OT / School me on Air Rifles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

OT / School me on Air Rifles

Post by IronNoggin »

I understand this has been discussed before.
However I am now somewhat concerned with the way the new prohibitions are going so am thinking of leaping.
Always wanted a decent to good air rifle to deal with pests and simply have fun with.

So, any advice?
Want something as accurate as possible, capable of knocking one of those obnoxious Who Who's over at 40 yards, yet won't break the bank.

Does such an item exist?

Wondering...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Hillcountry

Re: OT / School me on Air Rifles

Post by Hillcountry »

There are so many out there now but when I bought mine about 15 years ago, I looked at and researched them. I ended up buying 2 classic rifles, the Beeman R9 and the RWS Diana. Both beautiful and well made air rifles and about the same in price. No sure how much they are now but they sure are a joy to shoot. Accurate out to 50-60 yards and I used to hit a circular saw blade hung on a tree regularly at 100 yds. Both 177 caliber.
Check out Pyramid Air online...there was another big air gun outfit too but I don’t recall the name. Many a critter was eliminated with those rifles...from starlings to chipmunks to squirrels and a few woodchucks too. My air rifles came with scopes which are great and hold a zero well. You can buy them without optics of course.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

A 22 caliber air rifle will be more accurate and have more penetrating power than a .177
I like the 1300 fps .177 Gamo I bought, but I should have went with the 22 caliber. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Take a look at www.airgunsource.ca for Canada's best inventory and air gun source .
I have purchased two .22 Air Arms PCP's from them and both can shoot dimes at 50 y if I do my part.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I wandered onto Youtube and came across some rat hunting videos. Most were in Britain at dairy farms. They use infra red and other night vision stuff and pond the heck out of rats, mostly with head shots. The rats don't seem to understand that those two legged predators can actually see them. Just try a youtube search for air rifle rat hunting.

You realize of course that for those high performance rigs you will need a PAL.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Thanks for all the replies & advice fellas! Appreciated!

Have yet to make up my mind, but I am wondering about thoughts on the following one. Fixed barrel, nitro piston, under barrel lever, and 11 round magazine all seem appealing. As is the price. So... Thoughts?

Umarex Synergis .22 900FPS

https://dlairgun.com/products/umarex-synergis-22-900fps-2251324umx-ar-000?variant=32674350628924

The Umarex Synergis has three primary features that are making the one-shot pellet rifle obsolete! Fixed barrel under-lever accuracy, smooth shooting T.N.T Gas piston power, and a low profile 11-shot RapidMag rotary magazine—all in a great looking, easy-handling package.

The Synergis departs from the conventional break barrel airgun design to give shooters fixed barrel accuracy that looks as good as it shoots. Umarex’s patent-pending Airflow Boost Technology lets the T.N.T gas piston transfer air in the most efficient way possible which makes the Synergis a true 900FPS rifle.

Included with the Synergis is a 3-9x32 scope which mounts to the rifle’s Picatinny rail. What really makes the Synergis head and shoulders above the rest is the low-profile 11-shot auto-indexing RapidMag rotary magazine. It's virtually automatic. The patented system rotates the magazine and inserts a pellet into the breech automatically every time you actuate it's easy to use under-lever cocking mechanism. Get stocked up on spare magazines, because you're going to want to shoot all day long!

.22 900FPS
2 Magazines Included
Rail: Metal lockdown picatinny rail
Trigger: 2 Stage, Non adjustable
3-9X32 scope and mounts included Gas piston
Weight: 8.0 LBS
Length: 45.5 Inches
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
curious

Post by curious »

IronNoggin wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:16 pm
I understand this has been discussed before.
However I am now somewhat concerned with the way the new prohibitions are going so am thinking of leaping.
Always wanted a decent to good air rifle to deal with pests and simply have fun with.

So, any advice?
Want something as accurate as possible, capable of knocking one of those obnoxious Who Who's over at 40 yards, yet won't break the bank.

Does such an item exist?

Wondering...
Nog
D&L Airgun in BC
I bought an HW 97 KT in 22 caliber you can shoot same hole in a dime at 10 meters its a powerful airgun. :thumbup:
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Another vote for RWS.
I use to own a RWS model 34 and they are rock solid dependable and accurate. Wish I had kept mine.
Like most all quality air rifles, follow the break in and maintenance procedures and the RWS can last you a life time.
Actually I believe they come with a lifetime warranty.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I bought a game 1400 black cat. 177. Love love love it. Stock scope is throw-away. Broke in 5 shots. Bought a 3-9 Tasso air rifle scope from Amazon.

Rifle has a trigger pull adjust screw. Found a YouTube mod upgrade. Recommended purchasing a slightly longer set screw to get more adjustment. Has a pretty good trigger pull now. Bought some 10 grain premium copper pellets for more energy and better groups. The killing power on animals size of cottontails is quite impressive.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Thanks for all the advice and replies folks. Appreciated! :thumbup:

Ordered the Umarex Synergis .22 today, along with spare mags and and 500 high end pellets.

Fingers Crossed...

Nog
DMc

Post by DMc »

Good luck with your new air rifle. They are really good for the taking of small critters.

One word of caution though, don't be discouraged if accuracy is sub par with your first box of pellets. Not only is there a break-in period, but most air guns will shoot only one or two types of pellets really well. Even different people shooting the same gun may find that theirs like different pellets. Unfortunately, there is no good way to predict which one that will be without trying several different ones.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

IronNoggin wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 pm
Thanks for all the advice and replies folks. Appreciated! :thumbup:

Ordered the Umarex Synergis .22 today, along with spare mags and and 500 high end pellets.

Fingers Crossed...

Nog
Good luck with the new toy! Let us know how you like it!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I have a lot of air rifles for everything from target shooting to big game. My favorite is the Eagle Claw Seneca lever action in.25 caliber. I really like my Benji Disco in .22 cal. I’ve killed hundreds of squirrels, rabbits and raccoons with it. PCP is definitely the way to go. My have a Umarex that needed service and they took care of it quick and cheap.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

FERAL GOAT

ME AND DAD WITH A RINGTAILED CAT