Bragging time: Longest hunting shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JD Jones

distance

Post by JD Jones »

I mean no offence either, but I know who the two men are, and stand by my statement. Anyone who routinely takes shots like that endangers the whole thing for all of us. Bolt, I imagine they might very well outshoot me, an awful lot of people can :oops: . I limit myself to perhaps 100 yards. Here in Wyoming it is quite possible to see deer size game at 700, 800 yards, and way too many folk who shouldn't bang away. I have watched this, year after year. I have found the dead carcuses, game that ran off injured and was lost.
I'm sorry I was abrasive on such a laid back, user friendly forum, I really am. Boltshooter, I specifically apologise to you. I hope you have many, many years of great hunting.
JD
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Dont know about longest, but Ive shot some real close. Im not a tree hunter but a natural ground blind kind of guy. Have shot some while hiding in standing corn at 5 yards with my vertical bow and last year got one at 12 yards while in the red briars dug in like a tick and he never suspected me. Also vertical bow. This is my first year for the horizontal bow.
stump

Post by stump »

closest: bow = 15 yards, rifle 20 yards
farthest: bow = 17 yards, rifle 80 yards. I took a moose at about 200 yards, but generally I hunt in thick bush and visibility is limited.
Regarding long distance shooting, you can do a calculation using the initial fps of your bolt, the speed of sound at the altitude you're hunting, and the presumed reaction time of an alert deer. I think you'll find the safe "maximum" distance to avoid string jump or duck is about 25 yards for a bow shooting 300 fps. Variables include, among other things, wind, relative humidity, and the alertness of the deer. I think it's a whole lot easier just to limit your shots to a maximum of 30 yards under ideal conditions. As has been stated here numerous times, the challenge is to get as close as possible. As far as long range shooting with a rifle, I think it depends on who's doing the shooting. I can't comment on either of the men you referred to as I've never seen them shoot, but I have a buddy who trains snipers for the RCMP SWAT team and he practices 2 - 4 times a week at 500+ yards and consistently hits a small target zone. He's a very responsible hunter and I'd respect his judgement if he felt comfortable taking a 500 yard shot at a deer or moose, but I'd never consider doing it myself.
tcthomas

bragging

Post by tcthomas »

Boltshooter,

I think if you wanted to learn what the effective ethical range for hunting with a crossbow was, you should have asked that question. It was the asking for people to brag about their longest shots that maybe provoked a response you weren't looking for. Sorry, if you were offended. But I have to admit I was a little put off just by the wording of your initial question. Don't worry, I'm not offended, and I can tell by the backtracking in your subsequent replies that you wish you hadn't worded it that way either.

As far as the 'big name' people mentioned, I agree with JD Jones. I don't care who it is shooting at 500yds. Nobody is as accurate at 500 yds as they are at 200 yds. There are very few people who have what I would consider (notice personal opinion here) legitimate reasoning for lining up to take a 500 yd shot. And I've read enough of the 2 men mentioned to know that my philosophy of hunting is different from theirs, regardless of skill level.

My input for your reworked question. I'm also comfortable out to 30 yds, and would also contemplate a shot in the 30-40yd range if the kill zone was in unobstructed view and the animal was relaxed and unalert.

Tim
Boltshooter

Re: distance

Post by Boltshooter »

JD Jones wrote:I mean no offence either, but I know who the two men are, and stand by my statement. Anyone who routinely takes shots like that endangers the whole thing for all of us. Bolt, I imagine they might very well outshoot me, an awful lot of people can :oops: . I limit myself to perhaps 100 yards. Here in Wyoming it is quite possible to see deer size game at 700, 800 yards, and way too many folk who shouldn't bang away. I have watched this, year after year. I have found the dead carcuses, game that ran off injured and was lost.
I'm sorry I was abrasive on such a laid back, user friendly forum, I really am. Boltshooter, I specifically apologise to you. I hope you have many, many years of great hunting.
JD
No problem JD Jones. You're a good guy. :D
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

Hitting the bullseye at 50 yards is easy with my Paradox and it's fibre optic sites,but wounding a deer and chasing it all day is not fun.This is going to be my first year out and I plan on marking the deer trail every 10 yards up to 30.
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

The longest range I have killed a deer at with my exomag (@288fps arrow) is 32yds.

The deer was a mature doe that was totally relaxed and browsing so I was comfortable with that situation :)

Even though the deer was relaxed it just about "ducked" the arrow and caused me to miss, if I had not hit an artery then it would have probably ended up as a very poor shot or hopfully a miss.

Boltshooter, I've been reading this thread since you posted it and I also was confused as to your intent :) Thanks for clarifing it, :)
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Boltshooter you probably have figured this out but I will mention it anyway..

Everyone is different, every situation is different, every deer seems to be different, angle, wind, everything. Its all in what you are use to. you cant take what someone else uses as a safe distance to shoot and make it yours unless you have practiced form that range and feel confident..If you practice alot at 40 you probably feel ok shootin from 40. BUT there is always 2 factors (atleast) you and the deer and we cant control the deer..Its up to us to know when and when not to let er fly..Its a ethical question to ask self when alone in the woods. I agree its about getting them close thats the number one thrill in bow hunting not the actuall kill. to get past the ears, eyes and nose of a whitetail makes the hunt for most. the harvest, cleaning, sausgae and backstraps are extra. I see alot of deer when Im out and i could fling an arrow at any of them but why? I would hate to wound any and not find them..I let them live to come close another day.. I want to be able to get him close and then enjoy a quick clean harvest..Its all in what you are use to..

take a long shot and miss and wound a deer....cost =lost one arrow and spooked a big boy I didnt see in the bush. aggrivation!

follow a bad blood trail........ never find your deer waste all day lookin! cost = another day not huntin! pissed off now!

stomp thru the woods lookin more and more....funkie up the deer woods with human stink when i could be huntin.. cost = guilt, lesson learned!

Waiting on the shot to be right, letting the deer come to ya. makin a good shot, hearing that wonderful CRASH!!!!!
PRICELESS.... :D
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!