Has anyone shot Buffalo with an Xbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Whyitsmike

Has anyone shot Buffalo with an Xbow

Post by Whyitsmike »

Hello everyone it's me Mike from California, Gary L has sent my Vixen and it should be here anyday. We were talking about a Buffalo hunt and I was just wondering if anyone has taken one with a crossbow. Although I have never been on a hunt, perhaps with time when my accuracy improves there will be an oppertunity and it sure would be great to go with my good friend Gary L. And I hear the meat is real good, and I thought that if I ever was to have a trophy on my wall a buffalo would be quite an honor and maybe the hide could be used for a nice rug in my house. I live up here in the mountains but there is no hunting allowed. Because we don't really have any wildlife but Coyotes and squirrels, and it's mostly squirrels. But I just did not know if a buffalo is too big to hunt with a crossbow or not.

Thanks

Mike
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

BillT has shot a water buffalo.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

Are you referring to the American bison?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=buffalo

Here is a link from a few years ago, click on Los's vmass link for the story.

A search for "buffalo" also brought up 30+ topics that I didn't ck out as I was looking for this one:)

enjoy :D

leo
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Hi Mike,

If I were you I'd think twice about going for buffalo (American Bison) with a Vixen, buffalo are BIG animals with some bulls exeeding 2,000 lbs. And will sometimes attack you if you get too close. I would want to be sure that my equipment could/would get the job done.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but in my opinion it is questionable cause animals as big as buffallo, moose, elk, have thick hides and heavy bone structure, and have much thicker/dense bodies than deer sized animals do. Therefore I would rather be sure that my equipment is up for the task.... Others might say different, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it... :wink:

P.S. If you do decide to go with your Vixen, make absolutely sure you have a guy backing you up with a high powered rifle somewhere close by...

take care,

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

LoneWolf "but that's my story and I'm sticking to it... " did she put your cot in the attic :?:

Whyitsmike would think the Vixen is on the light side for American Bison, but they did it with bow & arrow back in the early days. Well you know the storys. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
DJH

Post by DJH »

Mike - I have videoed two American Bison crossbow kills. Both are featured in the Crossbow Chronicles hunting video. It's not how many pounds you are shooting, but arrow placement is a key element in taking one of these bad boys down. I also documented on video, my wife taking one with a 54 pound compound while a male hunter killed his with a 140 pound compound. My wife use one arrow, the macho man used five. In that situation, once again, shot placement was the key factor.
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

DJH wrote:Mike - My wife use one arrow, the macho man used five. In that situation, once again, shot placement was the key factor.
You are right on. As with any hunting situation, if you hit him right, any thing (just about) will get the job done. If you don't, a 600 nitro won't be much help :lol:
Greg
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

GaryL wrote:LoneWolf " did she put your cot in the attic :?: :
Image Huh???... You lost me there, Gary!... :?

As I said, I'm not saying nor did not say it can't be done.

And yes, of course shot placement is what really counts when it all comes down to it...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

Come up to Alberta. Up north, and I mean WAY north, there is a large herd of Bison which have been known to carry TB. Because of this, they aren't protected and can be hunted without tags or permits. I would advise having a buddy with a large rifle sitting next to you, as they are HUGE animals and can get nasty! The powers that be also recommend not eating the meat (although some guys say it's ok), and use extreme caution when skinning (triple gloves, face mask). I know guys who've done it with rifles, and they say they had a blast! Contact Alberta Fish and Wildlife and they'll point you in the right direction. The herd has been going in and out of Wood Buffallo National park and they are worried they will infect healthy herds there. Good luck!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

GaryL wrote:LoneWolf "but that's my story and I'm sticking to it... " did she put your cot in the attic :?:
I don't get it ????

What is it exactly do you mean by that, Gary ?

LoneWolf
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

LoneWolf wrote:
GaryL wrote:LoneWolf "but that's my story and I'm sticking to it... " did she put your cot in the attic :?:
I don't get it ????

What is it exactly do you mean by that comment ?

thks

LoneWolf
LoneWolf you tell me you have not heard that song "Thats my story and I'm sticking to it" :?: And his wife put his hammock in the attic :!: :shock: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

GaryL wrote:[
LoneWolf you tell me you have not heard that song "Thats my story and I'm sticking to it" :?: And his wife put his hammock in the attic :!: :shock: :wink:
Ahhh, that's what you meant... :lol: ... Nope, I can't say I've heard the song, and nope my hammock is still out on the back porch. Well it was the last time I checked anyway!... :twisted: :)

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I shot one buffalo with my Exomag last year. It was a small buffalo, the bolt went completely through. It wasn't much of a hunt, the guy had all young calves on his hunt farm. Next to our property we have a farmer that has buffalo. They are an amazing creature, I can sit there all day viewing them. There's nothing more natural than harvesting a buffalo with a bow, xbow, compound, recurve, whatever!! Buffalo meat is one of the healthest foods you can eat. Loaded with proteins, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, low in cholestrol, lean and not wild tasting.

I believe with small buffaloes, up to 2 years old, a Vixen would do a decent job, and could easily kill one. Anything bigger, I wouldn't take anything smaller than a Exocet, unless of course your shot placement is perfect. The most dangerous buffalo to watch for are cows with calves, if you get close, your toast. They will charge, period!! They'll likely run with their young ones, but they'll have enough of you in short time. The biggest bulls (herd bull), will not move a muscle, they don't have to, their king of the pasture. I've had my Quad right up to this beasts, and they never moved a inch. As soon as I saw their tail go up, I got the hell out of there. They are fast, short distance runners and can jump 6 feet no problem, if they want to get to greener pastures.

The buffalo farmer next to me wants to graze his buffs, on our land, but with B.S.E. and the borders closed he's just waiting to see what happens. I told him I would go partnership with him. He's got buffalo and I got land. Something tells me it won't work out, he's talking about throwing in the towel.

Go for it Whyitsmike, you'll love the hunt and definetly the meat is second to none.

Grey Owl