*Update Upsetting Christmas Day and now a second one

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

*Update Upsetting Christmas Day and now a second one

Post by wheelie »

My Bloodhound took a turn for the worst on Christmas morning. Some better now but spitting up blood the past two weeks and going blind. Three and a half years over his life expectancy. What an 11 year ride with a crazy ass loyal dog. Would not even eat unless you gave the ok. Up, down, in, out, he always waited for his command before doing anything. Had many funny moments with him and his ways when others have watched him when we went on holidays. Calling vets Monday morning to put him down. Good by to "Wicked Lester from Cufoo Kennels".(for registration we had to be related to the band KISS).(We called him Lester) When he was two I thought he was bored so I put out feelers for him got a call from the Texas Police and said they checked his bloodlines and said they would take him. Both parents worked for RCMP and Champion show dogs and I asked what it he doesn't get along as a search dog as I would want him back. They said no that they would find him a good home. I said let's just forget about it because he loves snow anyways.

Took me three years to get him on a waiting list. Had to meet with breeder three times and have my home inspected. Only dog that can not smell their own scent so if they get away they can not find their way back. Much different than the beagles. They got lost hunting I would throw a blanket on the ground and go back and hour later and they be on blanket waiting for me.

He has only bite three people in his 11 years. All three were older lady's walking by the house and he would whimper at the fence and all three walked 30 feet across my lawn and reach over the fence to pet him. No black marks on the dog . Health Department ask me what's up with people walking across your yard to pet your dog. After three I put up a solid eight foot fence. :lol: Beverly Hillbilly's bloodhound was drugged. Bloodhounds are very aggressive dog's and only listen to one person, Has to be a male with a deep voice.

Life expectancy for a female Bloodhound is 3 to 6 years, male Bloodhound is 7 to 8 years. Lester is over 11 years old.

He always thought he was a beagle also. But he just never did fit in places the beagles could. :lol:

After the two beagles are gone all I want is a Pocket Beagle. Would think about a Jack Russel as well.

CHEERS! to all and a Happy New Year!
Last edited by wheelie on Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear1

Re: Upsetting Christmas Day

Post by papabear1 »

So sorry to read that you have to put your dear beloved lester down Wheelie
the bad thing about having dogs is we lose them too soon, lester gave you
11 yrs. of himself :(
you were fortunate to have him that long :)
sorry for the loss of your great friend.

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I feel for you my Brother!! It's always a sad time. :cry:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

Putting down a loyal companion is really hard. Those of us that have done it can really relate. It sounds like your dog has had a wonderful life. Dogs hold a special place in our hearts. Sorry to hear your dog's final days have come.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

So sorry to hear this, it is the hardest thing to do.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I am so sorry to hear this i know the feeling of loosing a dog and they are like or better than family sometimes. I lost 2 this year both was 13 years old.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Sorry to read this Kevin .
But as you said he lived longer than normal . So that shows he came from a stress free environment .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Brad Cayton

Post by Brad Cayton »

So sorry for you. Our Lab was a member of our family and we still miss her dearly. It's a hard thing but you'll have him in your heart forever.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I can never read stories like this without tearing up. Dogs can really get into your heart.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

We've lost our share of good dogs ,so know the pain! We raised Newfies and the wife was well protected during those years. Had a Golden that was pretty awesome too. My son brought home a chow german shepard mix that was a noted coyote killer back in his day. some one dropped off a mix, looked like a Canaan dog when we were living on the farm. had her 14 years. tore me up to put her down but she got the parvo.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sorry.... been there many times.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I'm sure anyone of us who had dogs , know what you are feeling and going through.

No more for us !
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

They are our Family. Been over a year, and I find it still damn tough...

"A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.
He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'
'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.
Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.
Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up'.The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveller asked.
'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'
'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in..'
'How about my friend here?' the traveller gestured to the dog.
There should be a bowl by the pump.'

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveller filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

'What do you call this place?' the traveller asked.
This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveller said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'"
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
DanO

Post by DanO »

Sorry for the loss of your family member (dog)! It's never easy to put a dog down and it's awful hard to move on after their loss. I still get down when I think of my cocker spaniel. Lost her on Labour Day.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our eleven year old Golden Retriever back in February and our seventeen year old cat back in September. I'm down to a single nine year old chocolate lab. After he's gone, we're taking a break from pets for a while. Its tough to say goodbye to a pet you've had for so long.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: