Clear coat high gloss or matte?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hatchet

Clear coat high gloss or matte?

Post by Hatchet »

I have begun the process of learning how to hydro dip at home. My first couple projects were a cell phone cover and an eyeglasses case. After I dip a few more small items I plan to dip the stock for Axe #1. I plan to use rugged straight grain film over olive green paint. It looks like old grey weathered rough grain wood.
I have a matte clear coat and a high gloss clear coat.

Do you think that a high gloss clear coat on the stock will be to shiny for hunting? I plan to use flat black for the limbs. I have looked at some of the custom wooden stocks and some of them look like they have a shiny finish.
I have had some trouble getting pics to load but once I get them up I will post a bunch for you guys.
As of right now Axe #1 has been scuffed primed and painted and should be ready to dip this evening.
The factory finish on these bows is unbelievable. I had too scuff the finish before priming and the more I sanded the better the finish looked. I couldn't even put a scratch in it. If I can't get good enough results by dipping this bow I plan to just give it a blackout treatment with a spray rubber I have been using on another project.
Take care
Hatchet
janesy

Re: Clear coat high gloss or matte?

Post by janesy »

Hatchet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 am
I have begun the process of learning how to hydro dip at home. My first couple projects were a cell phone cover and an eyeglasses case. After I dip a few more small items I plan to dip the stock for Axe #1. I plan to use rugged straight grain film over olive green paint. It looks like old grey weathered rough grain wood.
I have a matte clear coat and a high gloss clear coat.

Do you think that a high gloss clear coat on the stock will be to shiny for hunting? I plan to use flat black for the limbs. I have looked at some of the custom wooden stocks and some of them look like they have a shiny finish.
I have had some trouble getting pics to load but once I get them up I will post a bunch for you guys.
As of right now Axe #1 has been scuffed primed and painted and should be ready to dip this evening.
The factory finish on these bows is unbelievable. I had too scuff the finish before priming and the more I sanded the better the finish looked. I couldn't even put a scratch in it. If I can't get good enough results by dipping this bow I plan to just give it a blackout treatment with a spray rubber I have been using on another project.
Take care
Hatchet
First off I'm excited to see how this turns out! Love to see the custom axe/mag builds. I'm so happy with mine it's not even funny

There are literally millions of high gloss rifles out there taking game every day. The media has trained us to think we need camo and Matte finished everything, when is reality, it doesn't matter at all. Deer see shiney things all day long.

But I second the toughness of the anodizing on excals products. My Cerakote guy sandblasts it to their spec and it makes a perfect base for refinishing.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Thanks Janesy I thought the same thing about shiny rifles. I admit to being a little bit of a camo freak. Part of me died when I scuffed and sprayed over the factory finish on my Axe. I have been drooling over a wood grain Micro at Wyvern Creations and decide for what it would cost I could learn to dip and dip a lot of stuff. If the job I do looks half as good as Wyvern I will happy as a pig in mud. I am still trying to post some pics but postimage is giving me fits lately.
Take care
Hatchet
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ghost blinds are mirrors basically, ain't much shinier than that! As long as you sit still, and don't stink, you're good! My first Muzzle Loader was walnut, but she had a long blued barrel, and brass everywhere, shined like some chrome wheels almost, killed some deer in at around 12 yards or so. Anyway, the sun should be at your back, or sideways anyhoot! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

If you created a Forum "Poll" I would vote matte.
My 2 cents. from the cheap seats.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

This is one of my first dips olive green base with rugged straight grain. One pic is with matte clear and one with high gloss.
[url=https://postimg.cc/DJBHPDJb]Image

[url=https://postimg.cc/8FdqjsT4]Image

This is the first large item I have dipped. After looking at the stock I noticed a couple "irregular areas in the pattern. If I can't blend the area I will strip and dip again. It was reccomended to double dip this stock by taping half the stock lengthwise. I think if I strip it I will try to dip and roll it. I plan to dip and redip if necessary til its right. If I can't get the details the way I want I will paint it flat black then dip it again. The darker the base the harder you have to look at it to see the grain.
[url=https://postimg.cc/94Y6gzRS]Image
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

That's cool hatchet. It's cool that you did it on your own too. Looks awesome
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Normous

Post by Normous »

:thumbup: A+ for DIY.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Ya looks cool! The gloss finish really brings the grain out
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Anybody know if it's possible to remove the rubber grips from my Axe? It would make dipping a lot easier if I could remove them without destroying them. Thanks,
Hatchet
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hatchet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 pm
Anybody know if it's possible to remove the rubber grips from my Axe? It would make dipping a lot easier if I could remove them without destroying them. Thanks,
Hatchet
They are glued on, with little "pegs" off the back to line them up, on some stocks the pegs actually stick though under the rail in the hand grip(matrix stocks for sure). I've removed two sets before, but was never able to reuse them. But I was changing colours and wasn't overly worried about them. If a wide blade was used to pry them off, and you cut the little pegs off, you could simply glue them back on. It's doable
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Well here is where I am at now with my hydro-Axe.
[url=https://postimg.cc/nsXTPKFC]Image
I had a couple imperfections that were about the size of a pencil eraser. Buy the time I was done "fixing" them they were one the size of a quarter. I am going to try to dip this again. I sanded scrubbed and scraped most of the finish off. One good thing is I really got the base deglossed and maybe this will work to my advantage when I start the process over. I still have some cleanup to do but will be ready for paint by this evening.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

They are glued on, with little "pegs" off the back to line them up, on some stocks the pegs actually stick though under the rail in the hand grip(matrix stocks for sure). I've removed two sets before, but was never able to reuse them. But I was changing colours and wasn't overly worried about them. If a wide blade was used to pry them off, and you cut the little pegs off, you could simply glue them back on. It's doable
[/quote]

Thanks Janesy, I got the grips off without damaging them. This will help a lot because after I dipped I had a rough tape line around the grips. In time I think the finish would have flaked away in those areas.
Take care
Hatchet
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

[url=https://postimg.cc/QKM4RC4c]Image
Well after 5 hours of sanding, scrubbing and scraping I finally got all of the paint and primer off and put a real good scuffing to the whole stock. I actually got some of the original finish to come off, that stuff is tough as iron and only came off with a abrasives, chemicals and serious effort. At this point the stock was very smooth with some very fine scratches to promote adhesion.
I then shot it in flat dark brown paint. It looked so good I considered putting matte clear on it and calling it finished.... but I am preparing to dip in Cherry wood grain. With this dark brown base coat it should hide some of the fine details along with any imperfections. This is a cheap plastic makeup case I dipped for my daughter. Bright red base with Cherry wood grain dip and high gloss clear.
[url=https://postimg.cc/xc5pn6Nc]Image
Well time to get back at it.
Take care
Hatchet
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I finally finished my Hydro Axe today. Put it in a box and shipped it to a real hydrodipper. :eusa-shhh: I am going to keep practicing on small items and will send this one to a dipper here in Maine. Dipping these stocks is a pain because of the multiple angles particularly around the finger savers. There is nothing more frustrating for a painter than to put a very nice smooth paint job on something then to ruin that perfect paint in the next to last step. I really wanted a light wood grain finish and wanted it to be perfect. If there were any imperfections in the finish it would bug me everytime I looked at it. My wife offered to cover the cost as a Fathers Day gift. What a gal! :) I will share some pics when I get it back.
Take care,
Hatchet