String Silencers or limb savers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dzohio

String Silencers or limb savers

Post by Dzohio »

I have a Excalibur grizzly and wonder if it's worth putting string or limb silencers on. And if it is what is recommended by the majority. Thank you ahead of time.
L. E. Carroll

Re: String Silencers or limb savers

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I would recommend a set of "Baby Bumpers" made and sold by Danny Miller of Horizontal Archery. IMO, they are similar too but better than REDS, as they last longer and are 1/2 the price. :wink:

You will have to specify that they are going on a Grizzly, as I think it takes the same length as a Micro?

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

IMO here is no point in trying to quiet your bow down with things such as you mention. They only cost you speed and give nothing in return. Plus you will never get your crossbow to be as quiet as a recurve or compound vert bow.....and the deer do not care.

As was mentioned, the bumpers are a good idea. After that a Flemish string will generally be quieter than a stock endless loop string, and depending on what you buy, does not have to cost you any speed. Third, use a heavier arrow. This will quiet your bow. It will also cost you speed BUT you will gain momentum which translates into better terminal penetration.

Good Luck with the Grizzly!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is quite a few people who use cat whiskers on their string. The question you should ask yourself is if the noise reduction is worth 6 to 8 ft/sec. Like Keith said, the deer won't care, so it's all up to your ears.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Brake pads(not air brakes) and bumpers both tame the vibration of string and limbs when shooting thus less noise with no loss of speed.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Any weight you add to the limbs or string -including the weight of the string itself- will reduce speed by a 1 to 3 ratio: 1 fps of speed loss for every 3 grains of added weight. One can reduce vibration with limb savers and string brakes with minimal loss f speed but the 'noise' a crossbow makes is not something that can be eliminated to that of a vertical bow. It's just the way it is. I've learned to deal with it by shooting at relaxed deer within a reasonable distance. (My personal shoot-to distance on game is 40 yards). Have not had a single deer 'jump the string' when doing so.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Most game don't hear the string till they are whacked if you do it right.
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I have the bumpers that excal sales on both of my xbow which are the Vortex and the Micro 335.All the deer and the bear I shot did not hear anything until the arrow was thru them. I talked to Danny Miller about making it quieter by adding whiskers or limb savers and he told me that I don't need them at all. I'm not into all that speed that you can get. To me a well placed arrow is what counts.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Dzohio

Post by Dzohio »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I got with Danny and already have the bumpers put on. But like everyone posted not a whole lot of difference. Just have to get used to the little extra noise. When you have shot nothing but compounds your whole life it just some getting used to. I love the recurve more than my compound though. Thanks!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Any opinions on the AIR BRAKES on sound reduction ?
Dzohio

Post by Dzohio »

Reduced it some but I do believe they will help me get some extended life out of my limbs. I believe in archery only for hunting anything worth hunting and I absolutely love my recurve. First I have ever owned. Used nothing but compounds before. Just have to deal with the twang. Deer will not know it. I would recommend Horizontal Archery for purchasing the bumpers.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Dzohio wrote:Reduced it some but I do believe they will help me get some extended life out of my limbs. I believe in archery only for hunting anything worth hunting and I absolutely love my recurve. First I have ever owned. Used nothing but compounds before. Just have to deal with the twang. Deer will not know it. I would recommend Horizontal Archery for purchasing the bumpers.
If you ever want to try a set of whiskers, If you'll send me your String I'll install a set for you at cost .
Then you can make your own decisions about how effective they are . Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]