, every year I save at least 2 tags just for this end of season finally,,,,this was the last 8 days last year, and had 2 already quartered,,,,

We had great conditions, in the single digits and teens, I wish it was like this from Oct. on!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Just before and just after a storm seems to be the best for me. I think the only negative factor of a storm is the wind. You can have a lot of snow or rain coming down and see deer however it seems to me that if the wind is blowing in the 20 mph range and up the deer hunker down until it lessens. I have hunted northern Michigan for over 50 years and I dress for the weather and hunt everyday out in the elements regardless of the weather. It always seems that the wind is the one key factor that can change if the deer move or not. High wind and deer sightings drop off, fairly calm regardless of precipitation or none at all and you will still see deer and of course the colder the better for sightings by far. Just my experience.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger