Is it worth building your own bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Is it worth building your own bolts?

Post by ecoaster »

Is there a noticeable savings in building your own bolts. I was thinking of getting some aluminum shafts, inserts, jig, etc. I realize that you can really customize them if you build your own, but I talking about just making some up for target practice. All I have right now are the carbons and I wanted to try some aluminims.

Thanks
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Digger

Post by Digger »

Cost for 20" bolts at A.N. per bolt with inserts and vanes or feathers

XX75 Crossbow Bolt - 2213, 2216 or 2219 - plastic fletch ....ea. 4.05 3.25
2159/68 XX75 Crossbow Bolt - 2213, 2216 or 2219 - feather fletch 4.85 3.90

cost per carbon GT per shaft

Excalibur - Gold Tip Carbon Crossbow Bolt 20" w/plastic fletch ..... ea. 6.75 5.40

Beman Carbon Crossbow Bolt - 20" or 22" w/plastic fletch.....ea 4.95 3.95

If you can do it cheaper go ahead. I buy these, then refletch when needed. not much savings till you have to refletch.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not much savings unless you factor in the unseen costs like mental hospitals, divorce courts...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
What I'm saying is for me it's also a great way to get out of the house and relax. Sometimes the real savings is not in $$$$$ alone. :wink:
wabi
TYE

Post by TYE »

wabi wrote:Not much savings unless you factor in the unseen costs like mental hospitals, divorce courts...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
What I'm saying is for me it's also a great way to get out of the house and relax. Sometimes the real savings is not in $$$$$ alone. :wink:
Hmm, I like that one... :)
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D for me it is cheeper , I have been building arrows for 28 years now , and selling them to friends and stores . and now also do bolts . I no longer do dipping and cresting , the new wraps are great and a lot less time consumeing and smelly, buying the raw materials and creating your own custom one of a kind arrows or bolts is a lot of fun and does save money. Your jig is your most costly item , but a good BITZ. will last a life time and pay for itself in no time at all, but best of all it is fun!!
GREYWOLF[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/ ... length.jpg[/img][/img]
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Wabi you are a man with great wisdom and insight... :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

A bit of savings IMO, but the main advantage to me is in being able to "play" with my set ups by changing nocks, vanes/feathers, without buying another arrow, kind of a personal satisfaction in doing my own work when I can :D
darkhollowarcher

re

Post by darkhollowarcher »

I dont know the price of componets in your area,but here in pa. i can build a dozen gold tip laser II a lot cheaper than i could buy finished bolts $34.99 doz. shaft w/end caps & inserts
$ 2.00 per 36 durevanes
+ glue and that equals self satisfaction plus cash saved
just my opinion
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Hey Steve,

That perch looks familiar!! Don't know much about building arrows. I'm making the switch to carbons. Gold Tip 2's, $5.99 each doesn't seem too bad.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
dw

Post by dw »

http://www.woodyssportinggoods.com/
$26.00 for 6. $4.33 each. gold tip laser 2's
i just ordered a dozen with no problems. go to crossbow accessories. they shoyuld come right up, you can get the aluminum or brass inserts.
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Chris,

You did a fine job on the other end of that camera :D :D :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!