Dusting Off My Ol' Ibex!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SoldierMan

Dusting Off My Ol' Ibex!

Post by SoldierMan »

So as the title says I have dusted off my Ibex and am looking to get up and running again. I got into guns for quite a while hence me not using the crossbow. I also lent it out once and when I got it back it wasn't in the best of shape, which put me off even more. But I have since tweaked and cleaned and I got it working again.

I see a lot has changed since I was last here with MANY new bows being released! So I'm looking to purchase quite a few goodies from the Excalibur shop and so have got some questions for you good folk.

I live in South Africa so it will be one big purchase so want to get everything I need for quite a few years to come.

But before that I saw in another Ibex thread that Boo said the following:
Look at the lower rear corner of the pocket that the riser fits into. If it is a 90 degree corner you'll want to contact Excalibur. If the corner is rounded, then then you're good.
Here is a picture of my Ibex, do I have that problem as I am not sure of what he is talking about?

Mine also looks different to the one on the Excalibur website. The one they have there has a indented pattern to it, while mine is just solid metal.

Mine looks like the first one below, is there any major difference between the two or is it just cosmetics?

Couple questions for those so inclined.

1. The Replacement Blades, how many come in a pack? https://storeca.excaliburcrossbow.com/collections/broadheads-field-points/products/replacment-blades

2. There are quite a few strings in the shop now, is it the Excel String that will work on the Ibex? I don't want the Flemish string, just the standard one. https://storeca.excaliburcrossbow.com/collections/strings-accessories/products/excel-string-36

3. Is it better to use Ex-Wax or Wax-Lube on your serving? https://storeca.excaliburcrossbow.com/collections/maintenance/products/ex-wax https://storeca.excaliburcrossbow.com/collections/maintenance/products/ex-lube

4. Will the S5 system work on the Ibex? Does it come with bolts to secure it? https://storeca.excaliburcrossbow.com/collections/silencing/products/s5-system

5. Will the S5 system increase the life of the limbs?

6. Will the Ex-Sling fit the Ibex? https://storeca.excaliburcrossbow.com/collections/travel-storage/products/ex-sling

7. Is it necessary to lube the surface where the serving slides on or will the wax/lube rub off onto the surface?

8. When lubing (WD40) the trigger mechanism do you squirt it in behind the trigger itself or from above?

9. Can you use any wax (candle wax for instance) on your serving or is it best to use something specific like Excalibur's wax?

10. 100 or 150 grain broadheads? The Ibex shoots at 305 fps so would it serve me better to use a lighter and so faster broadhead? The 150 grain are cheaper if you buy the 6-pack, which I would.
Hatchet

Re: Dusting Off My Ol' Ibex!

Post by Hatchet »

The difference in the rails on the bows pictured is one is plastic the other is aluminum. I will let the other guys answer your other questions as they will be more help than me. I was wondering what kind of game you will be hunting. Always fascinated with the variety of animals you guys have there.
Take care,
Hatchet
SoldierMan

Post by SoldierMan »

Hatchet wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:13 pm
The difference in the rails on the bows pictured is one is plastic the other is aluminum. I will let the other guys answer your other questions as they will be more help than me. I was wondering what kind of game you will be hunting. Always fascinated with the variety of animals you guys have there.
Take care,
Hatchet
Ah ok thanks, I take it the aluminium one would be the better bow?

As for hunting, it will be anything from as small as a guineafowl to warthogs and up.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Most prefer aluminum. The plastic ones are referred to as SMF. I have two of these bows an Axiom SMF and an Ibex SMF and they are a great bow as well.
I raised Guinea fowl in with my chickens they were very protective of the flock. When a fox came around they would let you know. The noise they make is almost ear piercing. Good luck hunting,
Hatchet
SoldierMan

Post by SoldierMan »

Hatchet wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:05 pm
Most prefer aluminum. The plastic ones are referred to as SMF. I have two of these bows an Axiom SMF and an Ibex SMF and they are a great bow as well.
I raised Guinea fowl in with my chickens they were very protective of the flock. When a fox came around they would let you know. The noise they make is almost ear piercing. Good luck hunting,
Hatchet
Yeah when I was deciding on which bow to get I went with something in the middle, not the fastest but still able to get the job done, and are able to cock without the rope cocker without too much hassle, all in a compact package. The new range of bows are even more compact and powerful, must take a closer look.

Thanks. Yes their calls are one-of-kind that is for sure!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Definitely check out the Micro Axe. It is a very nice compact crossbow. It is now known as the Mag. If you can post some pics of your hunt, I would love to see it and am sure a lot of other hunters here would enjoy it.
I watch lots of hunting videos and enjoy seeing people hunt in different faraway places. I noticed you are new here, I am too. I have been here a few months and would like to welcome you to the forum.
Take care,
Hatchet
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome Hatchet. I still use the rope cocker on my brothers Ibex. I could easily hand draw it, but it's no where near the consistency of rope cocking. Just something to think about for accuracy's sake.
Hank
Boo

Post by Boo »

You have nothing to worry about if your mainframe is aluminum.
I've never bought them but I would imagine 9 blades for 3 broadheads.
The Excel string would be the safest string to use.
Any string wax will work well.
A string stop is not needed for your bow. With the Excel string a dry fire is not likely to do any damage to your bow. But it will lower noise slightly.
Yes on the sling.
Do not put a thing on the flight deck of the mainframe. Just spray silicone, rub it in to clean off any garbage and rub dry. The remaining silicone will leave the surface slick enough that most dirt will slide off.
It is likely that your trigger mechanism is lube with white lithium grease. WD40 is a poor lubricant but good at displacing moisture. If it were my bow, I would disassemble the trigger unit and apply MOS2 grease to all metal to metal points including where parts pivot. Doing that will void your warranty on the trigger unit. You might be slightly better off to drop 2 or 3 drops of a moderately thick machine oil or a CLP.
8. When lubing (WD40) the trigger mechanism do you squirt it in behind the trigger itself or from above?
Candle wax would be ok for your serving but most of us use nothing or string wax.
Broadhead weight depends on your arrow shaft. If it's a factory shaft then it's a 150 you need. If it has a 92 or 110 gr brass front insert, a 100 gr broadhead would be appropriate. You want a good.amount of weight up front. Too little and accuracy will suffer.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SoldierMan

Post by SoldierMan »

Thank you everybody for your responses, very much appreciated!
bcbuckblaster

Post by bcbuckblaster »

I have recently purchased the replacement blades. The packages that I received have 18 blades per package.
SoldierMan

Post by SoldierMan »

Few more questions...

- What is the shelf-life of an Excel String? Might've found a place in SA that has some fairly old strings on the shelf. If they are not dry, they should be good to go right?

- After how long is it time to replace your Dissipator Pads?

- Can anyone recommend a shop in Canada that will have most of the Excalibur accessories at a decent price.