Deer hides (a bit long)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Allan

Deer hides (a bit long)

Post by Allan »

I was wondering what everyone does with their deer hides? A couple of years ago I started looking into tanning the hides. After a lot of reading and no real ABC instruction, I stumbled upon a product with clear steps on how to tan your deer hide (and other furs). It is serious work, but the result is great. I did 2 last year and 2 this year. I am using them as a hammock cover, but they have endless (?) uses.

We have all seen the “raw” hide

First, clean the muscle tissue, membrane and snew off the inside of the hide. I used a hunting knife almost perpendicular to the hide and stretched it as I cut the “stuff” off. This is the hardest part and takes a couple of hours. I have cut the hide more often than I care to say. If anyone knows how to do this properly, please let me know.

Next, lay the hide on a flat surface and coat it with about ¼ inch of salt, noniodized is requested (I don’t know why).

Leave it a day then clean it off. And I rinse mine. Let it dry so it feels like a wet chamois.

Here is the product I found. I bought it at the Leather factory in Mississauga (Ontario). I believe they are associated with the Leather Factory in the US.

It feels like shampoo. Apply a generous coat, and try not to let it puddle

It takes about a week for the hide to dry. This seems to be determined by the temperature of the room.

The hide will be quite stiff at this stage. I brush the suede side with a wire brush

Then I buff it on this to make it pliable

This is the final product...

Last edited by Allan on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Pics not working...
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
huntman

Post by huntman »

looks like alot of work. but one question what do you do with them after they are complete?
wabi

Post by wabi »

A lot of work in home tanning for sure! I've done several small hides for home display using the same basic steps you outlined, except instead of a spray-on solution I soak mine in an alum - salt solution for a week or more.
Looks like you have a serious tool to break (soften) the hide on!
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Would like to do one, put it on the wall next to the bear rug.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Allan

Post by Allan »

So far I have used them as a matress in my hammock, but I am looking for other uses including chaps for when I walk through thorny woods but NOT DURING HUNTING SEASON.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I just took 2 into the tannery, getting them done hair on and they charge 100 each. I was told it could take up to a year to get them back.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

$100 isn't too bad... I think I paid $70 25 yrs ago!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
maple

Post by maple »

I bought a book from Chapters called 'Deerhides into Buckskins: How to tan with brains, soap or eggs' by Matt Richards ($15.00).

For years I've wanted to try it, but never found a good set of instructions until this book. It sounds like a lot of work, but the book gives simple yet detailed steps. Well worth the price as it will save you lots of mistakes. This is for hair off buckskin, like leather but as soft and pliable as a towel. Maybe I'll try it some day.

As for the tannery NewGuy, where is it? I'd consider using it too.
bbbwb

Deer hides

Post by bbbwb »

Alllan
How have the hides stood up to the use? I understood that deer hides with hair on were not durable for use as a cover etc. as the hair in a year or so became brittle and began to break off. Thus, it was a mess to keep clean with all the deer hair. It was just the same as having dog and cat hair all over everything .Consequently, I abandoned the whole idea of tanning with hair on.

bbbwb
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

The tannery is located just outside Rockwood. It's called Whites tanning.

Rockwood White's Tanning (Greg) 5153 Eramosa & Erin Boundary 519-856-1099
rutman

Post by rutman »

Been doing the hat for hide thing up till now. Probably going to pay someone to tan one for me for the house display idea. Be careful what type of tanning solutions you use and how you use them. There are some that are seriously bad for your health.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have a hide with hair on that's been used on the floor for photos (sitting, standing on) been moved from place to place, mostly been hanging on a wall though. I haven't noticed much change in the hair and it's from the early 80's. I just run the vacuum nozzle over it a couple of times a year. It's still in really good shape. I also have beaver pelts on felt hanging up - they're from my parents and I don't know how old they are - no problem there either.

I had mine done at a shop. Have wanted to try it myself... but... time and space are at a premium here these days. We donate ours to Hats for Hides now.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Allan

Post by Allan »

The price of getting it done at a tannery has kept me from having one done. The bottle of TANNIT was about $36, and it does 2 full sized deer hides.

BBBW- the hair on deer hides does not bend well, it breaks, thus leaving hairs everywhere. My wife complains about the hair that I drag in the house, but the hammock is outside so it isn't too bad. I have heard that the hide will become "bald" as the hair wears off. Still, I like the idea of using all the animal, and I still might attempt to make a pair of winter pants (coveralls), fur side in.
bbbwb

Deer hides

Post by bbbwb »

Allan:
Thanks for the response. To use outside will help to reduce the problem. The hide should be warm and comfy though. Your comment about the "Tannit" being sufficient to do 2 hides though is worhtwhile knowing. I have made "rawhide' for snowshoe repairs etc. and this is without hair. I am wondering if removing hair and then use "Tannit" would give a useable pliable hide.
Any thoughts?

bbbwb