Shooting Stick Types

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ridger

Shooting Stick Types

Post by Ridger »

Looking for some feedback on shooting sticks... mostly for target/ground blind use but would be nice to bring on a pack hunt if required.

Have been leaning towards the Primos Trigger sticks for their ease and functionality, but not sure about bipod or tripod. Obviously weight and stability is the trade off between the two.

Does anyone have feedback or experience with both, and if they prefer one or another?

I've never shot off sticks before, but is it possible to shoot a rifle just resting without a fore grip on the stock? Without kicking off and losing accuracy I mean. Crossbow is obviously no problem and what would be used most.
longbow joe

Re: Shooting Stick Types

Post by longbow joe »

A friend of mine somehow converted the ten point one that mounts to their crossbow to an excalibur it works good think it's called a steady eddy?
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
CFD940

Post by CFD940 »

My choice when hunting from the ground has always been a mono pod. I use it as a walking stick and then when I get to my hunting spot I collapse it down to the size I need. I’m always sitting. I’ve never shot a deer while standing. The mono pod I feel has more left to right movement and up and down movement than either the bi pod or tripod type of shooting sticks. By leaning forward while holding the stick I am able to raise the bow. Conversely by leaning back slightly I am able to lower the bow. Both ways do not involve repositioning the mono pods placement. The bipod is also capillary of the same up and down movement however the left to right is only capable with the swivel head making it difficult to do both moves simultaneously. Wow I wrote a whole lot more than I planned on. Hope this helps.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i just bought the bog death grip very stable great for ground blnds
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Death grip with my ms and able to use really one hand it makes the task of holding steady and shooting easier .
Sitkaspruce

Post by Sitkaspruce »

if in a ground blind, I use a Caldwell Deadshot field pod Magnum. I can just leave the crossbow in the field pod all day while I sit and rest, waiting for a deer. Then I can lean forward, move the crossbow to my shoulder and shoot.

Packs easy, sets up easy and in the cold (-25) makes no noise.

I have also used the Primos Trigger Tripod, which works well as either a blind or walk and sit shooting platform.

Cheers

SS
Boo

Post by Boo »

hunter with MS wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:30 am
Death grip with my ms and able to use really one hand it makes the task of holding steady and shooting easier .
I really like the Deathgrip! I am trying not to buy it because of the price. :eusa-popcorn:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:34 pm
hunter with MS wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:30 am
I really like the Deathgrip! I am trying not to buy it because of the price. :eusa-popcorn:
.....I hear your credit card whimpering for you to buy it! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have both the Primos bipod and tripod trigger stix. Love them both. The tripod is by far the most stable and the closest thing to shooting off a bench but it's heavier and I wouldn't want to pack it around still hunting. The bipod is very solid and much lighter than the tripod. It's easily packed around and the most versatile. Far superior to the monopod. If I had to have just one it would be the bipod triggerstix.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:16 am
I have both the Primos bipod and tripod trigger stix. Love them both. The tripod is by far the most stable and the closest thing to shooting off a bench but it's heavier and I wouldn't want to pack it around still hunting. The bipod is very solid and much lighter than the tripod. It's easily packed around and the most versatile. Far superior to the monopod. If I had to have just one it would be the bipod triggerstix.

Paul
....I have a few....including the Tripod and Bipod trigger stix, a really cheap tripod stand (folds to about 15 inches)...I also have the monopod with the 3 little leg extensions....(I think it is a bog)....i use that one and the cleap one mostly.....I like them all, they all serve different purposes!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
....I have a few....including the Tripod and Bipod trigger stix, a really cheap tripod stand (folds to about 15 inches)...I also have the monopod with the 3 little leg extensions....(I think it is a bog)....i use that one and the cleap one mostly.....I like them all, they all serve different purposes!
What? No Deathgrip? :eusa-popcorn:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 am
amythntr wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
What? No Deathgrip? :eusa-popcorn:
.....too pricey for me....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I use a Caldwell Deadshot when in ground blinds. :thumbup: It's like Sitkaspruce said, You can basically, "set it and forget it". Tis a bit cumbersome, but more than makes up for that in performance. And if you're like me and have a secure hunting area, you can just leave it in the blind once you end your day! :D

In a tree stand, I use an Excal Cross-Stix. Works for me. :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

x2 on the deadshot fieldpod in the blind and I use the caldwell treepod in the stand, as for sticks I use primos triggerstick monopod when stalking.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Booge

Post by Booge »

I use the Primos trigger stick in my hang on stands and in the ground blind. Its light weight and easy to pack
Bulldog 360
Micro 355
Trigger Tech
Zombie Slayers Spitfires
Vixenmaster Strings