Black Powder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Camper

Post by Camper »

BTW I got to reading the posts again and I have to say that some fella's on here need to treat others with a little bit of respect. I'm not picking sides but there is ways of telling someone that there info is innacurate.
Were way better than that, That's why this forumn is so great!!!
Keep up the good discussions there's just no reason to be disrespectful.

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Camper, enjoy the new toy and let us know how it goes. I love my little Traditions Tracker.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

From my first post it is a Renegade model 3 years old. Is $400 a good price, and what is the advantage, or disadvantage of this model? I wouldn't have a clue where to start even loading one, but since a new hunting season will be aloud here, I might have to learn fast, Any and all advice is appreciated!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

MM

Where I live, that price would be too high. Since most people are using inlines, the side hammer guns just don't seem to have much value around here. Also, unless the seller took very good care of the rifle and was especially picky about cleaning it, I'd pass.......a used muzzleloader is often a gamble unless you know exactly how it was taken care of.......with the corrosiveness of black powder or pyrodex, pitted barrels are common on guns that haven't been cleaned very carefully and oiled very well.

If I wanted a side hammer rifle, and if the gun is in very good condition, especially inside the barrel, I wouldn't pay more then $250 US dollars.....and I'd offer less than that......
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm not certain, but I'd be suspicious of a T/C Renegade that was 3 years old. I don't believe T/C was marketing the Renegade then. It may have been available through the custom shop though. Now they've re- introduced it as the Renegade Hunter with a single trigger. The older model was esentially a copy of the Hawken with a 1" barrel and blued iron hardware. It was a fine rifle, I've owned a couple (percussion & flint), but as GH said, the sidelocks are not big sellers now. Not sure of the exchange rate at the moment, but I'd think $150. - $200 US would be top dollar if it's in good condition.
wabi
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Thanks for the advice? I will pass on it! What is the best kind of blackpowder to get for a starter that doesn't know the first thing about the terms used like flintlock percussion cap etc...
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Buy a .50 cal inline rifle that uses shotgun caps for ignition. Remington, TC, and Knight are great American brands. Traditions for imports.

Inlines far outsell side hammer guns and allow for easy scope mounting. They feel more like a regular rifle that you are probably using now. Flintlocks are for purists that want to be reincarnated Daniel Boone's. You need a 'coon hat for one of those! :wink: ...and "Hangfire" will become your new nickname.

A great muzzleloeader book is Sam Fadala's "The Complete Muzzleloader Handbook". It'll cover everything you ever wanted to know about muzzleoading...and more.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Buy a .50 cal inline rifle that uses shotgun caps for ignition. Remington, TC, and Knight are great American brands. Traditions for imports.
Gotta agree with Woodsman on this one! If you're new to muzzleloaders go with the simplest - most reliable models until you learn the process. Then if you want to get a little more primative, fine!
I would add that MDM has a new "economy" model of their break open action in Cabela's new catalog. I've never owned one (yet!) but it looks impressive. I've even been on the phone with MDM to see if they could make me a "custom" one with an accessory shotgun barrel, just been playing "phone-tag" with the custom shop guy so far though :cry:
I have shot a very similar (H&R) model in the past, and that was a very simple & accurate muzzleloader!
wabi
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I would agree with woodsman, go as simple as you can to start out. If you really get into it and want to start going to gatherings and rendezvous, then you can start going primitive.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice. I just hope I don't take my head off the first shot!!!
Next stupid question: To unload after an unsucessfull hunt, do you have to shoot it or is there a way to unload?
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

sorry I wasn't logged in above!!!
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I asked the same question a LONG time ago :wink: :

Woody Williams wrote:
Red Label wrote:question - because I don't know.

do you have to shoot a muzzleloader each time you go out, or do you store it charged with no primer/cap?

tks, Mike
I just decap mine. I've left it with a charge in it for as long as a month and still goes off first pop.
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

If I am going to go again within the next week I remove the cap and leave the charge in place. If I know it's going to be longer I shoot it out and clean the gun. You can also buy a CO2 powered device that attaches to the nipple and blows the charge out. I've been meaning to get one of these, just never have.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

MM

Before you buy an inline.......make sure they are legal to hunt with in your area!

For the most part, modern muzzleloaders are very safe if you use some common sense........pay attention to the loading recommendations that come with your rifle.

As far as unloading it goes, if you remove the primer/cap, the muzzleloader is safe........this is really all you need to do if you intend to use the rifle again within a day or so.....

On most modern inlines, you can remove the primer/cap......then remove the breechplug and push the charge out of the barrel......that's what I do when I am finished hunting and ready to clean or if I want to put a fresh load in. Just don't forget, blackpowder and most blackpowder substitutes are hygroscopic (they attract moisture, even from the air)........and, never forget, because black powder is corrosive and hygroscopic, you MUST clean the rifle every time you fire it........not necessarily between shots, but after every shooting session, even if you only shoot it one time! ......failure to do so very likely will leave you with a rusted mess! Some blackpowder substitutes will allow you to postpone cleaning for a few days, but you are taking a risk if you leave it uncleaned for any length of time.......

Don't let any of this scare you off, it's really not that complicated and it is a bunch of fun!!!

Post by Guest »

We could be getting a season here as early as this year in my zone, so I want to be prepared. Thanks for all the info. When the saeson is passed I will be the first one in line to buy one!!!