UPDATE: Bad Gold Tips still in the pipeline!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GonHuntin

UPDATE: Bad Gold Tips still in the pipeline!

Post by GonHuntin »

I order a dozen shafts from Keystone Country Store this week and I specifically asked about the mixed shafts issue.......they first said they would weigh them, then, they called back and said the guys in the warehouse were aware of the problem but that they had just received a new shipment last week and they were fine.......yep, you guessed it.....they weren't fine......I got mixed bolts! Mine weigh between 145 grains and 170 grains, with most in the 165-170 range........

Guess I'll be calling Gold Tip Monday!!

How long should I expect it to take to receive replacements???
Last edited by GonHuntin on Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I weighed all mine also Gonhuntin, the old ones were O.K., but one of the 6 new ones is 25 grains light. What you think I should do ? Send one cotton pick'in bolt back. Cost me half of its price just sending it. Do you think the company that makes them will take it COLLECT ?

Grey Owl
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I just spoke to gold tip on Friday regarding this issue... I was told that 10 to 15 grain difference is not a real problem, but if they are upwards of 30 grains then they will probably do something for you..

My bolts have up to 15 grain difference between some and there is not much they are going to do for me from the phone converstaion I had with them on Friday...

Oh well, I guess it's a take your chance deal with gold tip :?:

Good luck

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I'm NOT paying to return these to ANYONE......if Gold Tip won't send out replacements, then I'll contact Keystone Country Store and have them apply some pressure.......if they give me any problem, I'll dispute the charges through my credit card company!!

I would feel differently about this if I hadn't specifically warned Keystone about the problem!!
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

GonHuntin wrote:I'm NOT paying to return these to ANYONE......if Gold Tip won't send out replacements, then I'll contact Keystone Country Store and have them apply some pressure.......if they give me any problem, I'll dispute the charges through my credit card company!!

I would feel differently about this if I hadn't specifically warned Keystone about the problem!!
I believe you have a good case GonHuntin...

you have a PM
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I just weighed all mine. I go from 358 to 362.5. I take it from this post that I am well within the acceptable range correct?
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Golden Eagle......sounds like you are good to go!

I want to let people know.......I didn't need to weigh the shafts to tell I had some of the wrong ones in the mix! I could tell just by feel which ones were different.....I could also look at the end of the different shafts and tell that the ligher ones were smaller in diameter......it's that obvious if you are half way paying attention!
Last edited by GonHuntin on Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

GonHuntin wrote:Golden Eagle......sounds like you are good to go!

I want to let people know.......I didn't need to weigh the shafts to tell I had some of the wrong ones in the mix! I could tell just by feel which ones were different.....I could also look at the end of the different shafts and tell that the ligher ones were smaller in diameter......it's that obvious if you are half way paying attention!
Thank You GonHuntin and knock em down this season. :wink:
Spank

Post by Spank »

I just bought my bow and the scope package that comes with it. Will these bad bolts be in my package?
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'm not too sure if I wanna buy Gold Tips now..
Spank

Post by Spank »

How much are they supposed to weigh? 400?
doegirl

Post by doegirl »

The new TenPoint ProElite bolts are Goldtips, right? Haven't weighed mine yet, but are they too suspect? :(
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
-Thomas Jefferson
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Spank

Minimum bolt weight for most Excalibur crossbows is 350 grains......anything lighter and you risk damaging the bow (except for the Vixen which can use a lighter bolt).......doesn't hurt if the bolt weighs more, but you will give up some velocity.........

Sorry, but I can't tell you if the packages might have the mixed bolts???
Spank

Post by Spank »

Hey, what's the premium weight for bolts for the ExoMax then?
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Don't know what you mean by "premium weight"???? Like I said, the only thing a heavier bolt costs is velocity and trajectory.....in other words, heavier bolts shoot slower and drop faster.......however, If I was hunting something larger than deer (elk or moose), I'd give up some speed for the added penetration provided by a heavier bolt.......

The bolts I have been shooting out of my old Exocet weigh ~435 grains including the broadhead......