WHat Are Ya changin fer this Season ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

WHat Are Ya changin fer this Season ?

Post by vixenmaster »

I gotstid a new Hang-On but i need anudder one n 3 20' ladder stix. Cause i am changin 2 stand locations n addin 2 more. I will be gettin better arrows n usin diff B-heads, i gotstid a small used freezer but its full wid 12 hind qtr's right now. We will start somemore cannin in Feb. Getstid about 8 of them canned up. Of course i will be changin to diff strings as the yr eases by n i wear out a few servin's along the way. I have put a D97 strng of mine on Captain Morgan. I have jus put a new FF+ string on Captain Jack Sparrow last nite. Its taken 9 twists so fer jus lettin it do its thing. I may get to choot some this week, if'en i don't have too many chores followin me around! :shock:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
tomcat

Re: WHat Are Ya changin fer this Season ?

Post by tomcat »

I've upgraded the optics on 2 of my Excals from Twilight scopes to XB30's in effort to extend my shooting time in the thick cover during early archery season.
For late archery season and MZ use I've realized this year the value of a quality blind while hunting with my 9y/o, but it's REAL value when the temps are subzero and its ability to double your sitting hours in heavy wind.
Those are my 2 equipment changes, and my only tactic change will be to remain clear of my buck stands until last week of October and focus the early season on hunting with my son while the weather is mild. He is ready for bow season this year and I'm currently putting together a Vixen for him.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I'm not going to change or buy any gear this year but I am going to try hunting at a much higher altitude. Our summers are lasting longer with more heat so I figure I will have better hunts up high in alpine country. Plus I can get away from all these damn cattle.
Hank
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

A few things...
1- arrows for my short stroke bows will be 16" instead of 17" and I'm going with a new broadhead, probably the crossbow trauma.
2- arrows for my 410 XTRA will be 19" and use a brass insert instead of aluminum, adding about 50gr to my setup.
3- just got my bows completely decked out in Ti...the new scope mount screws are a huge upgrade.
4- I'm adding a single stage triggertech to my wife's 310.
5- Looking to get rid of the 1.5-4x Firedot on my 410 to replace it with a 2-7x or 3-9x VXR

NO NEW BOWS, (I have to keep telling myself that!)
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

I will reposition stands that are not in cedar trees to cedar trees, with very few exceptions. Also, planning on making a few ground blinds using natural materials: bushes being tied over cattle fencing/tarps.
No changes to the 2 Matrix xbows.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have a new property to figure and have been stocking up. Need to position 2 ladders and at least 2 ground blinds and may put a feeder on there too.

Switching exclusively to RamCat 125s on Zombie Slayers at 16" for my Micro, but no other equipment changes other than that....and I just need to make those up.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

deleted by poster !
Last edited by papabear1 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Being a longbow shooter for 30 years i could not hunt from a blind. I generally prefer to be in a tree but the crossbow n the blind worked like a charm n im gonna set up 2 more this year.I really enjoyed the blind especially on crappy days.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Well . . .last year i let 18 pass in 2 days, although we did great in muzzleloading and rifle season. there's something about flinging sticks and broadheads that really has a hold on me and this year i'm not going to be as choosey. Being i'm new to xbow hunting all over again i'm finding out what works and what doesn't for me.

one thing i did do this year was go lighter into the woods (not carrying everything i thought i had to have) it just seemed better for me.

going to get a new xbow or try to so saving now. as we ALL want things NOW i'm going to hold, listen and read the reviews coming in as the months pass.

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I have been humming and hawing over what new crossbow to buy .first I was stuck between the micro and the 380. Now that the 350 has come on the shelf it really got my attention. Any advice. .How long of arrow are guys shooting in these bows ..Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Equipment wise, I'm all set. Won't be needing any changes on either CB. I've always been fortunate to be able to pick a spot up against a nice big tree to plant myself and harvest. And stalking. Having scentloc clothing sure helps for that. Sure beats climbing a tree and finding a nice fat tree limb to sit or stand on like we did in the 70s with our recurves if we wanted to change from ground tactics. But after being on a few invited hunts with ground blinds already set up, kind of spoiled me into thinking it's really nice to be out of the elements. Just might be buying one this year for our own property. Elsewhere I like to remain simple and mobile as possible, without any attention or disturbance to the area. May pick up a couple newer model trail cams this year. Having pictures instantly sent to my phone from the site's.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Taking an ethical shot when presented. The lack of daylight deer sightings last year and the thoughts of I SHOULD have shot lingering. Is or will be the only change that I'm thinking early on..
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Going to try out the Executioner BH. 2.5" cut should do the trick. Need to build some arrows at the arrow smithing session. A string is on order. Servings are taking a beating with the Micro.

Other than that I should be set. Some might say I need the Micro 355 but that is TBD :)

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Moving a couple stand's this year is my big one ! Learned more about my bush this year and figure I can position myself better. Maybe drop my ground blind in for not so nice day's? Alway's play with arrow combination's as I'm a tinkerer, but that stop's come beginning of August as late September we head for moose. Scope swap's are to be completed in the next week or so.

Barrie
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm going to pick up some type of ghilli or kill suit for deer and elk as well as coyote hunting with a call.

Then there's that new "really pretty Micro 355" that's keeping me awake at night just thinkin' of it... I took 3 custom Recurves to the shop yesterday and put them on consignment....should all work out well I may see one of those as well as a Grizzly added to the collection. 8) The griz will hopefully become my everyday shooter with it's lower draw weight.

BTW, I did shoot a Grizzly yesterday and the trigger pull was very long, pretty rough and never sure when it was going to finnaly trip and release the arrow. :shock: :roll: ... :roll: Are they all that bad ? I never realized just how good the triggers were in my Matrix and micro until I shot that one. :wink:

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier